Dear Craft Beer Drinkers

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.20 average.
(5 votes)

1. Post
    I need to stop reading this when I'm broke as ****.

2. Post
    bobdobbs wrote:
    Well if you are getting into craft beers most people seem to start off going nuts on IPA's then discover a bunch of other styles so here's some mostly ipas worth trying at least.

NZ - easier to get

8 Wired - Hopwired
    Liberty - Citra
    Liberty - Yakama Monster
    Garage Project - Pernicious Weed
    Epic - Armageddon
    Epic - Hopzombie
    Panhead - Supercharger
    ParrotDog - BitterBitch

others.

Ballast Point - Sculpin
    Ballast Point - Big Eye
    Ballast Point - Dorado
    Bear Republic Racer 5
    Coronado - Islander
    Modern Times - Blazing World IPA

Plenty of others but that will do. Most of the beers from these Brewery's will be pretty decent really
    I've been noticing that other types are starting to take over some of the IPA shelf space, which I'm happy about. Nothing against IPA, but it seemed to sit will with the hipster movement and their want to fiddle with shit, being able to easily just throw lots of hops at it and say "ooo wow it's so hoppy, I'm so amazing and natural I brewed my own beer and then made it really hoppy". Kind of like teenagers discovering chilli and putting it on everything and as much as possible.

Having whinged a bit, Sweden has a goverment monopoly on alcohol stores i.e. there is only one bottleo, the government bottleo, and they stock EPIC Armageddon as one of there more standard beers (by standard I mean you can easily find it in pretty much all there outlets), which is a bit of a testament to how well that brewery is doing.

3. Post
    I like Steinlager, Flame, DB Export Gold.

If I feel like a craft beer i'll get Steinlager Pure

4. Post
    Craft beer is the shittest term ever

5. Post

6. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    I like Steinlager, Flame, DB Export Gold.

If I feel like a craft beer i'll get Steinlager Pure
    Have you tried Lion Ice? - that'd likely be your bag too.

7. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Panhead Supercharger.

You're welcome.
    You probably already know but you can fill your flagons of Supercharger at Regional. $18 for 2 litres.

8. Post
    Went to the GABS festival thing on saturday, had many tasty beers. Throwing all the hops at beer bores me as well.

9. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Have you tried Lion Ice? - that'd likely be your bag too.
    No I don't believe I have. Pray tell what are the defining characteristics of this storied ale? Is it hoppy? I bet it's hoppy.

10. Post
    clip wrote:
    All the ballast point beers, SO MUCH THIS. Also Garage Project VPA - sunk back a few of these this weekend

This... Also Death From Above. Also Renaissance Stone Cutter and their stout is very tasty as well.

11. Post
    ManBeastLove wrote:
    You probably already know but you can fill your flagons of Supercharger at Regional. $18 for 2 litres.
    High 5

12. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    No I don't believe I have. Pray tell what are the defining characteristics of this storied ale? Is it hoppy? I bet it's hoppy.
    It's easily on a par with those other "beers" you mentioned. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

13. Post
    Pretty sure you don't need to use speech marks, Steinlager is indeed beer.

Just cos it doesn't have chocolate or chili or something else just as ruinous doesn't make it less so.

14. Post
    I had some garage project beer with habanero in it at GABS. I like chilli, and I like beer, but i dont think the 2 need to be mixed. And not after already consuming 10 beers, it gave me a bit of indigestion.

15. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Pretty sure you don't need to use speech marks, Steinlager is indeed beer.

Just cos it doesn't have chocolate or chili or something else just as ruinous doesn't make it less so.
    As I say, I think you'd like it.

16. Post
    ^ Just call it cerveza and he'll be all about it

17. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    As I say, I think you'd like it.
    You "think" things do you? Don't hurt yourself.

18. Post
    If you wanna blow your face off with beery goodness, try the Epic Stone Hammer. It's better on tap.

19. Post
    I might see if those Lakeman samplers are still $20 at NW. Neve heard of Lakeman til I saw them there the other day.

Oh yeah, as someone said earlier, "Craft" beer is a shit term.

Edit: Just got it. Have noticed that apart from the wheat, everything else is pretty much just a pale ale of some description. Better not disappoint.
    Last edited by ChairmanDrew; 21st June 2016 at 7:01 pm.

20. Post
    Why anyone would drink anything other than Budweiser is a mystery to me.

21. Post
    ChairmanDrew wrote:
    I might see if those Lakeman samplers are still $20 at NW. Neve heard of Lakeman til I saw them there the other day.

Oh yeah, as someone said earlier, "Craft" beer is a shit term.

Edit: Just got it. Have noticed that apart from the wheat, everything else is pretty much just a pale ale of some description. Better not disappoint.
    I've had a few Lakeman beers at the Lakehouse bar in Taupo, and a few from the supermarket (NW still have the 4 for $20 deal on) - they're definitely nicer out of a tap/keg. I like the Lahar the most.

Just grabbed a Moa one i haven't tried, the Southern Alps White IPA; pretty decent.

22. Post
    Rex Attitude made me want to vomit.

This was the test line up for our wedding. We ended up with 8 Wired Sav Pils, but could have gone with Tuatara APA.
    Everyone drank the speights and corona and we had quite a few boxes of sav pils left. So much left for me.

Name:  284254_10151434619279552_1830334428_n.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  41.0 KB

23. Post
    Try the white bottle APA (American Pale Ale) next time, its like the big brother of the blue one (Aotearoa Pale Ale). More refined and nicer biscuity taste IMO.

24. Post
    Yeah I love that one too. We chop and change between white and blue. Also the NUI is great.
    Just don't get the low alc one by accident that looks similar.

25. Post
    Frederick James wrote:

Just grabbed a Moa one i haven't tried, the Southern Alps White IPA; pretty decent.
    That's another fave of mine. If you can find the Festive IPA (Belgian), get it. One of the best beers I've tasted.