Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Nexus 5x bootloop repairs

My 5x died yesterday thanks to the dreaded bootloop so I dropped it off to NL for repairs under warranty yesterday.

Apparently LG is straight up offering refunds when that issue is presented to their repair agents.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. Post
    Unsure about re-sellers but had mine replaced through the Google Store immediately. They sent me a replacement phone before I even sent mine back. Would rather just have the money knowing that the new one will probably only last a year or so.

It's a shame, they are a really great phone.

3. Post
    Mine started bootloop issue yesterday. I bought it from warehouse stationary 28/12/15 so the warranty is well over.
    I still have the receipt so I'm going to see if they'll do anything about it.

I dont have much hope though

UPDATE:
    Contacted LG NZ ( I think) they said "contact your retailer "

Went into stationary warehouse and they said "Nope. Its out of warranty, sorry"
    Last edited by SBKallstars; 5th May 2017 at 1:14 pm.

4. Post
    SBKallstars wrote:

Went into stationary warehouse and they said "Nope. Its out of warranty, sorry"
    Last resort you could try sending it to China for repair:

https://androidcommunity.com/bootloo...-4gb-20170417/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...us-5x-t3588743

5. Post
    It's not out of the LG warranty which is 24mths on handsets, I know cos I took my 5X into Fonefix a few days past a year under 2weeks ago and they confirmed warranty cover on LG handsets. They replaced the main board, all sorted under warranty. Skip NL and LG and just go straight to Fonefix with your proof of purchase , you prob got someone who doesn't know the policy. I purchased early April 2016.

Oh and also bought from Warehouse Stationery.

6. Post

LG and the Australian consumer law

My LG Nexus 5X was stuck in the boot loop and as it was only 18 months old I made a warranty claim with LG. I gave that the phone serial number and they said it was not an Australian phone and refused to help. I advised them that it was purchased on line from and Australian company and in any event, there is no such thing as an Australian phone. ALL Nexus 5X phones are made in Korea and they are just using it as an excuse not to full fill their consumer law legal obligations.
    Rather than waste any more time with the clowns in LG Care, I wrote to their managing director Youngik Lee here in Australia explaining the problem and LGs legal obligations but I never even received the courtesy of a reply from him. If the man at the top of an organisation is a useless waste of time, then it is not surprising the other people in the organisation are equally as bad.
    I have now got a quote from the LG phone repairer and my phone needs a new motherboard at a cost of $187 plus return postage! Rather than waste any more of my time with Youngik Lee, I am now proceeding to take legal action in VCAT. The ACCC haven't got the resources to deal with stuff like this: there are millions of cowboy companies like LG out there which keeps them busy.
    If any one wishes to write to Youngik Lee with their problem his address is:
    Mr. Youngik Lee Managing Director
    LG Electronics
    2 Wonderland Dr,
    Eastern Creek
    NSW 2766
    The more people that hound him, there is a possibility that he will come to his senses and start to deal with peoples complaints in a more reasonable manner.
    Needless to say that I will never buy an LG product again.

7. Post
    Deal with the retailer, who by the sounds of it parallel imports the phones. Just because an item is purchased in a country, doesn't mean it was supplied through the correct supply channels. You can't parallel import products in NZ and expect the NZ company to repair it. They will funnily enough give you the same response.

Which company did you buy it from?

8. Post
    My Nexus 5x is 14 months old and i'm getting the bootloop error.

Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to get my replacement since I purchased it from a local retailer.

9. Post
    My GF just returned her nexus 5x to warehouse stationary, it was 13 months old. I haven't examined the phone myself, but she said it wont turn on or charge the screen stays black. I assume this is not the boot loop error. WHS said they've had a lot returned to them so they will not offer a repair, but will just refund her $$$.

Bought a Xiaomi Mi 6 to replace it.

10. Post
    That does sound a little different from the boot loop error.

I at least get the google logo to come up before the phone switches off again.

11. Post
    KoVaC wrote:
    That does sound a little different from the boot loop error.

I at least get the google logo to come up before the phone switches off again.
    try use hair dryer and heat up directly on finger print sensor.
    do it for a min or two while the phone is powered off (but not too long)

this is a temp fix to allow u to copy stuffs off ur phone and in long term it will still happen. I've used this method to fix my friend's nexus 5x / 6p before.

I had 2 nexus 5x phones before and none of them had this issue, i always root my phone and use elementalX kernel + good cpu governor profile to limit the big cores (they tends to overheat alot).

12. Post
    Fortunately I don't have any data I need to get off the phone.

I was thinking that I might try asking the retailer to let me pick a different model given the nature of the known hardware fault.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_sma...ootloop_issues

I think it terms of the warranty they are only obliged to repair or replace with the same type of device, but maybe it's worth asking anyway.

13. Post
    The seller has option of repair / replace or refund.

14. Post
    KoVaC wrote:
    Fortunately I don't have any data I need to get off the phone.

I was thinking that I might try asking the retailer to let me pick a different model given the nature of the known hardware fault.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_sma...ootloop_issues

I think it terms of the warranty they are only obliged to repair or replace with the same type of device, but maybe it's worth asking anyway.
    Previous Nexus 5X owner here. Definitely get a different model. The N5X is certainly a great phone, but you'll be counting down the days until your phone bootloops again.
    Last edited by Slow_Cheetah; 13th December 2017 at 11:52 am. Reason: Clarification

15. Post
    10-14 days for them to send the phone off to a service center for investigation before they will decide what to do either way.

Is that kind of time frame normal for a warranty issue with a phone?

16. Post
    You know shit got real when there's a whole wiki article about a single problem.

17. Post
    Still waiting on my phone

18. Post
    They have decided to repair the device with a new motherboard

19. Post
    Wifes Nexus 5X got hit with this. Noel Leemings took it in for repairs even though it was about 1.5 years since purchase.
    Its a shame cause its a great phone. Might have to get rid of my 5X before it does the same thing.

20. Post
    I've had a few issues with my 5X, not bootloop but camera was going dim when using the flash oddly... it's off getting fixed or replaced now and was out of warranty (14 months) with NL.

Bought a S8 yesterday for $849 since it was a mean deal; so may have a 5X to flick soon if they repair it

21. Post
    I got the refund for my 5X.

I picked up a Moto g5s plus as a replacement. The only thing I haven't liked about it so far is that it doesn't have a notification light.

At least not without rooting the phone and enabling the front LED.

22. Post
    I got a store credit for the Nexus 5x from Noel Leemings and the phone was purchased about 1.5 years ago.
    Going to get a Oneplus 5T and use the store credit on something else I think.

23. Post
    Markuchi wrote:
    I got a store credit for the Nexus 5x from Noel Leemings and the phone was purchased about 1.5 years ago.
    Going to get a Oneplus 5T and use the store credit on something else I think.
    Did you know that under the consumers guarantees act you can have a cash refund. I got cash refund of original purchase price on a 14 month old Nexus 5x returned to warehouse stationary last month. If your not buying something from NL I'd ask for a cash refund. The phone has a 24mo warranty.

24. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    Did you know that under the consumers guarantees act you can have a cash refund. I got cash refund of original purchase price on a 14 month old Nexus 5x returned to warehouse stationary last month. If your not buying something from NL I'd ask for a cash refund. The phone has a 24mo warranty.
    Yeah I might push for a cash refund when I go into the store on the weekend.
    Either way im not too fussed, looking for a new TV in near future anyways.

25. Post
    The retailer gets to choose between repair, replace (with identical product), or full refund. store credit is not one of their options.

Warehouse stationary were electing not to repair or replace because of the high number of returns.