antidepressants

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post

antidepressants

AgrAde wrote:
    Telling a dude who's depressed to medicate with alcohol, an addictive depressant? Dumbest, most awful advice I've heard in my life.

Sounds like the guy has coping mechanisms that have worked for him thus far, but bad mental health has snuck up on him and he wants to get on top of it quickly. A shitty workplace is a trigger not a cause, and using alcohol (or weed) as a crutch doesn't solve the problem, it just adds more problems.

OP is probably best to stay well away from booze at this point.
    I guess you missed the part where my suggestion was posed as a question due to the fact that OP never states the severity of his emotional state. It was more of a probing question then anything. The OP says he took meds the past and never said he was depressed. Seemed more like he was feeling shitty due to short term circumstances that are better dealt with by things other then anti depressants. I posed the question to get more information rather than jump to conclusions like yourself.

2. Post
    Posting in the monthly depression thread

3. Post
    dont worry bee happy

4. Post
    aLi3nZ wrote:
    I guess you missed the part where my suggestion was posed as a question due to the fact that OP never states the severity of his emotional state. It was more of a probing question then anything. The OP says he took meds the past and never said he was depressed. Seemed more like he was feeling shitty due to short term circumstances that are better dealt with by things other then anti depressants. I posed the question to get more information rather than jump to conclusions like yourself.

tbh it came across as though you were telling me to harden up and have another beer. quite piss poor advice to give to an ex alcoholic, but that's nz's drinking culture for you i guess.

go read socts, from the start. it's all there, trust me when i say my problems are more than just feeling blue after a shitty day at work.

you're right in that i was holding back on information, as usual it took me the better end of an hour to think through, type out, delete, edit, add and delete some more, trying to work out a way to phrase the shit from my head in a way people can understand.

i don't see antidepressants as being the brilliant cure they're prescribed as, but then from my own experience with my problems and other people's, correctly applied they are an invaluable method of giving somebody a bit of clarity and peace of mind when they need it most. i do believe they're over prescribed in some cases.

also fwiw im not the woe-is-me type, im way too cynical for that. I've got a short attention span and an intense personality. a lot of people think im a c***.

i dont have issues im ignoring, sweeping under the carpet like bradcs getting at. ive dealt with them in more than enough ways, insofar as the ones that i need to deal with for day to day life. the rest can wait. i use gpod as an outlet to help me think shit through, the rational exercise of translating my thoughts to words gives me a chance to think things through, it cuts down on the background noise in my mind.

edit: and yeah, ^that made a shitload more sense in my head. it always does.
    Last edited by 4wd; 29th June 2016 at 10:17 pm.

5. Post
    I don't think antidepressants are a cure. They help get through the tough shit so you can get your life back on track.

6. Post
    Good on you for chatting about it 4wd. Having gone on, come off and gone on them again before, and knowing a little bit about them the sound advice already posed is:
    - They take a few weeks (up to 5-6) to really start kicking in
    - See your Doc if you're thinking about restarting a course - those obscure questions aren't a waste of their time. No health professional thinks it's a waste of time for someone to come in who is struggling
    - Continue chatting to your mates, GP, doing exercise, getting sleep, eating alright where you can

7. Post
    Didn't read whole thread but with starting on new a medication if anything you're better off starting at a lower dose definitely don't start at a higher dose.

8. Post
    cwm wrote:
    I don't think antidepressants are a cure. They help get through the tough shit so you can get your life back on track.
    Only been on them twice before but agree with this. They genuinely do help you get back on track, it's shocking how effective they are.

9. Post
    Considering more of the facts, apologies for my first comment.
    I agree with CWM here. I regrettably take Effexor myself and have been on almost every type of anti-depressant available over the past 14 years - since most of them don't do shit for me. I hate taking pills and the associated side effects. I tried going off quite a few times unsuccessfully. Anyway, effexor allows me to function so will be letting it do its thing so I can get on with life.

cwm wrote:
    Citalopram is old.

