Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Today in history - The battle of Long Tan

Today is the anniversary of a battle in the Vietnam War where the gunners of NZ's 161 Battery played a key role in saving the lives of a company of Australian infantry (100 men) surrounded by 2 divisions battalions of Viet Cong (~ 2000 men). They fired their 105mms howitzers non-stop for a day in a desperate attempt to save the infantry, until they were standing waist deep in shell casings. They surrounded the Aussie diggers with a ring of fire and shrapnel, but the Australian infantry reported watching the VC deliberately advance through the explosions, never faltering.

Then the next day, they were tasked to take part in the clean-up, retrieving body parts that had been blasted into trees, for burial.

And I bet you probably haven't heard of it. So I'd heartily encourage you to watch this documentary, several Kiwis are interviewed, and you can see that the trauma of the battle still stays with them.

Last edited by Edward Diego; 18th August 2016 at 3:58 pm.

2. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    And I bet you probably haven't heard of it. So I'd heartily encourage you to watch this documentary, several Kiwis are interviewed, and you can see that the trauma of the battle still stays with them.

Thank you NCEA Level 2 History for teaching me about this. Iirc that documentary is pretty good.

3. Post
    My Dad served in Vietnam with 161 Battery, but I had never heard of this battle until I bought a book written by another soldier from his unit. Back when I studied history the Vietnam War was still a bit unfashionable to talk about, this was many years before our Vietnam veterans were allowed their homecoming parade.

4. Post

the second best buffy

5. Post
    One of the survivors, pictured here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leatherpursetan.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	213431

6. Post
    So you care about sentient beings?

7. Post
    James254 wrote:
    So you care about sentient beings?
    Prove your sentience.

8. Post
    Wouldn't 2 divisions be like 20,000 rather than 2,000?

9. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    Prove your sentience.
    Name:  awshit.png
Views: 423
Size:  106.8 KB

10. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Wouldn't 2 divisions be like 20,000 rather than 2,000?
    Yeah, duh, 2 battalions.

11. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    Prove your sentience.
    y

12. Post
    a more important question is why vietnam war era, out of all wars, produced such killer music

13. Post
    The first half did, when it ended it was more disco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billbo...ingles_of_1974

14. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Supposedly a movie adaption of Long Tan starring Sam Worthington is for release this year called Danger Close.
    http://dangerclosemovie.com/

15. Post
    I caught most of the newshub and all of the one news report. News Hub had a lengthy section on how pissed off Australia is that Vietnam pulled out of the celebration. Including a teary eyed political figure saying how sad he was. One news had a sentence at the intro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Post
    Yeah I'm in Aussie @ the mo they are mightily pissed, but I understand the Vietnamese position (and agree with them).

17. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Today is the anniversary of a battle in the Vietnam War where the gunners of NZ's 161 Battery played a key role in saving the lives of a company of Australian infantry (100 men) surrounded by 2 divisions battalions of Viet Cong (~ 2000 men). They fired their 105mms howitzers non-stop for a day in a desperate attempt to save the infantry, until they were standing waist deep in shell casings. They surrounded the Aussie diggers with a ring of fire and shrapnel, but the Australian infantry reported watching the VC deliberately advance through the explosions, never faltering.

Then the next day, they were tasked to take part in the clean-up, retrieving body parts that had been blasted into trees, for burial.

#watching

18. Post
    Great watch.

I saw the B52s fly over today.

19. Post
    That was a good watch Cheers for that.

20. Post
    Glad you enjoyed it

21. Post
    Have seen a couple of docos on the history channel as well, one in particular about a digger who headed back there to excavate the scene of one of the firefights with some Viet Cong and NVA vets, gutwrenching, horrific stuff.

22. Post
    One of my friends was a medic in the Vietnam War. Ironically his entire squad ended up dying to save his life.

Oh, and as they medevaced him his helicopter was shot down by Vietcong. Is missing the sight in one eye and a couple of fingers. That's basically the start of an interesting life though - his life story would make an outstanding film.

23. Post
    Groowee wrote:
    a more important question is why vietnam war era, out of all wars, produced such killer music
    The screen cap of this video, ie soldiers sitting on top of Marble Mountain near Da Nang, is really interesting. That view of the coast..that coast is now COMPLETELY covered with resorts of varying tackiness.

24. Post

25. Post
    I'm really looking forward to it.