Have you made the jump to 4k?

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2158

1. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Not just resolution, the 4k netflix plan allows more devices to stream at the same time, helpful when it's not just you watching
    Getting a 4k TV is likely the only reason to upgrade. If you already use more devices than two at once, you'd already be on that plan. Simple maths.

2. Post
    One of my biggest worries was seeing how DVDs would look like as I read they would look washed out. I played my favourite film on DVD and it looked great on the 4K tv. I suspect this may because it was played in a Blu-Ray player with upscaling and then the Blu-Ray player signal was up scaled by the 4K tv. You’d think all this upscaling would affect the image quality, but it did not at all. In fact it looked better than ever, which I am sure was impact by watching it on the bigger 55” instead of my 39” screen. But still a lot if image stretching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Post
    Should be able to hit an "info" button to see what resolution is being displayed. I certainly found big differences in resolution between freeview channels via aerial. Some are pretty good, some are junk. I only use aerial for the news on occasion. From memory TV3 looked like junk, TV1 was much better.

4. Post
    Why does LG not have a info button on their remotes

5. Post
    Mine does.

6. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Mine does.
    Which model? Can you post a pic?

7. Post
    It is old (plasma) and I am using the info button on my harmony remote and it works as it should. Can't see why they would do away with that.

8. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    It is old (plasma) and I am using the info button on my harmony remote and it works as it should. Can't see why they would do away with that.
    It’s a odd omission as it’s a super helpful feature for diagnosis.

Mine came with this remote in the box https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video...remote-control

There is no info button I can see, I did find complaints about this going back a few years so it’s not a new thing.

It’s otherwise not a bad remote and functions like a universal remote for what I use it for but it’s a shame that is missing, they have other almost pointless buttons on the remote so it’s not like they ran out of space

9. Post
    Is there a way to change a resolution on a smart tv back to 1080p if you want to get the feeling you in a cinema and not on the set of avengers watching them film ?

Man 4K is beautiful for sports and nature but the rest I don’t like

10. Post
    I think you are talking about the soap opera effect. It's more about frame rate than resolution I think. Try turning off any frame interpolation features of your tv and see if that helps.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/soap-ope...off-heres-how/

11. Post
    You're as bad as my mrs, "it looks too real", yeah that's the point...

12. Post
    Hahahahah. You can see the make up on people’s face. It does take some of the mystery out.

Planet earth II was incredible though.

Plus , Ps4 pro on 4K is real pretty especially with shadow of the tomb raider

13. Post
    krashersmasher wrote:
    I think you are talking about the soap opera effect. It's more about frame rate than resolution I think. Try turning off any frame interpolation features of your tv and see if that helps.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/soap-ope...off-heres-how/
    Interestingly my new Panasonic had it off by default.

14. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Interestingly my new Panasonic had it off by default.
    That is interesting. Maybe they figured out that it wasn't that good of an idea by default. Great for sports though.

15. Post

16. Post
    I'll be keen when it's not $14k for that screen lol. More than happy with 75" LCD over 55" OLED (similar cost), until that time.

17. Post
    While talking 4k, anyone seen the new Sony smartphone 4 k display? I have the last Xperia which also has 4k resolution which is amazing but bit of an overkill if you ask me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Post
    Just watched my first 4K movie via my 4K Apple TV to my 4K TV.

Now I have a dilemma. Do I now buy all my movies via Apple iTunes, that I want to repeat watch.

19. Post
    (To my knowledge) Apple TV is presently the only way in NZ to rent movies in 4K/DolbyVision/Dolby Atmos

Sony starts selling MicroLED TV's

Only $836,000usd for the 4k model!

Oh, it's also about 10 centimeters thick!

Currently they are limited to how small they can make the backlights - so the resolution is determined by the screen size and the screen needs to be 200 inches to fit 4k resolution on it

The TV in the below video is 120 inches and therefore it's only 1920x1080 - this one is $280,000usd

Dare I say it's going to be a long time before your Harvey Norman is selling a 4k 65 inch version of this - the manufacturing process would need to shrink the already tiny backlights by 75% compared to their current size

Last edited by SirGrim; 28th July 2019 at 5:16 pm.

20. Post
    So OLED will remain the best image us normal joes can buy for at least another 3 years?

21. Post
    3 years could end up being optimistic.
    Samsung keeps pushing back the ETA date for mass market launch at its share holder meetings.

Not sure about Sony but both Sammy and Sony have super large Microled and both seem to have issues shrinking it down to be cost affordable.

The problem is bad enough for Samsung that in May they announced they would be converting one of their factories to produce OLED tvs because MicroLED wasn’t ready and they wanted something else to sell the other market other than QLED. And this OLED factory isn’t due to supply mass market till 2022, so that gives some indication how they are struggling to shrink the MicroLED size and costs

22. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    So OLED will remain the best image us normal joes can buy for at least another 3 years?
    We get it bro, your an OLED fanboy.

Anyways broskis, inherited(not for free) the stepfathers 75" Z9D over the weekend after he upgraded(?) to a Sammy Q90r.
    Jesus this TV is heavy, not setup yet as stand not suitable.
    Big jump up from my old 55" 1080p.

23. Post
    Quite the size bump eh, did a similar step recently, could never go back.

24. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Quite the size bump eh, did a similar step recently, could never go back.
    Feels massive tbh. But I remember feeling the same way going from 40" to 55"

25. Post
    I got that going from a 40" - 60" and then also getting a 120" projector screen. I've had the projector for 9 years now though, so have gotten somewhat use to going between them. When I replace my 60" TV I'd prefer a 75"+, though I only use it for watching TV during day and early evening. When I sit down to watch TV properly at night (like Netflix or rugby) can't go pass the share size of the 120".

I am looking to get a 4k laser projector once they become a little more affordable - 10 grand is currently the cheapest they get here, which is not bad considering how much most other models cost, but still more than I want to spend on one. Hopefully 8k models start knocking the price down next year.