1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    #beastmode

3. Post
    Deviously smart move by Sony doing this after xmas when they shifted a bucket load of ps4's and now you got to upgrade to a pro for the best results.

4. Post
    n00b question: Will playing a game installed on an external hard drive have a noticeable effect on gameplay and load times etc? Or is USB 3.0 fast enough to not worry about it?

5. Post
    MockStar wrote:
    n00b question: Will playing a game installed on an external hard drive have a noticeable effect on gameplay and load times etc? Or is USB 3.0 fast enough to not worry about it?
    In this case a new USB 3.0 Drive sould be faster than the installed HDD of the PS4 anyway; as the default drives are 5400RPM

This is the same case as the XBone, where the default drive is 5400RPM. My partner had Fallout 4 on their XBone and it's load times caused hiccups in gameplay. They installed it onto a 3.0 HDD and the hitches stopped because the USB 3.0 was loading everything faster than the default drive.

6. Post
    KiwiAhri wrote:
    In this case a new USB 3.0 Drive sould be faster than the installed HDD of the PS4 anyway; as the default drives are 5400RPM

This is the same case as the XBone, where the default drive is 5400RPM. My partner had Fallout 4 on their XBone and it's load times caused hiccups in gameplay. They installed it onto a 3.0 HDD and the hitches stopped because the USB 3.0 was loading everything faster than the default drive.
    Thanks, good to know!

7. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    Deviously smart move by Sony doing this after xmas when they shifted a bucket load of ps4's and now you got to upgrade to a pro for the best results.
    Actually I think its to combat xbox, xbox announced all games would get support with Scorpio, so Sony changed its stance so gamers can get a boost for everything right now with Pro

8. Post
    KiwiAhri wrote:

n00b'd carry on..
    It wont matter if the HDD USB powered or not?

9. Post
    #Scorpio

10. Post
    roxnsox wrote:
    n00b'd carry on..
    It wont matter if the HDD USB powered or not?
    Seeing as most 2.5 inch HDD are designed to run off laptops, it shouldn't effect the speeds. As they are meant to run off lower power. USB 3.0 can power a small monitor now, but I can't say what wattage a USB 3.0 port uses.

11. Post
    According to Digital Foundry, Boost Mode increases frame rates up to 38 percent on unpatched PS4 games

12. Post
    #beastmode