Have you made the jump to 4k?

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 2,276 to 2,289 of 2289

1. Post
    Glad to see the C9 doing well in blind tests, I pretty much based my decision off rtings.com reviews lol. Anything is better than our current TV, a Samsung UA60H6400 which is pretty average to say the least..

The TV OS doesn't matter too much for me, as I have an Nvidia Shield TV and Apple TV 4K so I'm covered in that department

I've never really liked using built in TV apps when third party devices do it better, generally

It's a shame Panasonic are getting out of the TV game, seem to score well in those blind tests

And yeah, to be honest I thought my wife would tell me to f off. But I know how much she wanted a new couch, so it felt like a good compromise, and it wouldn't be fair for me to buy a TV and deny her something. Though I'm glad I held out till now as we got a good deal.

To be honest with that "fabric warranty" and delivery, the cost of the couch and ottoman are almost the same as what the TV cost

2. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Damn seems like a sharp price. I'd get it if it could fit in my bed room lol.
    Do you live in a closet? I have a relegated 60" in my bedroom and it doesn't look out of place.

3. Post
    What’s people’s thoughts on the Sony X80G? Anyone got one?

4. Post
    Puk wrote:
    What’s people’s thoughts on the Sony X80G? Anyone got one?
    Yeah I got one a couple of weeks ago for $901. It's pretty good for a lower end model and I like it overall. My only real gripe with it is mine has a bit of backlight bleed which bugs me a bit when the screen is pitch black and I'm watching with the lights off. That's pretty common for LCDs though and different units will vary so don't let that put you off.

Also it doesn't have HDR10+ or Dolby Vision but that is probably asking too much in that price range.

The Android OS is awesome imo since the range of apps is pretty much unrivalled. I think the image quality is really good. I can't really comment much on the HDR quality since I'm still a noob but I wish blacks could be deeper as they come across more as dark gray at times. I think that's just a limitation of IPS displays though.

Despite the few shortcomings I can still definitely recommend it for that price if you just need a basic 4k TV without all the bells and whistles.

Also check out this review on rtings:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800g

5. Post
    Just did a manual update on my lg tv to 5.10.40. Buggered both freeview and you tube and had to unplug the ethernet cable to get it working again PIA as had to move stuff.

Heads up for anyone with automatic update enabled and stuff not working.

6. Post
    Man it’s hard to pic a tv lol. Maybe it’s just rtings but everything I look at seems to have major flaws to them.

So gp’ers. If you were to pickup a new lounge tv this weekend, budget up to 1500, 55” approx, for 4K Netflix and Disney plus with some casual gaming? What would you get?

Haven’t brought a tv since 2014 and wouldn’t look to buy another for the same timeframe. Current is a 48” Sony lcd which is perfect for our use, so tempted by the Sony X850G due to the extra HDR support now mainly for Netflix.

7. Post
    HDR isn't going to be that great in that price range and there are also a fair amount of fake HDR shows out there. The Mandalorian is the latest example.

I'd personally wait a few weeks for the manufacture clearances that they will be doing on Boxing Day.

8. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    HDR isn't going to be that great in that price range and there are also a fair amount of fake HDR shows out there. The Mandalorian is the latest example.
    Yeah I heard about this the other day & I think the rest of the SW stuff is fake HDR as well. Not sure about the Marvel stuff. Wonder if anything on Disney+ is true HDR?

9. Post
    I didn't really have an appreciation for 4k, as I've never really watched anything HDR or Dolby Vision before tonight. But holy ****ing shit the level of detail is amazing.

I just quickly set the TV up and have been fiddling with settings, just put on Our Planet on Netflix w/ Dolby Vision.. my mouth was actually ajar at one point in amazement

10. Post
    Probably grab one with the PS5

11. Post
    I have just picked up a C9 in the recent sale. The NUC I have been using the last 4 years will likely be underpowered for any UHD streaming as it stutters a little even at 1080 (although that might be due to something failing internally).

For someone who prefers the PC for media, what can I get away with today keeping the budget tight? Or current-gen NUC the way to go?

I don't use the smart TV apps provided.

- - - Updated - - -

I have just picked up a C9 in the recent sale. The NUC I have been using the last 4 years will likely be underpowered for any UHD streaming as it stutters a little even at 1080 (although that might be due to something failing internally).

For someone who prefers the PC for media, what can I get away with today keeping the budget tight? Or current-gen NUC the way to go?

I don't use the smart TV apps provided.

12. Post
    Is the media stored on a NUC? I roll NAS + TV apps, no worries.

13. Post
    If its struggling at 1080p, there might be another underlying issue. Depending on the model of NUC, it may well be fine for UHD, for several years they've mostly all been capable of UHD playback.

14. Post
    My i3 NUC from about 4-5yrs ato handles 1080p to plex fine. Even transcodes the odd 4K down to 1080p on the fly as well, although it does struggle if you skip through.

FWIW I saw a big performance jump when I took my nuc from windows 10 with plex installed local and media on a nas, to running Ubuntu and everything in docker containers, media still on nas. It performs a lot better that way.