1. Post
    I never implied it wasn't a technology, or that it doesn't make a difference, just that it's being marketed as if it's a bigger deal than it actually is. It's what they have to do if they want people who already have perfectly good equipment to give them more money.

2. Post
    That screenshot is so bullshit, this youtube video shows how it actually looks in SDR, not as vibrant as the HDR shot but definitely not as washed out either, almost looks like someone's tampered with the SDR shot on purpose.

https://youtu.be/8YC6tB6t_AQ?t=12m4s

3. Post
    This SDR youtube video that you're viewing on a SDR display eh?

Edit - my point is it's going to be difficult to compare unless you're comparing the source material on an HDR display

4. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    This SDR youtube video that you're viewing on a SDR display eh?

Edit - my point is it's going to be difficult to compare unless you're comparing the source material on an HDR display
    Point I was trying to make was the SDR shot doesn't look as washed out as the comparison photo, I can't speak for the HDR one but I can say the SDR one gives the entirely wrong impression as to what the game looks like on an SDR display.

The Youtube gameplay for example, shows the blue ice whereas in the SDR comparison shot the contrast has been muted to the point where all the ice looks grey.

5. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Point I was trying to make was the SDR shot doesn't look as washed out as the comparison photo, I can't speak for the HDR one but I can say the SDR one gives the entirely wrong impression as to what the game looks like on an SDR display.

The Youtube gameplay for example, shows the blue ice whereas in the SDR comparison shot the contrast has been muted to the point where all the ice looks grey.
    Yes, but the HDR image is relative to the SDR image. When you're displaying it on an SDR screen it's going to be difficult to demonstrate the difference without making the standard image look a bit shitty.

6. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    you realize all the comparison shots linked above are taken from smartphones pointed at the TV and not some marketing material processed in photoshop? The movies and games were being played in real time and photos taken to show the difference.

just give up...
    you really think they managed to capture the exact same scene at the exact same time on different machines and point the phone each screen exactly the same way...... 3 times? even shit like water ripples and lens flares are in the same place.

the 3 pics you posted are 2 minute photoshop jobs and you're spectacular ****ing retard.

7. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    HDR is just another marketing buzz word to try and drum up sales.
    They're using 4K and HDR to sell TVs but it's certainly not an annoying gimmick like stereoscopic 3D was, delivering a worse overall experience. 8-bit SDR = 16 million colours, 10-bit HDR = 1.06 billion colours. You cannot deny that would be a big jump.

HDR is not available on PC yet (well not Win10 as far as I can tell),
    GPU drivers support HDR10 and game support on PC is there too. As a gamer primarily in recent years that's enough for me, desktop apps and movie playback on PC playing catch-up I'm not really phased by. If I really wanted to buy watch movie content there's streaming apps on PS4 Pro (which I have) and Xb1S is a cheap UHD-BD solution.
    I don't have a PS4 Pro,
    Standard PS4 has HDR too.
    I would think 2018 is the earliest anyone should think about an HDR monitor.
    HDR consoles are here right now and console gaming benefits from the reduced input lag of monitors just as much as PC gaming.

Native 4K/60fps for most new release games isn't quite here though since the GPUs still aren't powerful enough. I can still enjoy console gaming in the meantime.

8. Post
    Unfortunately I am past the stage where "bright, pretty colours" are my main criteria for gaming...

9. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Yes, but the HDR image is relative to the SDR image. When you're displaying it on an SDR screen it's going to be difficult to demonstrate the difference without making the standard image look a bit shitty.
    The issue is that it's still completely misrepresenting SDR (deceitfully so). The game doesn't look like that at all, HDR or SDR. If the point is to demonstrate the difference, people will call bs just because the SDR image looks so obviously different from their current TV sets.

It's just an overall terrible marketing tactic to employ, like those stupid monitor ads that demonstrate 4K by implying that a 1080p image looks like a blurry Youtube 240p feed.

10. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    It's just an overall terrible marketing tactic to employ, like those stupid monitor ads that demonstrate 4K by implying that a 1080p image looks like a blurry Youtube 240p feed.
    I don't think it is anybody's marketing tactic. Most of these "comparisons" are by the media/the public.

11. Post
    DW wrote:
    I don't think it is anybody's marketing tactic. Most of these "comparisons" are by the media/the public.
    Not yet but it's going to be. Nvidia's started the ball already http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com...dr-vs-sdr.html

12. Post
    Put it another way - your SDR monitor displays a maximum colour range of 10/10. A HDR display will do 15/10. How do you convey that on a display that only displays a maximum range of 10?

