1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I totally did.

3. Post
    Neverboughtit master race.

4. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Ditto. I own Elite: Dangerous + lifetime expansion pass. Why the hell would I want to play a dumbed down version of it?

5. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Same here.

Time and time again, people buy games before the reviews come out, and then always end up disappointed.

I learnt my lesson a long time ago (when I bought Spore).

6. Post
    If you outright lie about about what the game is capable of, then I think exceptions to the refund rule are totally reasonable. It wasn't until after their initial play sessions that many would have discovered there was no multiplayer element. All the 2 hour limit does is encourage devs to hide the flaws and misrepresentations about their game until 3 or so hours in.

7. Post
    Spacemonkeynzl wrote:
    Same here.

Time and time again, people buy games before the reviews come out, and then always end up disappointed.

I learnt my lesson a long time ago (when I bought Spore).
    Spore is the best possible example of why pre-ordering is a terrible idea. No Man's Sky is essentially a repeat of Spore, and a very good reminder. Pity most people are too stupid to learn.

Faraday wrote:
    If you outright lie about about what the game is capable of, then I think exceptions to the refund rule are totally reasonable. It wasn't until after their initial play sessions that many would have discovered there was no multiplayer element. All the 2 hour limit does is encourage devs to hide the flaws and misrepresentations about their game until 3 or so hours in.
    A fair few of us warned about that potential flaw when the policy was first announced.
    It keeps turning out just how right we were.

8. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Ditto. I own Elite: Dangerous + lifetime expansion pass. Why the hell would I want to play a dumbed down version of it?
    I just picked up Elite Dangerous + Horizons a few days ago on a Xbox sale and boy is it an awesome game! A bit of a steep learning curve at the start but it gets familiar the more you play it. There is still heaps I have to learn though.

9. Post
    If you're only supplying half a game you're a thief.

10. Post
    LETS TALK ABOUT WHO IS BEING A THIEF YOU PRAT... the devs lied about all the amazing things youd be able to see and do in the game, and there is NO WAY you'd even run in to all these supposed features unless you play for a significant amount of time. How about bold facedly LYING about features in a game that it ultimately doesnt have, while charging full AAA pricing for it... yeah that sounds like a thief too, promising stuff that you know it doesnt have...

11. Post
    From what I can gather the 50 hour plus refund had multiple issues while trying to play the game which just got worse the longer that person tried running the game.They had digital records of multiple crash and bug problems yet you still get folks yelling thief when they get a refund after 50 hours of hassle.

12. Post
    It's pretty sad when a game developer reaches out far to try something new and risky... then the gamers backstab him for even trying, due to their over-hype. Just stop over-hyping yourself, expecting too much and nothing to go wrong when expecting an entire universe stuffed into a single game...

13. Post
    I've talked to Consumer and they suggest reporting them to the Commerce Commission and/or taking them to the Disputes Tribunal... still pretty spending $50 to get $90 back.

If it were a $30 early access greenlit game then sure, but this is an expensive game with a ton of hype that turned out to all be lies.

14. Post
    Gamester wrote:
    It's pretty sad when a game developer reaches out far to try something new and risky... then the gamers backstab him for even trying, due to their over-hype. Just stop over-hyping yourself, expecting too much and nothing to go wrong when expecting an entire universe stuffed into a single game...
    you must be a sad person, clearly ignoring all the facts

15. Post
    Did NMS start life as an indie title?

16. Post
    Gamester wrote:
    How do you backstab someone simply by wanting your money back once you've seen their product is not want you want ? You sound like you should be working in Harvey Norman.
    And how is it risky? Dev failed to deliver, if it is indeed risky now is the time for consequences of that risk they took.

17. Post
    Gamester wrote:
    It's pretty sad when a game developer reaches out far to try something new and risky...
    "New and risky", really now? They made a procedurally-generated sandbox survival game with crafting. There's literally dozens of games like that on Steam! They only way that they could play it even more safe would be to include zombies!

entire universe stuffed into a single game
    Well Elite: Dangerous has the entire Milky Way Galaxy and that actually delivered on what was advertised. David Braben and Frontier Developments didn't lie through their teeth for years on end about game features nor show doctored game demos to the press!

18. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    How do you backstab someone simply by wanting your money back once you've seen their product is not want you want ? You sound like you should be working in Harvey Norman.
    And how is it risky? Dev failed to deliver, if it is indeed risky now is the time for consequences of that risk they took.
    Because the game was hyped up to be an entire universe. Perhaps people don't understand how hard it is to program and then to create a free-roaming full scale universe.

I personally don't know what people where expecting and what the developer promised it to be, but yeah it turned out pretty much as expected. I didn't buy the game myself, just seen others play it. Could be fun for a few hours (15hr?) before grinding around in circles with the same procedurally-generated content. That's still worth something for the developers time and efforts, trying to reach for the stars, and biting off a lot more than anyone could really chew.

Want more? There's something called the real world, live it.

19. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    Did NMS start life as an indie title?
    Hello Games is an Indie studio, so yes ^_^

20. Post
    Gamester wrote:
    Because the game was hyped up to be an entire universe. Perhaps people don't understand how hard it is to program and then to create a free-roaming full scale universe.

I personally don't know what people where expecting and what the developer promised it to be, but yeah it turned out pretty much as expected. I didn't buy the game myself, just seen others play it. Could be fun for a few hours (15hr?) before grinding around in circles with the same procedurally-generated content. That's still worth something for the developers time and efforts, trying to reach for the stars, and biting off a lot more than anyone could really chew.

Want more? There's something called the real world, live it.
    I'm not sure how that answers my question. You labelled it RISKY. risky to who? I think the general feeling now is it did not "deliver what was promised" as you put it.

If people expected too much, it was because they were promised it.

And its hardly an impossible goal, Elite dangerous is much the same scale. Star citizen promises much more still. Infinity the quest for earth has been in development for 10 years. (ok that last one is a joke).

21. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    If people expected too much, it was because they were promised it.
    This.

It's incredibly misguided to suggest that people have 'backstabbed' Hello Games due to over-hyping it themselves. Gamester, while i'm not a big fan of Angry Joe, go have a watch of his review for NMS - he basically links to videos of Sean Murray stating the game includes element's that are not actually in it.

They might be patched in at some stage, but as it stands, it's missing a hell of a lot of key gameplay features that it's supposed to have. That's not the consumer over-hyping it, it's the dev, at best, being overly-ambitious about what he wanted in the game at launch (that currently isn't in the game), at worst, knowingly lying about it.

All i see, is consumers saying "Hey where's all this stuff you confirmed was in the game?" as opposed to "I thought that this game was going to be something different than was promised".

22. Post
    Found this from 2 years ago. Says it all for me and my expectations
    http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-no-multiplayer/