1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Haha, love the sickness index ratings.

3. Post
    For Driveclub + other PSVR titles, they only need to run at a locked 60fps with screen reproduction techniques to double the frame rate to 120fps the max refresh rate for PSVR. The Vive & Rift are 90fps, which recently I heard one of them lowered their minimum requirements just recently to also allow the screen reproduction thing so you could run games at 45fps in double it to 90fps.

4. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    For Driveclub + other PSVR titles, they only need to run at a locked 60fps with screen reproduction techniques to double the frame rate to 120fps the max refresh rate for PSVR. The Vive & Rift are 90fps, which recently I heard one of them lowered their minimum requirements just recently to also allow the screen reproduction thing so you could run games at 45fps in double it to 90fps.
    Plenty of PS VR games run at 90fps (a few natively, most using duplication from 45fps I suspect)

5. Post
    10/10 for the here they lie sickness rating, great reference. Also the description was pretty good.

I've played a few hours of drive club and am enjoying it. Yea the graphics are shit but it runs well and is fun. It's unfortunate it made you crook as it didn't affect me at all like that.

Street luge made me feel like crap from the jutting back to the track, and scavengers odyssey made me feel a bit iffy half way through.

6. Post
    So, to be fair, nothing of real value then, right?

7. Post
    Faraday wrote:
    So, to be fair, nothing of real value then, right?
    Did we read the same article?

8. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Plenty of PS VR games run at 90fps (a few natively, most using duplication from 45fps I suspect)
    DC is 60fps, being displayed at 120fps. I think Sony was targeting 45fps/90fps before PSVR revision upped the screen refresh rate to give a smoother experience.

9. Post
    Yeah I'm sure I read psvr is using 120hz not 90hz like rift and vive

10. Post
    From the official FAQ:

"The PS VR OLED display can refresh at 90Hz (90 times per second) or at 120Hz (120 times per second) depending on the VR game or application."

I doubt that means every game running at 90fps will be a native 90fps, but I might be wrong. The vast majority of games (perhaps even all games?) running at 120 will actually run at 60 with reprojection.

I do stand corrected on one point though: I have no idea how many games will be 90 vs 120.

Anyway, I think it's largely pointless to compare PS VR to the Vive and Rift - they are all very different beasts. PS VR is a great headset in its own right.

11. Post
    As someone who's used all the headsets. I would not touch a PSVR. If I was given one, I would sell it.
    Its by far the most comfortable headset, but the experience is below sub-par.
    It is in my opinion disgusting that its even being sold.
    The move controllers are imprecise, and the camera is just not up to the task of tracking everything well.
    The latency IS A MAJOR issue. It is the only retail headset that make me ill, and does so for any gaming session over 20 mins almost 100% of the time.

In short its premature to release it, but VR is a wonderful marketing term right now and people will buy it. Many of those people will also convince themselves it was worth the price. It isnt.
    If you buy the PSVR you are imo wasting your money. This headset will NEVER deliver a premium AAA gaming experience coupled with the hardware that's on the market. It might almost get there with the PS4 Pro, but probably not.

In this regard I respectfully 100% disagree with Matt. PSVR is at best interesting, but as a gaming peripheral its a complete failure.

12. Post
    ^- I know the Wii motion tracking was horrible, in PS3 move was praised for its mostly 1:1 tracking. Now with PS4 camera being 'improved' over PS3, the tracking is horrible? Is it good without the PSVR headset? I thought the light from the PSVR wouldn't be as bright as from PSMove = better tracking on PSMove at least from the camera.

Have you tried it in a completely dark room, any improvements or still just bad tracking?

Matt M wrote:
    From the official FAQ:

"The PS VR OLED display can refresh at 90Hz (90 times per second) or at 120Hz (120 times per second) depending on the VR game or application."

I doubt that means every game running at 90fps will be a native 90fps, but I might be wrong. The vast majority of games (perhaps even all games?) running at 120 will actually run at 60 with reprojection.

I do stand corrected on one point though: I have no idea how many games will be 90 vs 120.

