1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Ah the nostalgia! Fave memories would be MC, Onyxia and the events leading up to the opening of AQ. I started playing with an undead warlock on Barthillas and then a human mage on Frostmourne.

3. Post
    Huh, I thought GP had a "no private servers talk" thing? Regardless, I will admit to playing on private servers, I get the appeal of old versions, they're usually buggy messes that I eventually give up on, but there was a different feel to the game and sometimes I just had to scratch that WoW itch, especially since "world of garrison micromanagement" was very much not my thing...
    Last edited by Feliz; 8th April 2016 at 2:34 pm.

4. Post
    Nice, this means we can now talk about PRIVATE SERVERS and WAREZ

5. Post
    I think my brother just started on this not so long ago, will enjoy telling him his fun is coming to a soon end.

6. Post
    If they're going to pull shit like this, they need to reinstate Vanilla and expansion servers themselves.

**** the abortion the game is now, tbh.

7. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    Huh, I thought GP had a "no private servers talk" thing?
    Whoops! Quite right. Have removed that link.

I think talk of private servers in this thread is okay, just don't do as I did and link to 'em!

8. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    I think my brother just started on this not so long ago, will enjoy telling him his fun is coming to a soon end.
    You heartless bastard!

9. Post
    Expected this to happen sooner. I never really bothered with private servers, but I can see the appeal. It's just not for me.

Video related.

10. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Whoops! Quite right. Have removed that link.

I think talk of private servers in this thread is okay, just don't do as I did and link to 'em!
    too late I booked marked it!!!!! :P
    Winner: Ass Clown Award 2002!!! NEWS FLASH 2003 clown as well!!!

11. Post
    Older players found on the Private Servers, not as much content but far more enjoyable as you don't have a large amount of teenagers who quit half the time. Blizzard should follow up on a Vanilla server, the "worst case scenario" these people pay to play the vanilla experience and the company makes a profit.. No brainer considering the code and overheads etc would be in place for the most part already..
    Last edited by SSlukes-JK; 8th April 2016 at 6:12 pm.

12. Post
    SSlukes-JK wrote:
    Older players found on the Private Servers, not as much content but far more enjoyable as you don't have a large amount of teenagers who quit half the time. Blizzard should follow up on a Vanilla server, the "worst case scenario" these people pay to play the vanilla experience and the company makes a profit.. No brainer considering the code and overheads etc would be in place for the most part already..
    You would think so right? They should make it like the PTR you can opt in or not.

Problem is that they might not make as much money from it... its vanilla... it wont have expansions like current content would, for games sales etc. Or possibly people could enjoy it more and not play the current expansions. I guess they want a unified server player base.

Kind of sucks that they cant at least throw a bone to people that want to reminisce with older content and game play styles, talent trees. Actually people might find that the game used to be so much better than what it is in its current state... and realise how wow has gone downhill somewhat!

:P

13. Post
    Sea Monkey wrote:
    You would think so right? They should make it like the PTR you can opt in or not.

Problem is that they might not make as much money from it... its vanilla... it wont have expansions like current content would, for games sales etc. Or possibly people could enjoy it more and not play the current expansions. I guess they want a unified server player base.
    Eh, there's a proven market for it, right now that market is giving them $0, if they had a "wow classic" via a discounted subscription, or even a fully store funded (in which case they'd need to update it, keeping the 1.12.x core gameplay with some of the modern conveniences of stuff like the "collections" UI instead of items for mounts/pets/toys etc.) server like the current "veteran mode" setup they'd be making something off it instead of nothing..

14. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    Eh, there's a proven market for it, right now that market is giving them $0, if they had a "wow classic" via a discounted subscription, or even a fully store funded (in which case they'd need to update it, keeping the 1.12.x core gameplay with some of the modern conveniences of stuff like the "collections" UI instead of items for mounts/pets/toys etc.) server like the current "veteran mode" setup they'd be making something off it instead of nothing..
    I understand that. But they don't seem to want to split the the userbase... if they do a percentage would be paying monthly subs only for vanilla and as a result potentially NOT buying expansions... they wouldnt need to for a capped experience. I guess I'm saying that they seem to prefer to have one userbase that buys expansions. Perhaps their bean counters prefer it. Who knows we can only speculate.

