1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    The biggest take away I have from the beta is that the game is far more immediate now.

The shift to a more combat-centric dynamic makes the game a lot more fun - if a little less skillful. This I feel will be countered as skill levels increase meaning higher degrees of ability will be required for victory in each match in the future. There is also a lot of re-balancing yet to come. In the new modes the Behemoth is just a massive lumbering kill toy that is not even remotely challenging to face. This is a clear demonstration of how the game has shifted.

You do lose some of the reward from being a particularly skilled and elusive monster, and also for those highly coordinated teams with a skilled Trapper. I however think this new focus on shorter more action-oriented matches is far superior in general but is obviously a slightly more casual shooter experience as a result.

3. Post
    I played a few hours of this. The last game I played we chased the monster unsuccessfully for around 12 minutes before he achieved evolution stage 3 and killed us all within 2 minutes. Completely boring, and pretty much the opposite of tense. And that was with my friend as the monster on teamspeak.

Obviously skill can alleviate this somewhat, but it doesn't change the fact that this game is fundamentally flawed in its current incarnation. Run away -> get strong -> win game. Boring. Makes it significantly worse when only 4 of 24 characters are available to you until you play for several dozen hours.

Imagine the same game, but instead of a monster it's something like a Predator (with stealth) and the maps are 1/10th of the size. Now that would be a tense game.

4. Post
    I played like 6 rounds and have no desire to play anymore, imo it's fundamentally flawed and not fun.

5. Post
    Corbulo wrote:
    I played a few hours of this. The last game I played we chased the monster unsuccessfully for around 12 minutes before he achieved evolution stage 3 and killed us all within 2 minutes. Completely boring, and pretty much the opposite of tense. And that was with my friend as the monster on teamspeak.
    This was in the new Stage 2 version?
    Really?
    Sorry, I just cant see how that happened. With the Planet Scanner finding the monster is a lot easier. I've played for the past week and that has never happened. I've spoken to a lot of new and returning players who all state that they really enjoy that the game now makes the battle between monster and hunter more common and far quicker.

6. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    This was in the new Stage 2 version?
    Really?
    Sorry, I just cant see how that happened. With the Planet Scanner finding the monster is a lot easier. I've played for the past week and that has never happened. I've spoken to a lot of new and returning players who all state that they really enjoy that the game now makes the battle between monster and hunter more common and far quicker.
    Guess we just sucked then... I was the dude with the chaingun, with 3 randoms + my friend as monster (who has played about twice as much as me).

The other games I played had more combat - in fact I won my first and only game as monster. But even then, when I got boxed in, I just ran around spamming my abilities and clicking and jumping like crazy. Not a lot of depth there

7. Post
    Corbulo wrote:
    Guess we just sucked then... I was the dude with the chaingun, with 3 randoms + my friend as monster (who has played about twice as much as me).

The other games I played had more combat - in fact I won my first and only game as monster. But even then, when I got boxed in, I just ran around spamming my abilities and clicking and jumping like crazy. Not a lot of depth there
    I disagree about the depth, but maybe that's just a preference thing. Playing the trapped monster (for me at least) is about managing your abilities in order to target key hunters. Ranged abilities to stun/ground them. Close range splash damage to drive them apart, and close range heavy damage to kill the target. Swapping between these and managing the cool downs while dealing with hunter skill combo's and finding the best vantages to attack/defend from is where the depth is on the Monster side of the conflict. Its deeper than most shooters, and you could make comparisons between playing the monster and some recent Hero Shooters, while the hunters fill the role of a more typical squad shooter.

There is still a learning curve and a high skill ceiling, but the entry point is much softer and much much less punishing.

Its not for everyone certainly, but I do feel it is now a game that provides a wider potential for enjoyment for a wider audience.

8. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I disagree about the depth, but maybe that's just a preference thing. Playing the trapped monster (for me at least) is about managing your abilities in order to target key hunters. Ranged abilities to stun/ground them. Close range splash damage to drive them apart, and close range heavy damage to kill the target. Swapping between these and managing the cool downs while dealing with hunter skill combo's and finding the best vantages to attack/defend from is where the depth is on the Monster side of the conflict. Its deeper than most shooters, and you could make comparisons between playing the monster and some recent Hero Shooters, while the hunters fill the role of a more typical squad shooter.

There is still a learning curve and a high skill ceiling, but the entry point is much softer and much much less punishing.

Its not for everyone certainly, but I do feel it is now a game that provides a wider potential for enjoyment for a wider audience.
    All fair points I won by continually downing the healer