1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Good review, might want to change that first line to say "in the history of gaming"

3. Post
    Great review. "Ridicu-glorious" and 'smartdumb" pretty much sum up my experience with it so far.

4. Post
    Twernt no Pentium processors at launch... Twas ye olde 486 processors iirc

5. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    Twernt no Pentium processors at launch... Twas ye olde 486 processors iirc
    if you were rich... most of us plebs were on 386

6. Post
    Hhaha yea.

Was so stoked when I realised the computer dad had bought was a 486 and was better than most people had

7. Post
    Clavulanate wrote:
    if you were rich... most of us plebs were on 386
    Captain Comic and Commander Keen on the 286 yo!

8. Post
    Is this any good on PC with a gamepad?

9. Post
    Oh true, 486s! I feel I am probaly confused because it feels like we all played the original Doom continuously for about 700 years.

Ah, Super VGA! The version of VGA so super they had to literally put Super in the title.

Can't be sure, claxer - review was on PS4, but can't imagine a PC translation would lose that much (he dangerously said, aware of the horrible track record of incompetent ports.)

10. Post
    I had zero interest in this iteration of Doom for a very long time, even after the E3 reveal last year. It wasn't until I saw a couple of gameplay video clips that I decided to buy it - and I've had so much fun with it.

Lots of modern shooters have this thing for realism. Two weapons at once, careful setups that emphasise cover and positioning, and staying away from the enemy as much as possible while you take pot shots at them.

Doom doesn't give a **** about that. Sure, demons will kill you extremely quickly if you let them (I'm playing on Ultra Violence and even the weakest demons will kill you in two or three direct hits), but Doom just wants you to get in their face, **** them up with a shotgun, and rip their ****ing heads off. I was playing one of the set pieces along a corridor earlier this evening when I picked up a Quad Damage buff, and there's nothing so fun as just massacring demons with the shotgun. And then running out of shells, switching to the heavy rifle and watching three mini missiles disintegrate a pair of Summoners.

I'm so glad they went this route. Doom 3 was fun and creepy and dark, but I think they did a great job with this Doom to show exactly what was missing from a lot of shooters recently: compelling gunplay. I think most people love using shotguns in shooters, but in the name of "balance", most of the time we end up with neutered lame and weak weapons. Can't have anything too strong or the game will be too easy, or people will complain. This Doom just makes its weapons loud, ludicrous, over the top, and immensely satisfying to use.

I thought I would hate the limited ammo system, but I actually enjoy it. Gives incentive to change weapons and try different tactics against different enemies. The Plasma Rifle is probably the crappiest to use because it just doesn't "feel" strong even though it only takes 3 or 4 shots to kill an Imp, but everything else you can just switch between and lay the smack down. Just so much fun.

11. Post
    azarat wrote:
    I thought I would hate the limited ammo system, but I actually enjoy it. Gives incentive to change weapons and try different tactics against different enemies. The Plasma Rifle is probably the crappiest to use because it just doesn't "feel" strong even though it only takes 3 or 4 shots to kill an Imp, but everything else you can just switch between and lay the smack down. Just so much fun.
    Yep, end of every major set piece (before I upgraded all my ammo reserves) and the plasma was barely touched - I have used it for its stun orb, but then switch out and back to mayhem-shotgun etc