Brexit.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    bombjack wrote:
    and then after that, IF brexit wins the referendum, shall we have have another? until we get a result you like? bottom line is they had a referendum, more people wanted out, that's what they deserve. not this circus where the MPs are getting in the way of democracy. what is this? acting like china or north korea is fashionable nowadays?
    I don't really care that much either way but you seem to have skipped the part about the obvious fake propaganda coming from third parties and the fact that the campaign was built on a lie that no one was able to follow through on.

2. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    I don't really care that much either way but you seem to have skipped the part about the obvious fake propaganda coming from third parties and the fact that the campaign was built on a lie that no one was able to follow through on.
    If there was a new referendum for a hard brexit vs. no brexit, I think it would be a very different result.

The clock is ticking.
    Last edited by s0cks; 14th March 2019 at 9:15 am.

3. Post
    There's no way they're leaving now, it's a fiasco.

Mind you, it's wonderful for the Europeans after hundreds of years years of being condescended to.

The French wouldn't let them leave now if they wanted to.

4. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    You think the Remain side wasn't telling lies either? Supposedly the UK economy would go into freefall after the referendum if Brexit was voted for and massive job losses would abound. No recession materialised and UK employment is its highest in decades.

So stop with this "The people didn't know what they were voting for" crap. People voted the way they did for millions of different reasons. Polling shows that very few would change their vote if voting today, and just as many are changing either way.... to ignore a clear democratic vote when the British people were promised that their will would be executed would be more than just political suicide, it would likely see protests and violence the likes of which Britain has not seen in centuries.

5. Post
    Esprit wrote:
    You think the Remain side wasn't telling lies either? Supposedly the UK economy would go into freefall after the referendum if Brexit was voted for and massive job losses would abound. No recession materialised and UK employment is its highest in decades.

So stop with this "The people didn't know what they were voting for" crap. People voted the way they did for millions of different reasons. Polling shows that very few would change their vote if voting today, and just as many are changing either way.... to ignore a clear democratic vote when the British people were promised that their will would be executed would be more than just political suicide, it would likely see protests and violence the likes of which Britain has not seen in centuries.
    Rubbish!

Whilst the Remain side led a terrible campaign during the referendum (tbh a lot of the things they said were happening to some extent - businesses leaving, the pound dropping etc) the Leave campaign campaigned for a Free Trade Agreement with the EU, and a negotiated deal upon leaving, which would be 'the easiest trade deal in the history of trade deals'. Absolutely none of this has happened. Not even anywhere close. They had 2 years to do it (one could argue 40 years, since 1975 when the UK first joined the EEC), and got no where and couldn't even agree amongst brexiters themselves what type of Brexit they actually wanted which says it all.

I'd say they had their chance, and they blew it. A clear democratic vote - yes, back in 2016, but none of the promises had been implemented or even thought through before triggering Article 50, so now its not responsible to be going ahead with it and its a different situation to 2016 when the referendum first happened.

6. Post
    i hope this ****s up both Europe and UK, it will be cheaper to visit then !

7. Post
    Esprit wrote:

It was not a clear democratic vote for reasons I've already mentioned. The fact that you think a second vote would cause political suicide(what? this has already happened. May is donezo along with the leavers who have all....left) and protests and violence is strange. Do you have a source or anything that suggests that? Because the only things I've seen actually seem to lean towards brexit itself causing protests/unrest/destabilization especially if there is no good plan(which there isn't).

But again I don't follow it super closely so I'd be interested to know why you think a second vote would be more disastrous.

8. Post
    Because it'll strike off class warfare. Brexit happened because of decades of marginalising the working classes. Brexit was their cry and to have it ignored would cause an uprising.

9. Post
    Esprit wrote:
    Because it'll strike off class warfare. Brexit happened because of decades of marginalising the working classes. Brexit was their cry and to have it ignored would cause an uprising.
    You'll marginalise the working class more if Brexit happens. The fishing industry will collapse without a deal as most of the exports go to the EU, the car manufacturing industry is already looking dire (the Nissan factory in Sunderland for example not going ahead with planned car production because of Brexit's implications), all other industries which affect the working class will become plagued with uncertainty for years to come, all because of a fake sense of the loss of sovereignty. A blue passport won't pay the mortgage or put food on the table.

I doubt there'll be an uprising either, every time a 'Leave means Leave' march is organised, attendance isn't exactly through the roof.

10. Post

11. Post
    Spaniard wrote:
    You'll marginalise the working class more if Brexit happens. The fishing industry will collapse without a deal as most of the exports go to the EU, the car manufacturing industry is already looking dire (the Nissan factory in Sunderland for example not going ahead with planned car production because of Brexit's implications), all other industries which affect the working class will become plagued with uncertainty for years to come, all because of a fake sense of the loss of sovereignty. A blue passport won't pay the mortgage or put food on the table.

I doubt there'll be an uprising either, every time a 'Leave means Leave' march is organised, attendance isn't exactly through the roof.
    And that in a nutshell is why Brexit happened. Everyone telling the working class what's good for them. Why won't people listen to them? When your life is shit and you've been in a poverty trap in a town that's been declining for decades, you don't want to hear how much worse it will be because your reality is about as dire as it gets.

When you already can't really afford to out food on your table, potential "uncertainty" is the last of your worries. Mark my words, if Brexit doesn't happen, the UK will burn.

12. Post
    Bollocks, it's England - at worst people will be very very disappointed in the government.

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Bollocks, it's England - at worst people will be very very disappointed in the government.
    Which is what the political class are betting on.... you can only poke a bear so much before it bites though.... I predict that if Brexit is overturned or put on hiatus for more than a few months then the entire British political class are about to get their arses handed to them.

14. Post
    Esprit wrote:
    Which is what the political class are betting on.... you can only poke a bear so much before it bites though.... I predict that if Brexit is overturned or put on hiatus for more than a few months then the entire British political class are about to get their arses handed to them.
    Lower class people didn't like the immigrants and upper class people didn't like the Europeans.

It was a match made in heaven.

15. Post
    Esprit wrote:
    I'd love to see that but I think you're dreaming.

16. Post
    I can't wait for this shit to be over, it's such a pain in the butt. The company I work for was founded by two dudes, an English guy and my Swedish boss. The company is spread out all over the place but the two main centres are the middle of bum **** England, and Sweden. Well there's also a big unit in Germany actually. Not a huge problem in and of itself except for one small detail, warehousing ended up being one of the parts of the company that the English company took on. The head office is also ended up being English, so unlike all other international companies dealing with this who have just decided "**** it, move any manufacturing and wharehousing to the continent" our head office, being English and all, are of course saying "wharehousing stays here, but you all have to be on standby to just magically setup wharehousing in Sweden and Germany should our Government decide it's a no-deal. But don't go setup any wharehousing yet, it'd be stupid to waste money buying stuff we may not need". Roolllll my f'n eyes.

Esprit wrote:
    Yep, every bit of back water England that no one gives two dicks about would be out tipping cows. They make up more than 50% of the population and their votes count, but they're also geographically dispersed. I'm sorry but I just can't imagine the Midlands getting together at their local town hall to then march on London.