1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Shocked that this game got an 8, thought it would be garbo. Might go get it on the PSN now actually.

3. Post
    It's not worth an 8, I think you're being awfully kind.

I'd give it a 6; the reason being that there are many bugs, flaws in gameplay and all in all, it's not actually as good as their 2014 edition.

Some of the things that irk me

1. Super fielders, wicket keeper never misses a catch regardless of how hard, close in fielders take blinders, slips take blinders... until it's ground fielding, where they throw at the bowlers stumps regardless of backup, costing overthrows

2. The ability to play shots is severely limited, there is no cover drive, leg glance, front foot cut, midwicket glance, fine leg tickle in the game at all; due to this gameplay is severely limited

3. Statistics, the backbone of any cricket game, this doesn't keep statistics in career mode for your player, which is pretty horrible because you never know how your guy is actually performing

Not a very realistic simulation of cricket, and comparing it against say MLB The Show 16 (which is worth the 8 you rank this) - it's no where close to a faithful adaptation of a ball sport.

4. Post
    Fella wrote:
    It's not worth an 8, I think you're being awfully kind.

I'd give it a 6; the reason being that there are many bugs, flaws in gameplay and all in all, it's not actually as good as their 2014 edition.

Some of the things that irk me

1. Super fielders, wicket keeper never misses a catch regardless of how hard, close in fielders take blinders, slips take blinders... until it's ground fielding, where they throw at the bowlers stumps regardless of backup, costing overthrows

2. The ability to play shots is severely limited, there is no cover drive, leg glance, front foot cut, midwicket glance, fine leg tickle in the game at all; due to this gameplay is severely limited

3. Statistics, the backbone of any cricket game, this doesn't keep statistics in career mode for your player, which is pretty horrible because you never know how your guy is actually performing

Not a very realistic simulation of cricket, and comparing it against say MLB The Show 16 (which is worth the 8 you rank this) - it's no where close to a faithful adaptation of a ball sport.
    <shrug> I think it offers several noticeable improvements over DB '14, which I gave a 7. I don't think there's *ever* been a "very realistic simulation of cricket" in a game, which is something I've tried to emphasise in reviewing both titles (it's a hard game to simulate), but this comes a lot closer than most.

That's cool though, you're entitled to your opinion too although I must admit to being a bit puzzled about your experience as it's described here, as you absolutely *can* play a cover drive, a leg glance, and through midwicket off the front foot, you can deliberately tell the fielders which end to throw the ball to with a button press, and dropped catches from the automatic fieldsmen have cropped up regularly for me.

5. Post
    http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/...2#post-3117764

12 pages of bugs already being reported, most of which relating to gameplay or quirks.

Big Ant even reply on that forum and admit that the range of shots is not where they want it to be, although apparently the latest version released on the PC has at least allowed you to play through square more often.

As for shots through mid wicket, your player is just as likely to attempt to pull a yorker as he is to play the mid wicket clip.

6. Post
    Fella wrote:
    http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/...2#post-3117764

12 pages of bugs already being reported, most of which relating to gameplay or quirks.
    As for shots through mid wicket, your player is just as likely to attempt to pull a yorker as he is to play the mid wicket clip.
    Hundred of users put together have a lot more playing hours than me solo for review purposes, unfortunately. I can really only report on my own experience - I'm yet to experience a crash or anything really game-breaking. Skimming over, quite a few of these seem to relate to the commentary, which yep, is pretty broken (as I said in the review).

As for the shot selection, I'm just not sure what else to tell you - I've had batsmen play through the leg side on the front foot all the time. (I've found the most common unnatural shot is yorkers getting square cut). I wonder if it's at all affected by batting and bowling difficulty levels.

But we could do this indefinitely! I just like it more than you, or was bothered by these quirks less. I'm by no means wildly out of line with the critical consensus if you take a look at say Open Critic (although it's a small sample size). But mostly I'm just sorry this stuff is bringing the game down for you! Hopefully patches will address some of the bumps.

7. Post
    Does this game international teams?

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Does this game international teams?
    It has placeholders until you download the best "user created" teams (which it prompts you to do straight away). These are pretty up to date with current international squads, are lookalikes, and have all the right uniforms etc.

9. Post
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    <shrug> I don't think there's *ever* been a "very realistic simulation of cricket" in a game, which is something I've tried to emphasise in reviewing both titles (it's a hard game to simulate), but this comes a lot closer than most.
    I think Cricket Revolution actually came pretty close, unfortunately it was a fairly low budget affair and therefore suffered from a low playerbase but the game itself was pretty great, and when online worked it was as close to a fair contest between bat and ball as I have ever seen.

