1. Post
    Noels have a sale on some of their flagship headphones right now.

PXC-550's $ 349.99
    https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/a...rod159417.html

Sony WH1000XM2 $419.30
    https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/a...rod159417.html

2. Post
    ^^^ $288 for the Bose QC25 is a steal too!

3. Post
    Thinking of getting the PXC-550 for work and travel... but does anyone know how they would perform for gaming/Netflix etc at home? I have some of those Jaycar "Digitech Pro Monitors" at present

4. Post
    I'll try remember to use them for gaming and report back. Will have to be wired though as I don't have a bluetooth dongle handy. Sony cans mentioned above are $350 currently at Noels, 550's sitting at ~$380 IIRC

5. Post
    Thanks. I was looking to get some DT880s or something but it would be nice to save the money by getting quality headphones I can use in every situation

6. Post
    I actually have both the Sony v2 and Sennheiser. Quick summary from my POV:

Comfort: About the same depending on head and ear shape. Sony has less clamp but Sennheiser a tiny bit lighter, Didn't feel a lot of pressure at the top of my head.

NC: Sony wins because it filters out chatter and higher frequencies better. For lower frequencies and background noise, about the same. Sony has some extra features (e.g. atmosphere pressure detection) but I'm not sure how useful they actually are. Sony has more noticeable hiss when NC is on.

Usability: Mixed. Touch controls are more responsive on Sennheiser but doesn't power off automatically if not connected to bluetooth. Sony powers off by itself. Sony relies on physical button presses to let ambient noise in or cusping the headphone which is kinda weird, where as you just double tap with Sennheiser.

Build quality and QC: I personally think Sennheiser is better. There are quite a few factory scratches on the matte plastic on the Sony.

Sound quality: Depends on your preference. Sennheiser is brighter with tight bass so gives you that perception that it sounds better. Sony has emphasised low-end and can sound muddier but it's all relative. Both sound good for their sound signature.

Versatility: Sennheiser hands down. It's almost under-priced because everyone forgets about its onboard DAC. You can use the app to adjust bass, treble, reverb and SAVE it into the headphones, meaning you can use those settings on ANY device. And you can plug it directly into a PC or laptop via USB and use the headphone's DAC, which is very good by the way. The Sony's can't do any of the above.

Sennheiser can do multi-point meaning you can connect mobile and laptop to the headphones at the same time - same as Bose. Sony can only connect to one device at a time.

I bought these headphones for flights so will be keeping the Sony's. But if you're looking an all-in-one cans, Sennheiser is better suited because of that built-in DAC - P/S: I might be selling the PXC550. As new and with receipt.
    Last edited by ticallista; 4th February 2018 at 10:13 am.

7. Post
    Great write up tic thanks for sharing. I'm seeing my future involving a lot of international flights starting mid this year so the Sony's win in that department because of the nc? How about lugging it around when not in use, do you just wrap round your neck or is it easy enough to stow away(long international flights needs good space management). And inflight entertainment guess there is no choice but wired?

8. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    Great write up tic thanks for sharing. I'm seeing my future involving a lot of international flights starting mid this year so the Sony's win in that department because of the nc? How about lugging it around when not in use, do you just wrap round your neck or is it easy enough to stow away(long international flights needs good space management). And inflight entertainment guess there is no choice but wired?
    Around neck is fine but I generally don't like doing that as it restricts my head movement haha. Both come with carry cases though I prefer Sony's. I did find fitting the Sennheiser's into its case a bit fiddlier to do.

Never tried inflight entertainment but unless the consoles have changed to include BT, it will be wired.

One thing I just realised is that the flashing LEDs are always visible with the Sony, but Sennheiser switches them off. Won't matter to the wearer but maybe other people.

9. Post
    ticallista wrote:

P/S: I might be selling the PXC550. As new and with receipt.
    Price?

10. Post
    Boreas wrote:
    Price?
    Pmd

11. Post
    Was thinking of a BT880 but now I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the PXC550- after sitting through people mowing their lawns etc today, and the somewhat excessive fan noise from my PC. If I plug it in via USB will it have any appreciable lag (for Netflix or gaming)?

12. Post
    I tried a bit of PUBG with mine tonight connected via 3.5mm, worked fine. Haven't tried via USB, might give that a whirl tomorrow.

13. Post
    Boreas wrote:
    Was thinking of a BT880 but now I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the PXC550- after sitting through people mowing their lawns etc today, and the somewhat excessive fan noise from my PC. If I plug it in via USB will it have any appreciable lag (for Netflix or gaming)?
    DT880's are fantastic cans but they are semi-open, so don't get them with the intent to use anywhere public as they leak. They do a pretty good job of shutting out outside noise though.

14. Post
    mrjenkins wrote:
    DT880's are fantastic cans but they are semi-open, so don't get them with the intent to use anywhere public as they leak. They do a pretty good job of shutting out outside noise though.
    What do you think the sound quality will be relative to the pxc 550? The DT880 will obviously be far less versatile (desktop use only), but if they blow the pxc out of the water in terms of sound quality....

15. Post
    How much of an audiophile are you? The 550's sound fine to me, I only have gaming headset and m50x headphones to compare to. Sound good to me. You can probably go listen at Noel's, my local had a few different sets on display for listening.

16. Post
    They are using the same drivers as the hd558 so probably google hd558 vs dt880 to get a general idea
    Last edited by SirGrim; 5th February 2018 at 6:17 pm.

17. Post
    Bought the 550s, trying them out now. Far better imaging/separation and bass. Sound stage is maybe a bit less than the HM5s. For some reason speech sounds a little worse in movies? I'll play with the EQ

18. Post
    Boreas wrote:
    What do you think the sound quality will be relative to the pxc 550? The DT880 will obviously be far less versatile (desktop use only), but if they blow the pxc out of the water in terms of sound quality....
    When buying high end audio equipment, you can go to retailers and demo some stuff. I went through a few different Senn cans until I got the DT880s, in my opinion they're what everyone should use on a PC.

19. Post
    Are the dt880 better than say the ad-900x as well? The 900 seems to have bigger drivers could have better soundstage for shooters
    Last edited by SirGrim; 6th February 2018 at 9:50 am.

20. Post
    mrjenkins wrote:
    When buying high end audio equipment, you can go to retailers and demo some stuff. I went through a few different Senn cans until I got the DT880s, in my opinion they're what everyone should use on a PC.
    Yeah I might "save up" for some of these next. Mobo board sound is quite impressive these days, might even skip the DAC

21. Post
    Anyone used these?

Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 In-Ear Monitors

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...85810599507153

22. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Anyone used these?

Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 In-Ear Monitors

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...85810599507153
    It's a new drop/product that hasn't shipped yet, so it would seem fairly unlikely.

23. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    It's a new drop/product that hasn't shipped yet, so it would seem fairly unlikely.
    Or the EDC version then.

24. Post
    QC35 are on sale of Noel Leeming at the moment, close to the all time low. Going to pick a set up and flick on my QC25 as although I tried and like the sound more on the Sony, I canít get past the comfort on the Bose.

25. Post
    Puk wrote:
    QC35 are on sale of Noel Leeming at the moment, close to the all time low. Going to pick a set up and flick on my QC25 as although I tried and like the sound more on the Sony, I can’t get past the comfort on the Bose.
    $495? Is that the sale price?