The only possible way is to reduce the colour range of both the SDR image and the HDR image so you're comparing 6.66/10 and 10/10 images

Otherwise the comparison will be "it's better, but because you have a shithouse monitor it looks exactly the same"

13. Post
    Dat ces hype boiiiii

14. Post
    That nvidia one looks so amazing on my screen it's convinced me not to upgrade.

15. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Put it another way - your SDR monitor displays a maximum colour range of 10/10. A HDR display will do 15/10. How do you convey that on a display that only displays a maximum range of 10?

The only possible way is to reduce the colour range of both the SDR image and the HDR image so you're comparing 6.66/10 and 10/10 images

Otherwise the comparison will be "it's better, but because you have a shithouse monitor it looks exactly the same"
    Kind of like listening to HIFI speaker comparisons on you-tube through a pair of PC speakers, and buying based on what you hear.

16. Post
    brand wrote:
    Unfortunately I am past the stage where "bright, pretty colours" are my main criteria for gaming...
    Were they ever?

The technology is only recently as good as to remove the need for imagination smoothing

17. Post
    All I know is my eyes orgasm hard when I watch HDR 4K content on my 55KS8000.....like, bucket loads of filth.

HDR gaming is pretty nifty, but the best I've played is FFXV and it still wasn't a mindblowing difference at all. Keen to check out TLoU with the new pro patch and also I've heard Ratchet & Clank is amaze.

On topic, keen on that new ASUS 27" at some stage, but not till I get a Kaby/1080Ti/32 beast built later this year

18. Post
    TLOU is amaze as well

19. Post
    JRS wrote:
    you really think they managed to capture the exact same scene at the exact same time on different machines and point the phone each screen exactly the same way...... 3 times? even shit like water ripples and lens flares are in the same place.

the 3 pics you posted are 2 minute photoshop jobs and you're spectacular ****ing retard.
    Go to a mental asylum Centre and tell them you need help because you are a clueless idiot.

20. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    TLOU is amaze as well
    https://youtu.be/NA-wZcJAg_Q

This is my experience with HDR. Sunlight streaking through windows when inside houses looks crazy with HDR in TLOU but HDR definitely does enhance the experience for that particular instance, HDR for Forza 3 Horizon looked good to but Gears of War 4 with HDR enabled didn't look that great, looked better in native 4K full detail from the PC version to my TV without the need for HDR.

I can see why HDR would be labeled as a gimmick to move more TV's, reminds me of trying to push 3D in to your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    Go to a mental asylum Centre and tell them you need help because you are a clueless idiot.
    you're are mistaken about the function of a "mental asylum center", much like your are mistaken about those photos.

i've already provided IRREFUTABLE reasons why the pics you posted are exactly the same picture with saturation and contrast adjustments. but i can tell you're the kind of simpleton who will go to the grave clinging to your incorrect opinions despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

you are the worst kind of internet forum poster there is. just stop.

22. Post
    More interested in HDR for films tbh, when combined with an oled screen. Accurate colour reproduction is good and all, but it's not exactly at the top of my list for gaming.

For gaming, I'm really just after 4K res. If I end up with something that has HDR as well, that'll be a bonus. And having used a high refresh monitor before, I wouldn't go out of my way for that tech either.

23. Post
    JRS wrote:
    you're are mistaken about the function of a "mental asylum center", much like your are mistaken about those photos.

i've already provided IRREFUTABLE reasons why the pics you posted are exactly the same picture with saturation and contrast adjustments. but i can tell you're the kind of simpleton who will go to the grave clinging to your incorrect opinions despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

you are the worst kind of internet forum poster there is. just stop.
    you need glasses and some brains if you still can't see if photo below was taken by a smartphone and not photoshop. get a clue seriously.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/arti...ight-large.jpg

24. Post
    Well I just bought a new viewsonic IPS gsync 1440p 27" and it's mont. Figure the HDR 4k monoitors and hardware needed to run them are far enough away not to bother with today.

ps, selling shimian IPS 1440p screen

25. Post
    KevinL wrote:

Dulling the SDR image is such a transparently rubbish way to promote it though. Not only is it very easy for the consumer to tell that it's rubbish (they know that their own SDR TV set doesn't look like that) but the deceptive nature of the advertising actually harms HDR as a technology by leading the consumer to the wrong conclusion (think "So all I have to do to get HDR quality is up my contrast" etc.)

The best way to promote these technologies is to tell the consumer to look for themselves and make their own minds up since there's no way to demonstrate it. That's what's being done already with OLED and audiophile-grade headphones.