10. Post
    Looks good, will give it my money when it's $30. Probably this time next year.

11. Post
    Some other game breaking bugs to be aware of....

Field Settings:

Even if you're the captain and you make a field setting change, within a few balls, the computer usually changes the field setting without any acknowledgement or indication, meaning you're bowling to say a leg side trap and all of a sudden that fielder isn't there anymore.

When you're bowling and you set around/over the wicket, or maybe bowling from a wider angle, every single delivery resets you to a default position.

When you're in career mode, the game randomly bugs out and removes your attribute stats and also stops them from growing (i.e strength, agility, endurance ) - meaning you get a kitten weak player who can't hit sixes despite being say 100/100 in batting.

When you're playing international level, even if you set the outfits properly and download the recent ones, you will only play games in your whites, not the colored clothing even though they're in the game.

The "length" modifier while bowling doesn't actually work according to the instructions, sometimes it works if you press it before bowling your delivery, but it's so slight that in effect 6 out of 6 will land on default length, regardless of any other input.

Ground fielding/bowler fielding, sometimes the ball will go straight to you and inexplicably you walk over the top of it with no intention to field it, only happens randomly but frequently.

Spin bowling: Regardless of ball condition, you get more spin bowling googlies than leg breaks, regardless of your stats - googlies also have more drift than an outswing bowler generate before turning sharply back through the gate. Oh and when you're bowling spin, the AI automatically knows how much turn and what delivery you've bowled - i.e if you are getting leg spin, even if you purposefully slow the spin down to make it skid on, the batsman will play it knowing exactly that - versus a big turning leg spinner that it will leave 6 times out of 6.

The game has a lot of frustrating game breaking bugs, the only hope is that Big Ant get their shit together and patch it, DBC 14 was pretty shit until they patched up certain instincts.

Oh, the other game breaking bug - as a leg spin bowler, I had four innings in a row of taking eight or more wickets on the Pro difficulty setting, without changing fields to take advantage of exploits, most of the wickets came from edges to the keeper that he never drops.

Based on further play, I'd now rate this a 5.

12. Post
    Was thinking about it when it first came out but there was alot of reviews saying it was a downgrade due to weird changes and big bugs. This is probably the first positive review I have seen.

13. Post
    The Aus price tho

14. Post
    The ability to bowl without giving my placement would be awesome. Perhaps colour coding and assigning buttons to short, good and full lengths then cooking your line and using the tried and true meter to determine the success of the bowl. Also batting could be Fps so to ensure the right time is given to react. Oh man I think I might have described a real life game of Cricket.

15. Post
    Fella wrote:
    Some other game breaking bugs to be aware of....

Oh and when you're bowling spin, the AI automatically knows how much turn and what delivery you've bowled - i.e if you are getting leg spin, even if you purposefully slow the spin down to make it skid on, the batsman will play it knowing exactly that - versus a big turning leg spinner that it will leave 6 times out of 6.
    I conclude that we probably have different definitions of "game breaking:".

16. Post
    8/10 fair for me. Id give it a 8.5/10' hard to expect much more . Its better than DBC 14 which also had countless bugs until patched.

It is the best cricket simulation ever but does not have the pick up and play that shane warne cricket had. So unless you friends take the time to learn the game its not a 2player paradise.

And yes as soon as you load the game it goves you an option to download user created teams which are international teams with proper names of players.

17. Post
    https://twitter.com/ravibopara

Ravi Bopara ‏@ravibopara 11h11 hours ago
    More
    I really like most of your games but this Don Bradman is painful. Any chance I can have my 52 quid back? @AskPS_UK

International Cricketer asking for a refund due to how bad he finds this game.

18. Post
    Fella wrote:
    https://twitter.com/ravibopara

Ravi Bopara ‏@ravibopara 11h11 hours ago
    More
    I really like most of your games but this Don Bradman is painful. Any chance I can have my 52 quid back? @AskPS_UK

International Cricketer asking for a refund due to how bad he finds this game.
    I think we can safely call Ravi Bopara a former international cricketer at this point.

19. Post
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    I think we can safely call Ravi Bopara a former international cricketer at this point.
    Yeah - so how much did Big Ant pay you?

20. Post
    Fella wrote:
    Yeah - so how much did Big Ant pay you?
    My contract prevents me from revealing the exact amount of course, but I *can* reveal that with this latest review bribe, I've finally been able to finish gold-plating the tapware in my house! It was a potentially risky move, but this reviewer for one is glad that Big Ant put a big chunk of their budget aside for bribes, rather than, say, spending all that money they have on official cricket licensing.

I assume Usergame got a bribe as well, although probably less because he's only a commenter. Still, I imagine he's bought himself a pretty decent second-hand car.