1. Post

Ceramic Car Coating

Has anyone had this done to exterior of car and does it work as described.

Anthing to watch for or feedback would be good.

2. Post
    I had a bottle of this stuff and then I dropped it on the concrete floor - it made the floor really stink until it dried up, never got to apply it lol.
    But its probably best to get a company to do it, its best to have the paint in mint nick before applying a ceramic coating - so any existing scratches/chips/dents etc will need to be fixed first.

My general understanding of it is it makes the car look shiny as if it has been waxed and then provides the same benefits as well (such as protection from acidic pollutants), the difference is the ceramic coating doesn't come off during a wash so after washing the car it will look shiny as if it was waxed. The coating tends to last a few years and may or may not help protect against scratches (grey area) unless you get a specific coating for scratches but for this I've been quoted thousands (not doing it)

3. Post
    What does it look like after a few years? *imagines clear coat peel*

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:

My general understanding of it is it makes the car look shiny as if it has been waxed and then provides the same benefits as well (such as protection from acidic pollutants), the difference is the ceramic coating doesn't come off during a wash so after washing the car it will look shiny as if it was waxed. The coating tends to last a few years and may or may not help protect against scratches (grey area) unless you get a specific coating for scratches but for this I've been quoted thousands (not doing it)
    Some places give a lifetime warranty/guarantee provided you look after it like you're told. Also, and I'm not 100‰ sure but based on my research you shouldn't need to chamois or dry the car ever again and one of those snow cannons should be enough to wash the car and bring it back to all its shining glory. I'm getting mine done in a couple of weeks once my car comes back from the painters. If your paint is in good condition and needs no touching up (ooer!) then you should get change from $700 for a good ceramic coat. Shop around.

I will be using these guys in Hamilton (FB link below) and comes with a lifetime warranty. I got a quote from a place
    Auckland and it was about $700 for one that lasts 2 years or $1200 for a lifetime one. Chrkc out the work on these guys in the Tron.

https://www.facebook.com/finaltouchwaikato/

5. Post
    Have you considered Auto Niche, Tomby? They seem to be really well-regarded.

6. Post
    I got my car durasealed. No regurts. Just wash with water and a soft shammy for stubborn dirt. Then shammy towel dry. Looks good as new Everytime.

7. Post
    Yeah, I like that there's a lifetime warranty with it (for as long as you own the vehicle). I suspect Auto Niche would have similar, but it's not mentioned on their website. Will consider Final Touch when I'm gonna do my car.

8. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Have you considered Auto Niche, Tomby? They seem to be really well-regarded.
    I follow them on FB, they do some ace work. Once I'm nearer the time to booking the car in I'll do a visit to each one and get the run down on costs, what's used etc.

9. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    I follow them on FB, they do some ace work. Once I'm nearer the time to booking the car in I'll do a visit to each one and get the run down on costs, what's used etc.
    I think I'll do the same, but would you mind posting up your thoughts on each please mate? Oh, and how it looks after its done

10. Post
    Will do, although before and after shots probably won't look too different as it will be a brand new paint job before the coating.

11. Post
    Finally goty car back last Monday. Nice feeling to have a new paint job, not so nice being paranoid about stones flicking up and parking in public car parks though. Got factory mags repainted as well. Will take it into some ceramic places in a few weeks when cash flow allows it.
    Name:  IMG_20190506_224221_599.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  806.5 KB

12. Post
    ^ Looks great! What'd the respray cost? Just out of interest.

13. Post
    who ever does this to there car and then goes to have panel or paint work done needs to die, the amount of Maserati's i have had to paint that has had that shit on it -.-

14. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    ^ Looks great! What'd the respray cost? Just out of interest.
    It was part covered under insurance due to excessive stone chips and swirls and I paid for the rest like boot and doors.

15. Post
    Would have been interested in the cost of the respray as well.

I'm going to be booking my R33 in to get rear quarter panel fixed, my GT-R wing repaired and fitting an M-Spec kit in about a month and was wondering what I was looking at for a full respray while it's all apart - and was considering to get the ceramic coating as well.

