Have you made the jump to 4k?

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2292

1. Post
    I bought a 4k TV recently that has an integrated soundbar and it is definitely a lot better than the usual 10w shitty TV speakers. I wouldn't compare it to my HT system anyway, as I'd expect it to sound way better, being that it cost a shitload more.

2. Post
    ^Thats that TCL one ay?

Anyways I'm liking my new TV but damn I miss the Android OS on my old Sony TV. Doesn't have apps like VLC, Kodi, Crunchyroll etc and no built in Chromecast It has Plex but thats always been a bit iffy for me

3. Post
    Yep, it is last years model with Wide Colour Gamut - which is better than this years, which doesn't have that and also doesn't have the soundbar and it is twice as bright. I got it to use as a monitor (does 8.5ms in PC mode).

It has Android and Chromecast, but I don't use the apps being it is plugged in to my PC.

4. Post
    Is OLED really that much better than QLED?

55 inch LG OLED is $1550 and 75 inch QLED is $1499 (am US based). Seems a hell of a lot of inches to give up for OLED. Hard to tell in bright stores.

5. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Is OLED really that much better than QLED?

55 inch LG OLED is $1550 and 75 inch QLED is $1499 (am US based). Seems a hell of a lot of inches to give up for OLED. Hard to tell in bright stores.
    Look around, saw someone recently post an ad on reddit for some store in the us that is selling the 65 inch LG C9 for $1600ish

And Yes OLED is amazing. Plus Samsung are cheaters so screw em.

edit: Ah here it is: https://slickdeals.net/f/13504246-65...-1699-free-s-h

65 inch LG C9 for $1689, shipping is free.

Also black friday is coming up in 3 weeks - TV's get massive discounts in the USA on black Friday, so you could buy it then.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 3rd November 2019 at 10:21 am.

6. Post
    I'm doing the impossible and trying to guess as to how much they're going to drop here for Black Friday, I'm keen to pull the trigger on a 55" C9 @ $3400 but I don't know if a potential saving of $300 - $400 will outlast my need for instant gratification.

7. Post
    55" vs 75" for me was no brainer, i'd rather have size than better picture. The screens these days all look great, OLED will just look better. But 55" is quite a sacrifice! I went 60" to 75" and don't think I could ever go back.

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    55" vs 75" for me was no brainer, i'd rather have size than better picture. The screens these days all look great, OLED will just look better. But 55" is quite a sacrifice! I went 60" to 75" and don't think I could ever go back.
    I'd agree but it depends how big the difference in image quality is, I don't think all screens look great, there can be a massive variance if you say compared a Veon LCD vs a OLED side by side. It also depends what content you play through it, you can spend as much as you want but if you're going to just play low bit rate sky tv channels on it, then it's a total waste as you'd be trying to polish a turd.

If I had to choose in that size range I'd still aim for the better image quality and sacrifice a little size down to 65 inch. Also depends on the room it's used in - 55 inch I think is a little too small for a lounge while 55 inch can be perfect for a bedroom or games-room/mancave

9. Post
    Yeah fair point, not sure how many people will be deciding between a Veon and OLED screen though. What do OLED's start at these days? When I was looking I could get a series 7 Samsung 75" for less than any 55" OLED option. Plus in my case I already had a series 7 60" TV, so smaller was never going to work. Well, 75" OLED would work, but the money is better paid off my mortgage lol. 10-16k for a 77", yikes!

Will be interesting to see which takes more market share, OLED or 8k TV's, whynotboth.jpg.

10. Post
    Should be able to pick up a 55 inch OLED for $2k this boxing day. The prices are slowly coming down each year. Unfortunately NZ's stock levels aren't the best. Even today in the U.S you can regularly find last year or even the year before that's models in stock at some stores and these have large discounts - think $700usd for a 55 inch OLED. And because OLED technology moves at snails pace - the picture quality between last years model and this year is practically the same.

OLED's have a inherent flaw and benefit in the design in that they are all high end panels. There isn't really a low end OLED panel. Where as with LCD there are low end, mid range and high end panels. A Samsung 7 series is low end, while the OLED can't compete price wise because it only ever comes out as a high end panel. The main thing you can do with OLED is cut the size down - which is what's happening next year with 48 inch OLED's hitting the market, but cutting the production cost down is tough and also LG owns the production so they are probably making a bit too much margin compared to if there were more producers.

