1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Watch video...

2. Post
    Can't wait.

Although... I'm hoping it isn't going to be yet another game I have to turn the gamma up all the way just to be able to see what's going on.

Not a fan of cheap horror that relies on darkness. I want real atmosphere. There was light enough in both original SS games.

3. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    Can't wait.

Although... I'm hoping it isn't going to be yet another game I have to turn the gamma up all the way just to be able to see what's going on.

Not a fan of cheap horror that relies on darkness. I want real atmosphere. There was light enough in both original SS games.
    Did you ever stop to consider not being able to see being an intrinsic part of horror?

4. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    Did you ever stop to consider not being able to see being an intrinsic part of horror?
    Not all horror. Not by a long shot. It's one way to go, certainly, but not the only. And it happens to be the way I don't like.

Further... spending all that time and effort making a game look good... only to hamper the player's ability see it seems genuinely bizarre to me.

If you think "not being able to see" is an intrinsic part of horror, I'm curious to know if you have read any horror? Or played SS1 or SS2?

Because I tell you what... I was scared in SS2 before I even met the first monster. And I could see the rooms and corridors very well. I was terrified when I ran across the first Metal Mother. That's horror. Not dark rooms where you have to turn up the gamma just to make sure you aren't walking into a wall or getting stuck on the corner of a desk.

Making everything too dark to see is just the lazy way to do horror.

Level design, sound, gameplay, story, pacing, etc. There are many really great ways to do horror.

As a remake of SS... I just hoped for more than cheap jumpscares from the dark.

5. Post
    H. P. Lovecraft wrote:
    The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
    I think you just don't understand.

6. Post
    What is it you think I don't understand?

Do I not understand how SS2 had good lighting and is still one of the scariest games ever made?

Or do I not understand that you're a little troll?

I understand both.

I also understand that trying to reason with a troll is useless. So enjoy yourself. My assertion still stands. I still wish they would have used the many other ways of creating horror.

Oooh, just to retaliate in kind:

Ben Elton wrote:
    I'm lucky because the strongest emotion I have ever felt is being in love, and that definitely informs my writing.
    Apparently he is the man without fear...

7. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    you're a little troll?
    You fundamentally fail to grasp the genre and compare the creator of modern horror with a comedian; and you have the gall to call me a troll? SS2 would have been darker back then if the technology had allowed. Knowing there's a guy with a knife standing in front of you isn't nearly as scary as knowing there's a guy with a knife out there and you can't see him but know he can see you.

8. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    You fundamentally fail to grasp the genre and compare the creator of modern horror with a comedian; and you have the gall to call me a troll? SS2 would have been darker back then if the technology had allowed. Knowing there's a guy with a knife standing in front of you isn't nearly as scary as knowing there's a guy with a knife out there and you can't see him but know he can see you.
    System Shock 2 runs on the Dark Engine, i.e. the graphics engine built for Thief where hiding in darkness is a literal feature of the game. Any "brightness" that SS2 had would've been a deliberate art choice, I assure it wasn't a limitation of the game's technology.

P.S. Nerin, nobody takes your confrontational, long-winded and barely coherent ramblings seriously. Just stop.

9. Post
    Confrontational? Perhaps. Long-winded? Sometimes, but not in this thread which just makes your PS there seem like a bit of a personal crusade rather than anything to do with what I've said here, and if you wouldn't mind keeping your personal issues with me to PMs, that would be great. Or even to yourself.

But barely coherent? I'm always coherent. People may disagree with me, or even take a personal dislike to me as you appear to have, but they always know what I'm saying.

Seriously? What was the point of your PS there apart from taking a snipe at me because you hate me so much you can't stand the thought of actually agreeing with me.

I'm flattered that you consider me to have such an impact on your life, but that amount of hate is not healthy.