In all honesty I think it would be awesome for blizz to have vanilla or bc servers dont get me wrong

I would prefer it myself, rather than "world of garrison micromanagement" as you said earlier

15. Post
    given the proven appeal and the minimal effort for Blizzard to set it up, the only reason is the need to keep pushing the subs to buy new expansions

16. Post
    It's absolutely not minimal effort

17. Post
    what the game needs is *new* content, not old expansions returning

18. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    what the game needs is *new* content, not old expansions returning
    Couldnt agree more about more content

19. Post
    fira wrote:
    It's absolutely not minimal effort
    the code already exists, the artwork is done, they have far more infrastructure in place . So yeah compared to making a new expansion? it is minimal effort. And the playerbase already paid for the server maintenance many times over ..

20. Post
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Even if the code still exists from back then, they still need to re-fix 10 years worth of exploits/severe bugs, and it will be very difficult to do so, since nobody will be familiar with the old codebase. Their infrastructure has changed completely from back then, it wouldn't even be compatible anymore. It would require a shit ton of testing, even more than a new expansion would. We're talking about Blizzard here, they don't release half-assed products.

And it's much more effort than making a new expansion, since they've streamlined their development process so much, there's really not as much that needs to be done. They've built tools to make creating content as easy as possible.

It is not minimal effort.

21. Post
    LOL you are thinking that they NEVER kept backups on their original builds, they NEVER kept a copies of their original server builds, their backups for the original expansions etc and how when they applied things they never made copies and builds for testing, changes and successful builds. You give Blizzard credit for being not half assed but you assume they have no idea how their own game works? which is it? Are they half assed amateurs with only 1 server build they continuously update or do you really think they have 10 years of back ups , test builds, cloned builds and templates for their servers and their game?

are you suggesting that a bunch of amateurs fluked it and kept vanilla wow going easier than the multi billion teams that Blizzard, the original creators can do?

22. Post
    fira wrote:
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Even if the code still exists from back then, they still need to re-fix 10 years worth of exploits/severe bugs, and it will be very difficult to do so, since nobody will be familiar with the old codebase. Their infrastructure has changed completely from back then, it wouldn't even be compatible anymore. It would require a shit ton of testing, even more than a new expansion would. We're talking about Blizzard here, they don't release half-assed products.

And it's much more effort than making a new expansion, since they've streamlined their development process so much, there's really not as much that needs to be done. They've built tools to make creating content as easy as possible.

It is not minimal effort.
    If a bunch of guys can do it in their spare time, I'm sure a billion dollar company can handle it.

23. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    LOL you are thinking that they NEVER kept backups on their original builds, they NEVER kept a copies of their original server builds, their backups for the original expansions etc and how when they applied things they never made copies and builds for testing, changes and successful builds. You give Blizzard credit for being not half assed but you assume they have no idea how their own game works? which is it? Are they half assed amateurs with only 1 server build they continuously update or do you really think they have 10 years of back ups , test builds, cloned builds and templates for their servers and their game?

are you suggesting that a bunch of amateurs fluked it and kept vanilla wow going easier than the multi billion teams that Blizzard, the original creators can do?
    dragunks wrote:
    If a bunch of guys can do it in their spare time, I'm sure a billion dollar company can handle it.
    It's not as simple as just deploying old builds. They need to fix 10 years worth of exploits. The result will be a mess of old code and new code, and fixes for things in current WoW will not be applicable in the vanilla codebase. And most of their current employees have probably never even looked at the old codebase before. I never said it was impossible for a billion dollar company to do it, but you are vastly underestimating the amount of work that will be required in doing this. You are seriously naive.

Private servers are never fully scripted properly. They're all fairly broken, e.g. mobs don't aggro as they're supposed to, boss mechanics simply do not work, etc. They're still missing some pretty basic functionality. Also, I am pretty sure Nostalrius was built on top of MaNGOS, which has been in development since 2005.

24. Post
    hosting private servers is explicitly against Blizzard's terms of use

25. Post
    So it seems they are back again with all of the original characters bring preserved. Personaliy i am looking forward to it. http://www.pcgamer.com/the-vanilla-w...er-a-new-name/