This is really good.

2. Post
    Watched all 4. Loving it so far

3. Post
    this is good, considering.

4. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    this is good, considering.
    Considering...the potential for anything to be crap?

5. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Considering...the potential for anything to be crap?
    the potential for it to be crap seemed greater to me for some reason.

6. Post
    This is excellent so many feels and sweet soundtrack.

7. Post
    Just finished watching the season. My gf who hates sci-fi went through the "Next season is next year" grieving process when it ended. I thought it was good, would like to have seen more of the
    Spoiler:

8. Post
    it's pretty damn grim.

Also, what totalitarian regime can afford to have guys with machine guns standing around quite literally, every couple of meters, everywhere the lead female goes ... sorry, literal brain gets hung up on details like that.

9. Post
    I'm pretty sure the areas they monitor are pretty limited because all of the officer-class dudes live in the same concentrated block.

10. Post
    So I mostly enjoyed the season overall but man, they really dropped the ball having June break the fourth wall in that last shot. I could feel it coming and shouted at the screen "don't do it" but they opted for one of the most cliched modern dramatic devices ever. Forshame.

11. Post
    Not a bad series, but I struggled with the credibility of the premise. For that world to have eventuated, it counts on massive numbers of good people doing nothing, and it even counts on the females (such as Mrs Waterford) actively working to legislate away their own rights.

I'd have thought that since the example of Germany pre and during WW2, that an educated public wouldn't stand by idle.

It's strange, I can watch The Expanse, with futuristic space ships, alien protomolecules etc, without questioning it much, because despite the tech, they're still making human decisions that are relate-able. But yet this show bugs hell out of me despite current day setting, because I can't get past the credibility of the basic premise that the USA would do that to itself. Sure, they're not genius' as demonstrated by Trump. But this is too much of a stretch.

The actual world set up is really close to that of a Robert A Heinlein novella (religious lunatics take over USA).

12. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    Not a bad series, but I struggled with the credibility of the premise. For that world to have eventuated, it counts on massive numbers of good people doing nothing
    Which they showed - the frog in a boiling pot example, the protagonists put their heads down and ignored it (well, they had talks about how awful it was over drinks) until one day their accounts were frozen. And then there was a war, and the good people lost.

AnotherLeon wrote:
    and it even counts on the females (such as Mrs Waterford) actively working to legislate away their own rights.
    For religious reasons. And if you find that implausible, you should hang out with more religious women. That's what scared me so much about Handmaid's Tale, I could easily imagine my religious ex-wife (who strongly believes women should not work, should only be wives, and mothers, and in fact got very angry at me for promoting a working mother at work because "it encouraged her to neglect her role as a mother") supporting it. And think about all the women in Muslim countries who support sharia law.

Also, how many poor people voted for Trump and the party that wants to reduce their access to healthcare? And how many women voted for Trump, despite his misogynistic tendencies? How many American women want abortion to be illegal?

Given my experiences of religious people, I found it very plausible. And I liked how it showed Mrs Waterford getting what she'd worked for and finding out it sucked - how she was instrumental in the religious revolution, and then got cut out of the decision making on account of her uterus.

AnotherLeon wrote:
    I'd have thought that since the example of Germany pre and during WW2, that an educated public wouldn't stand by idle.
    The educated public didn't stand by idle either in Germany when the Nazis rose. Hence why the Nazis had an organised quasi-army of Brownshirts to deal with people who disagreed. They were willing to use violence when their opponents were loathe to, like the Sons of Jacob, and they staged fake attacks to justify their government takeover and crack-downs on dissent and abrogation of individual rights, again, like the Sons of Jacob - as referenced in the series, when they talked about the faked "terrorist" attack that happened to kill a lot of Congress and gave the Sons of Jacob the excuse to suspend the Constitution because "national security".

Given what happened in America post September 11th, that too was also scarily plausible.
    Last edited by Edward Diego; 30th June 2017 at 6:05 am.

13. Post
    I'd really very much rather not hang out with more religious women.

This sounds like a very bad thing.

14. Post
    The horrendous fkcing part ads that Radio Sport are doing for this show has me hating it before I've ever seen it.

15. Post
    I thought this show was absolutely brilliant. My favourite of the year thus far, by a long shot, and one I went into not expecting to like at all. My wife and I binged watched it over a weekend and as a poster above said; she also went through the end-of-season grieving process.

To the guy who said that this could never happen - it basically has already happened dozens of times throughout history..

16. Post
    Great show, kind of a downer and such...but like how Canada comes out Trumps (intended).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

17. Post
    Won the TCAA award for both Drama and Program of the Year, so certainly a very timely show in Trump's America.

18. Post
    Part way through this, and really enjoying it. Well, not so much enjoying it, as just can't look away. How plausible the premise is is what strikes me the most.

19. Post
    well it is a pretty seductive narrative. We see it today, plenty of " well meaning " folk deliberately using their confirmation bias and belief system to trample over another human being for the sake of justifying their belief systems. We seen it long time ago when the Nazis took over, beaten down and humiliated by the ww1 punitive punishments the Germans followed a charismatic orator who promised them honour, dignity and pride back in their lives and gave them an easy identifiable target .

today we have similar movements in many western societies. From a 4th Wave feminist who lied after getting gang raped by muslim migrants and believed that her telling the truth would hurt the " migrant cause " to Neo nazis marching in Charlottesville chanting outdated slogans of racism etc. There are many who willingly abandon logic and rational for a belief system. Of course we in NZ are not immune either.

20. Post
    ^ Good post

21. Post
    I'm home with a chest infection, and only have one episode to go. It's really well made, and a compelling watch, I just wish the "c**ts" were getting f**ked up a bit quicker.

22. Post
    T-t-t-t-trrrriple post!

Finished this today; so good. Still a bit slow, but incredibly compelling, and i feel like the little wins that June/Offred and the other Handmaid's are getting are indications of bigger things to come. Season 2... c'mon!!

As Mek7 mentioned above, the choice of music is spot on - when Don't You Forget About Me and White Rabbit fired up, i couldn't help but smile.

And i might have to rewatch the last few minutes of the finale; i don't recall the 4th-wall-breaking stunt that Gwarden mentioned, just seemed like she was looking out the back of the paddy-wagon towards the camera. Maybe i missed the subtleties of the scene.

23. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    Not a bad series, but I struggled with the credibility of the premise. For that world to have eventuated, it counts on massive numbers of good people doing nothing, and it even counts on the females (such as Mrs Waterford) actively working to legislate away their own rights.

Depends on when the crisis happened relative to WW2. Humans are terrible at remembering much further back than a few generations. Genocides have been happening for several millennia because of our inability to consider that which doesn't not directly effect us.

24. Post
    Frederick James wrote:

And i might have to rewatch the last few minutes of the finale; i don't recall the 4th-wall-breaking stunt that Gwarden mentioned, just seemed like she was looking out the back of the paddy-wagon towards the camera. Maybe i missed the subtleties of the scene.
    Yeah...I wondered that too. Gwarden; what exactly were you talking about there?

25. Post
    I am pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that she was looking near the camera, but then in the last moment she looks directly into the camera, in which case 4th-wall breaking is a pretty cheap tactic for a show like this, and has been done before on other, lesser shows (eg it was a favourite season-ending move on Dexter.)