Anyway, I think it's largely pointless to compare PS VR to the Vive and Rift - they are all very different beasts. PS VR is a great headset in its own right.
    I'd like to bet it could run games from 0 up to 120fps, just requirements to hit 45fps or preferably 60fps. I think Sony prefers 60fps, they did say they wouldn't allow games on VR that drop under 60fps at GDC so the requirements might be native 60fps/90fps & 120fps not a frame under 60fps.

Q: Will we see PS VR games running natively at 90fps and 120fps?
    Yes. There are already games in development that run natively at 90fps and in the future we may potentially see some games running natively at 120fps as developers become more experienced with creating games for PS VR.
    Still all signs points to DriveClub running at 60fps - from the Official Blog:

Recreating Driveclub as a standalone VR title was a huge task. As you know, Driveclub had a vast amount of content, so reengineering the game to render everything in stereoscopic 3D, natively at 60Hz and then adding the head tracking with 120Hz visuals took a long time. In addition, the team added several VR-specific features and made the game look every bit as amazing as you would expect.

13. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    the tracking is horrible? Is it good without the PSVR headset? Have you tried it in a completely dark room, any improvements or still just bad tracking?
    Have tried dark room. It's still pretty bad. It's unreliable, and sometimes glitches to a new position and stays there. With the price of competing controllers I understand why Sony used the Move. It's fine for some games, but others like Job Simulator where you are turning sideways it's a mess (perhaps due to the Move not being able to sense distance from camera, only up/down/left/right position IIRC)

XSpike wrote:
    Still all signs points to DriveClub running at 60fps - from the Official Blog:
    Yep - I never said it didn't

14. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Yep - I never said it didn't
    I thought you wrote up the article?

Driveclub VR is handily instructive, in that it shows us the limitations of trying to render a visually intensive game at 90 frames a second in 1080p on a PlayStation 4.

15. Post
    Ha! Quite right. What I should have said was "a minimum of 90". Will change that to 120 - cheers!

16. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Did we read the same article?
    The only good game is 80mins long and the review uses phrases like "a serious amount of auto aim", and the rest are just tech demos or outwardly bad, so no, I think it was the same one.

17. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Have tried dark room. It's still pretty bad. It's unreliable, and sometimes glitches to a new position and stays there. With the price of competing controllers I understand why Sony used the Move. It's fine for some games, but others like Job Simulator where you are turning sideways it's a mess (perhaps due to the Move not being able to sense distance from camera, only up/down/left/right position IIRC)
    This I can also attest to. The best experiences I had were using a dual shock and not the move controllers.
    Tracking in general is ok at best, this is for both the controllers and the headset. I strongly dislike the PSVR, but Matt has spent much more dedicated time with it, and I trust his opinion. So while its certainly not for me, maybe others will find more to like.

18. Post
    Faraday wrote:
    The only good game is 80mins long and the review uses phrases like "a serious amount of auto aim", and the rest are just tech demos or outwardly bad, so no, I think it was the same one.
    It depends on what you consider of value as that varies for everyone.

Plenty of those games are above 5/10 in this article so lots of good and it states other reviews for other games are coming.

So plenty of value for some.

19. Post
    Maybe it's because I've only had to previously deal with the random 60% functionality awfulness of the Kinect before, but having had a go at a few of the launch titles this evening, the tracking seemed pretty decent to me.

You're a very discerning consumer Chris, but it wouldn't surprise me if a tonne of these sell - if the price ever comes down a bit - just as experience generators, if not premium gaming experiences. Holy cow, that Resident Evil "Kitchen" demo.

20. Post
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    Maybe it's because I've only had to previously deal with the random 60% functionality awfulness of the Kinect before, but having had a go at a few of the launch titles this evening, the tracking seemed pretty decent to me.

You're a very discerning consumer Chris, but it wouldn't surprise me if a tonne of these sell - if the price ever comes down a bit - just as experience generators, if not premium gaming experiences. Holy cow, that Resident Evil "Kitchen" demo.
    Now imagine the whole of RE7 in VR

21. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Now imagine the whole of RE7 in VR
    Yeah, I mean people are gonna die, right? I mean not necessarily from Resident Evil, but VR horror games are surely going to cause some heart attacks,

22. Post
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    Yeah, I mean people are gonna die, right? I mean not necessarily from Resident Evil, but VR horror games are surely going to cause some heart attacks,
    Just weeding out the weak.