Ask your doctor about Effexor (venlafaxine). Although the new stuff has equally shitty side effects compared to the old stuff - it just works faster and makes your mood better than the zombie you become on citalopram.

10. Post
    trackers wrote:
    Busted. Alcohol is weird for me because I feel like my life is happier with alcohol in it, but I don't need alcohol to make me happy - that possibly doesn't make sense lol.

I also like alcohol for a happy social kind of vibe and to let loose, not some quiet on my own kind of thing
    That's cannabis for me. When I'm high I'm absolutely 100% content. It's an escape from the drudgery of life.

Name:  theworld.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  43.1 KB

11. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    That's cannabis for me. When I'm high I'm absolutely 100% content. It's an escape from the drudgery of life.
    That's how I suppressed 10 years of shitty feelings, became dependent on it. Haven't smoked for 8 weeks and currently seeing a therapist. First few weeks were hell, high anxiety and very low mood, but starting to feel I can deal with shit without some sort of substance. One of the best choices I have made.

New studies out there showing talk therapy is just as effective if not better than ADs. Or at least the combo of the 2 and not just ADs without some sort of plan to discover why and how to deal with the problems you are facing.

12. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    That's how I suppressed 10 years of shitty feelings, became dependent on it. Haven't smoked for 8 weeks and currently seeing a therapist. First few weeks were hell, high anxiety and very low mood, but starting to feel I can deal with shit without some sort of substance. One of the best choices I have made.
    5 years for me. Been on an 8 week break cus of newborn son. No side-effects I've noticed. But then I wasn't stoned all day every day kinda thing.

13. Post
    Heh, all kinda started from New born daughter too, 14 weeks now and enjoying her more everyday.

My pre-baby lifestyle + dramatic life change wasn't a good mix.

14. Post
    Good on both of you for kicking it now you have kids. I was a wake and baker,24/7 on it. But one day decided to come off it after many years. Probably wasn't the best way to do it because I was a wank for months. But I just went cold turkey. That was rough

15. Post
    ludez wrote:
    good on both of you for kicking it now you have kids. I was a wake and baker,24/7 on it. But one day decided to come off it after many years. Probably wasn't the best way to do it because I'm still a wank after many months. But i just went cold turkey. That was rough
    ftfy

16. Post
    Hope you're doing ok 4wd.
    Broke up with fiancé recently and moved out, been ****ing depressing, does that work for a trigger?

Sent from my fridge.

17. Post
    Carrot fell on the floor while I was chopping it.

Thinking about antidepressants.

18. Post
    James254 wrote:
    Carrot fell on the floor while I was chopping it.

Thinking about antidepressants.
    You don't need antidepressants. You need a different course of medication altogether starting with Loxapine.

19. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Posting in the monthly depression thread
    It's all gone downhill since Dr Spiral stopped weekly Caturday posts.

20. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    Heh, all kinda started from New born daughter too, 14 weeks now and enjoying her more everyday.

My pre-baby lifestyle + dramatic life change wasn't a good mix.
    though tbh, I only stopped cus we co-sleep and it would be dangerous to go to sleep stoned. I plan to resume toking on the occasional weekend. But then I wasn't really ever suppressing feelings, and the wife doesn't reckon I'm even that different stoned (she forgot I had even stopped smoking it lol). I just used it to chill.

21. Post
    Doing fantastically on escalitopram to be honest and a change of environment. Things are awesome. It's not to say things have gone smoothly life wise, hell no, but have dealt with them much better. Antidepressants help with mood, it's still up to you to address your problems and emotional needs. The antidepressants make it a lot easier to address them but you still got to address them in the first place.

22. Post
    Also what's with the negativity of taking antidepressants?
    This BS mental health taboo.......

23. Post
    Mental health is hardly taboo on these forums.

24. Post
    ChineseKiwi wrote:
    Also what's with the negativity of taking antidepressants?
    This BS mental health taboo.......
    I think it's more discovering how many people are on them, and wondering if there's any degree of over-prescribing going on. I mean, do doctors even suggest anything else first, or do they just send you straight to the pharmacy?

25. Post
    Depends on the doctor.