Fragluton wrote:
    Will be interesting to see which takes more market share, OLED or 8k TV's, whynotboth.jpg.
    OLED is winning that battle so far, cause Samsung doesn't know how to make a real QLED 8k TV, Sony has a 8k TV too but its very hard to find. All the LED/LCD 8k TV's so far have drawbacks - and to try and counter the draw backs means having to use extremely powerful back lights to try and pass through all the filters. Let me give you a quick example: the Sony Z9G 8k LCD TV has a 650w power draw while it's on. When last could you say your TV is using more electricity than a high end 2080ti gaming PC! I'm not sure if this particular issue would get resolved soon, so going forward 8k screens will be known for being very power hungry machines! Going from 150w power draw 4k LCD/LED panels to 650w power draw 8k LCD/LED panels.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 5th November 2019 at 10:52 pm.

11. Post
    OLED TVs absolutely vary in quality, to think otherwise is a bit odd. The panel is only one part of the end result you sit down to watch. While series 7 isn't on the level of QLED, it's certainly not low end IMO. Especially with its low input lag (exact model dependent), I would put it in the mid range among its competition.

12. Post
    As I said, visually a $3000 OLED and $6000 OLED are pretty close to the human eye without instruments measuring numbers and the same goes for this year's $3000 OLED and 2 year's ago's $3000 OLED. The difference come from other things like size, audio quality, image processing, features and services etc. I was just discussing the Panel and not the TV as a whole, sorry if that was not clear.

The samsung 7 series is the lowest and cheapest TV samsung sells over 43 inches from what I could find. There is a 8 series (mid range) above it and a 9 series (high end) above that. Input latency doesn't really determine low vs mid vs high - as the cheapest panel could have the lowest latency and sometimes is. To get a really low input latency on a TV requires switching off as much image processing as possible and since the 7 series is going to have fewer image processing features to begin with, it's no surprise that it has a lower input latency than the 8 series, 9 series and other mid range TVs.

What makes the 7 series an entry level Samsung TV is it's 280nit HDR brightness (most mid range panels get brighter), Edge Lit panel with no local dimming at all (most mid range TV's have at least some dimming zones), an image that degrades at an angle, 8 bit panel instead of 10 bit (most mid range TV's use 10 bit panels), Only having 3 HDMI ports (most mid range TV's have 4 or more), lack of gaming features the 8 and 9 series has, lower quality anti reflective coating than the 8 and 9 series and worse motion handling (posting a pixel response time of 20ms!) than the 8 and 9 series so fast moving objects have more blur behind them
    Last edited by SirGrim; 7th November 2019 at 2:35 pm.

13. Post
    Just want to warn anyone from getting the Panasonic GX700z. Been through 2 of them and they both had the same issue of a high pitch ringing sound coming from the back. Not sure if they're all like that or JB just has a bad batch or if I was just unlucky lol.

Anyways got a refund after the I took back the 2nd one and I ended up with the Sony X80G which I was very close to getting in the first place lol. Got if for $901 from NL It lacks all the extra features of the Panasonic but at least there's no annoying noises coming from it.

14. Post
    I have had that happen to me with two LG units that had physical defects (done by machines in the factory most likely), ended up changing over to a Samsung that came in a fancy red colour and it had small scratches on the bottom bezel right below the screen - couldn't see them when it was on though and at that point I couldn't be arsed taking another TV back.

15. Post
    i bought a Panasonic TH-55FZ1000U which I have been super happy with. Comes with a sound bar that is much better than I thought it would be. It does look small in the photo but it seems larger when watching. So far no complaints, touch wood, seems to be a good unit.Name:  TV.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  685.7 KB

16. Post
    With speakers like those, what is the soundbar for?

17. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    With speakers like those, what is the soundbar for?
    Looks like on that model the "soundbar" is actually the stand. That's where Panasonic decided to put the speakers (into the stand). Good idea actually, most TV's put speakers in the back of the TV or underneath facing down and neither result in sound worth writing home about, but building them into the stand means the speakers is facing the viewer rather than sending the sound into the wall or the floor and it also means you can fit bigger drivers in without making the TV thicker.

https://www.panasonic.com/nz/consume...55fz1000u.html

Oldtime boy wrote:
    i bought a Panasonic TH-55FZ1000U which I have been super happy with. Comes with a sound bar that is much better than I thought it would be. It does look small in the photo but it seems larger when watching. So far no complaints, touch wood, seems to be a good unit.Name:  TV.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  685.7 KB
    Congrats and welcome to OLED Just look at the deep perfect blacks in your picture, love it!

