Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    I think people confuse the ability to calculate taxes with some sort of commercial prowess.

2. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I think people confuse the ability to calculate taxes with some sort of commercial prowess.
    Pretty much this, accountants always know exactly where money has moved around, but nothing about why it moves around. That's why I can't understand why anyone would ever want to do it. It's a job fit for automation.

It's like getting a job as a short hand scribe in this modern age.

3. Post
    Well, they do reckon NZ will need about 18 accountants Nationwide by 2030.

4. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    The best part is she's an accountant.
    Not surprised, accountants are notorious for stretching out free credit.

5. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Well, they do reckon NZ will need about 18 accountants Nationwide by 2030.
    In my (limited) experience there are three types of accountants, the bookkeepers who only see the numbers, those that can read the business behind the numbers and then there are the ones that are good at finding the gaps in the law to minimise tax. The last two types are rare and will continue to have value in the future, I believe.

6. Post
    bas wrote:
    In my (limited) experience there are three types of accountants, the bookkeepers who only see the numbers, those that can read the business behind the numbers and then there are the ones that are good at finding the gaps in the law to minimise tax. The last two types are rare and will continue to have value in the future, I believe.
    Well, you can see the first one slowly getting phased out, cloud accounting systems just talk direct to the IRDs system now.

Those latter two will stick around but I sense quite a bit of attrition.

7. Post
    Its funny. Now that you're looking backfrom the outside again, the answers are pretty obvious.

Long story short. I 'lent' money expecting it to be never paid back.

It took forever and in several installments but it eventually was.

Its also ironic that if I was asked again, I wouldn't be in a position to. Yay kids.