Something to keep in mind, is that apparently if you want to vinyl wrap the car further down the road it doesn't really stick to ceramic coating very well. So you kinda have to choose. There are special ceramic coatings for vinyl wrapped cars as well apparently (normal ceramic coating destroys vinyl wrap)

16. Post
    Well if you have a decent paint job and you want to show it off with a ceramic coat then I doubt vinyl wrapping will be on your mind for the duration of the cars ownership. If vinyl wrap is on the mind then maybe the paint job wasn't that good to start with?

I admit black wasn't my first choice of colour when I bought the R8 but finding a different colour in the same condition was very difficult. There were a few other colours around but if it didn't have high kms it either looked rough or had a lot of owners. I was fortunate, although the kms were around 155k when purchased the 2nd owner bought it in 2010 and then bought it to NZ with him in 2017. Probably fuel prices put him off lol.

17. Post
    Do you have an idea of the overall cost of the respray? I'm just interested - a few years ago I was quoted $3000 for a "blow over", where they don't do any panel work, just give it a spray chips and all.

18. Post
    Went to Auto Niche and Final Touch in Hamilton today.

Auto Niche use ceramic coating made by Fireball and depending on which product chosen can last up to 10 years. Cost is $1100 for car is paint needs little to zero correction/repair (stone chips, scratches etc) and wheels cost $300. Time taken to prep, apply, etc is a total of 8 to 10 days. Also, Auto Niche have the exclusive rights within a 300km radius to use Fireball. www.fireballnz.co.nz will tell you where the other dealers in NZ are. Aftercare packages are available and yearly checks are recommended

Final Touch use Dura-Seal and frm the brochure, doesn't really add that much apart from your expected shine and no beading of water. From what I was quoted which including prepping the car and application costs $595incl (based on blemish free paint) and from time car is dropped off, ready within 8 hrs. (an additional $100 on top for mags compared to $300 from Auto Niche). No real after care package.

I have brochures from both places and Fireball products mention that it actually protects against mechanical scratches and have over 90% glass ceramic content making the finished product harder than paintwork. Dura-Seal doesn't mention any scratch protection, in fact, it basically sounds like an over glorified shine that lasts a very long time.

There's no where else in the Tron I am going to visit so I've pretty much made up my mind which one I'm going to use.
    Last edited by t0mby; 23rd July 2019 at 10:46 pm.

19. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    Went to Auto Niche and Final Touch in Hamilton today.

Auto Niche use ceramic coating made by Fireball and depending on which product chosen can last up to 10 years. Cost is $1100 for car is paint needs little to zero correction/repair (stone chips, scratches etc) and wheels cost $300. Time taken to prep, apply, etc is a total of 8 to 10 days. Also, Auto Niche have the exclusive rights within a 300km radius to use Fireball. www.fireballnz.co.nz will tell you where the other dealers in NZ are. Aftercare packages are available and yearly checks are recommended

Final Touch use Dura-Seal and frm the brochure, doesn't really add that much apart from your expected shine and no beading of water. From what I was quoted which including prepping the car and application costs $595incl (based on blemish free paint) and from time car is dropped off, ready within 8 hrs. (an additional $100 on top for mags compared to $300 from Auto Niche). No real after care package.

I have brochures from both places and Fireball products mention that it actually protects against mechanical scratches and have over 90% glass ceramic content making the finished product harder than paintwork. Dura-Seal doesn't mention any scratch protection, in fact, it basically sounds like an over glorified shine that lasts a very long time.

There's no where else in the Tron I am going to visit so I've pretty much made up my mind which one I'm going to use.
    daylight murder. yikes.

20. Post
    So that will be Auto Niche then Tomby?

21. Post
    Yup, for sure, will be another month till it's booked in though.

22. Post
    So is that pricing because of the size of the car?

23. Post
    Check out OCDs pricing. You are looking at $2500.

24. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    So is that pricing because of the size of the car?
    Possibly, but then the other end of the spectrum is that it's not overly expensive because it's a new paint job and needs very little correction. IE, there are no swirls or scratches in the paint just a couple of stone chips.