I'd highly recommend watching these tv shows/movies to get the most out of your OLED. Watch in the dark if you can and from a 4k Dolby Vision/HDR source such as Netflix/Apple Movies/4k Bluray disc

John Wick 3
    Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    Deadpool
    Blue Planet 2
    Planet Earth 2
    The Grand Tour
    Stranger Things (Especially Season 3)
    The Lion King (the new one)
    Game of Thrones
    Life of Pi
    The Man in the High Castle
    Roma
    Altered Carbon
    Mad Max Fury Road
    Last edited by SirGrim; 13th November 2019 at 8:57 am.

18. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Looks like on that model the "soundbar" is actually the stand. That's where Panasonic decided to put the speakers (into the stand). Good idea actually, most TV's put speakers in the back of the TV or underneath facing down and neither result in sound worth writing home about, but building them into the stand means the speakers is facing the viewer rather than sending the sound into the wall or the floor and it also means you can fit bigger drivers in without making the TV thicker.

https://www.panasonic.com/nz/consume...55fz1000u.html

Congrats and welcome to OLED Just look at the deep perfect blacks in your picture, love it!

I'd highly recommend watching these tv shows/movies to get the most out of your OLED. Watch in the dark if you can and from a 4k Dolby Vision/HDR source such as Netflix/Apple Movies/4k Bluray disc

John Wick 3
    Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    Deadpool
    Blue Planet 2
    Planet Earth 2
    The Grand Tour
    Stranger Things (Especially Season 3)
    The Lion King (the new one)
    Game of Thrones
    Life of Pi
    The Man in the High Castle
    Roma
    Altered Carbon
    Mad Max Fury Road
    Cheers for the list, always looking for something to watch now.

19. Post
    Disney Plus app is now live for LG TV's, as well as Samsung I think. Not sure if other makes have it yet.

Now I can finally watch Marvel and Disney movies in 4k, since they were gatekeeping that content from Apple and Google movie stores.

20. Post
    Can't beat compressed to buggery 4k eh. Netflix requires up 25Mb for "4k" doesn't it? Blu ray 4k is like 100Mb. If Disney are providing content at four times the quality then Netflix then fair enough.

21. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Can't beat compressed to buggery 4k eh. Netflix requires up 25Mb for "4k" doesn't it? Blu ray 4k is like 100Mb. If Disney are providing content at four times the quality then Netflix then fair enough.
    1) I don't have a proper 4K Blu player - they tend to be pretty expensive. Even the drive inside a Xbox One X produces a pretty average color reproduction compared to a decent stand alone player.
    2) the price difference makes it hard to justify. I've been able to stream a movie in 4K Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos for $6.99 while the 4K Blu-Ray disc is still in the shops here at $49.99
    3) I'm not interested in buying movie or tv shows, and there are no rental stores anymore

From the brief testing I saw Disney's is streaming some content at higher rates than Netflix but it's no Blu-Rays

22. Post
    Point was, streamed 4k is a massive compromise. "4k" is basically a marketing term when it's compressed as much as it is. That's video and sound compression.

Level up and do that OLED justice.

23. Post
    Not worth it when I watch tv shows/movies about 2 to 3 hours per week and in the last 2 weeks I've actually watched nothing at all other than NBA games. I'll have 1 or 2 movies I want to watch with Disney plus now, then it's back to watching nothing again

I take you have a $1k Bluray player then? You should level up your TV to do it justice

I'd rather spend $1k on PC parts or Car parts and get more value from it. Each to their own

24. Post
    Yeah obviously I have a $1k Blu ray player, get on my level.
    /my money went on speakers

25. Post
    cough xbox one s cough