Brexit.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post

2. Post
    BBC announcing win for "Leave"

Bad day for the British economy, all due to hysteria/panic around migration.

3. Post
    So if that ends up being the finalised result, does that mean UK will definitely leave? Congrats. It might hurt them in the short term, but I think in the long term it will be a net benefit. Europe and it's Euro is falling apart.

4. Post
    I do some work for there, so I prefer when then pound is crushing our dollar :/

5. Post
    I was hearing the "divorce" can take up to a decade to work thru.

6. Post
    bunch of muppets.

how can you leave such an important decision to the masses?

7. Post
    Thanks for sharing your utter contempt for democracy. You would made a very good EU commissar goy

8. Post
    guess democracy doesn't work very well when you leave it up to the emotional ignoramuses

9. Post
    It's true that a lot of questions aren't well suited to referendums.

Whether this is one of them, time will tell.

10. Post
    Yes but questions relating to constitutional matters are suitable.

11. Post
    spacetrig wrote:
    guess democracy doesn't work very well when you leave it up to the emotional ignoramuses
    It's democracy, that's all that matters. No-one really knows the long term result of this anyway, so don't be so sure it's a bad thing.

12. Post
    Well ain't that a shit. Wonder what will happen to my UK passport now.

Still, at least it will make Merkel sweat, can't stand that woman.

13. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

thats what losers always say

14. Post
    All long-term analysis has focused on economic stuff, but how will the people feel long-term.

15. Post
    Bobs wrote:

Still, at least it will make Merkel sweat, can't stand that woman.
    Why? Seems like a bloody good leader to me

16. Post
    trackers wrote:
    Damn good at destroying europe

17. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    All long-term analysis has focused on economic stuff, but how will the people feel long-term.
    Like this http://i.imgur.com/8C0qf3i.png

18. Post
    trackers wrote:
    Great leader of third worlders indeed.

As for the economic issues....i think we all know these bankers/financiers etc don't know shit. They've been wrong time and time again.

19. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

For referendums to work you need two things, good information and people who are capable and willing to process that information to make an informed decision. I think the Brexit campaigns on both sides have been marked by poor provision of information. The Stay campaign have been seriously OTT with the fear mongering rather than a more rational setting out of the consequences, while leave hasn't exactly made particularly strong arguments for leaving in the face of the damage that will be done. (UBS is predicting 12-19% drop in the FTSE when it opens).

As for people willing and capable of processing the information, I think a growing trend in the past decade has been people getting less engaged, less willing to hear counter arguments and more focused on sources that confirm to their preconceived notions.

In short, I don't think people can make good decisions within the environment that exists in many democractic campaigns at the moment, be it the flag campaign, Brexit or the US presidential campaign.

20. Post
    Cynic wrote:
    As for people willing and capable of processing the information, I think a growing trend in the past decade has been people getting less engaged, less willing to hear counter arguments and more focused on sources that confirm to their preconceived notions.
    Meh, it seems to be the result of an ever increasing population that feels disenfranchised and extremely fed up. I think too many people wrongly blame that on immigrants, but the EU is an undemocratic, corporate loving, excessively bureaucratic monster. Good on the UK imo.

21. Post
    nereVar wrote:
    thats what losers always say
    It's what turkeys say when there's a vote for an early Xmas.

Say more than half the country smokes and they win a referendum on banning smoking.

Should the smokers carry the day?

Of course not, because they're not the only ones affected by the consequences of their habit.

22. Post
    can someone quickly ELI5 the reason the UK wants to leave the EU? All the racists at work seem to think it's caus of Muslims but I'm inclined to not believe them.

23. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    Meh, it seems to be the result of an ever increasing population that feels disenfranchised and extremely fed up. I think too many people wrongly blame that on immigrants, but the EU is an undemocratic, corporate loving, excessively bureaucratic monster. Good on the UK imo.
    And there are politicians tapping into that to get just bad policies voted in. Whether you like the EU or not, and there are a lot of reasons not to (as you say it is a horrendous beast of a bureaucracy), the UK is going to wake up in a far less friendly world. Their currency has gone into freefall, their market is likely to see well over 100 Billion pounds wiped off within the first hour of trading, and any one whose business relies on export to the EU no longer has a good idea of whether they still have a business. Economies and markets hate uncertainty, and this it the ultimate in uncertainty because the UK needs to negiotate what access it will get and is likely to face a very spiteful EU across the table. This is not a good outcome for the UK, and yet Farage has tapped into the angry and disenfranchised to get it done. Not because it is a good thing, but because he wanted it.

24. Post
    Clavulanate wrote:
    can someone quickly ELI5 the reason the UK wants to leave the EU? All the racists at work seem to think it's caus of Muslims but I'm inclined to not believe them.
    It's because of Muslims.

25. Post
    Cynic wrote:
    In short, I don't think people can make good decisions within the environment that exists in many democractic campaigns at the moment, be it the flag campaign, Brexit or the US presidential campaign.
    pretty much. democracy is a great concept, but in practice... you get Trump.