Im after peoples opinions on headphones used for public Transport/traveling

my Requirements:
    • They need to be either on ear or full size/over ear
    • Dont care about BT
    • foldable
    • Sound as good or better than shure 840's
    • Ideally have them powered off a Phone
    • I dont care about fashion
    • I have a Mighty Ape voucher Id like to use, so this would restrict many of the brands

Some of the options I've narrowed it down to are:
    • Sony: MDR-100ABN
    • Senn: Pxc 480
    • Senn Momentums 2.0
    • Senn Urbanites

with my last option being to fix my modded Shure 840's (which im strongly considering)
    the big deciding factor for me is whether any of the above list sound better than the shure 840's!

Currently my headband is broken, so I have done a rangi fix which works, but I can no longer fold them up!
    I have since changed the headband cushion and velour ear pads
    Mod here: http://www.thesoundapprentice.com/20...eadphones.html

my ears no longer sweat, headband doesnt have the heavyness or clamp pressure like it did before.
    Being powered off a Fiio E10, Currently my work set.

I may later buy a Portable Dac/amp depending on the headphones I use for public transport.

Has anyone heard the above list? any comparisons? thoughts?
    Is there any places I could audition these?

2. Post
    not impressed with urbanites
    Really enjoyed the over ear Momentums today

Really want to listen to the PXC 480's

3. Post
    Check out Focal Spirit Professionals. It's what I rock at the moment. They don't require a ridiculous amount of power so you don't need a preamp either. They go louder than your ears can reasonably handle at half volume, which is the disappointment about efficient high quality headphones. You will want more volume but your ears can't handle it and will begin bleeding first instead. They produce a very clean neutral sound, neither bass nor treble heavy and will give most of those off the shelf Sennheiser's a pretty fair run. They do have good highs and lows its just neither is pronounced. I've owned Senns in that kind of price bracket before, and would not go back at this point.

4. Post
    They might be outside your budget but I would go with the Bose noise cancelling headphones for travel.

They may not be the best sounding headphones in isolation but in a noisy environment like a bus the noise cancelling means you hear more of your music without having to crank the volume to drown out the engine and road noise.

5. Post
    Koss PortaPro. Love those cans!
    Lifetime warranty as well. Literally the only portables you will ever need to buy.

6. Post
    Thanks guys
    I really wanted to use my mighty ape voucher though, which the models above don't cover.
    I actually have sportapro's which have the same drivers but at a cheaper price

They are open back, really need closed
    My headphones are hd800's, sportapro's are my bed headset
    Shure 840 have been my work phones

Haven't liked Bose headphones I've auditioned in the past either, didn't give the qc35's much of a listen though.
    I thought the momements over ears were nice, in ears not so much

7. Post
    Koss portas so good but not for public transport. I would recommend active noise cancelling or iems

8. Post
    s4turn wrote:
    Thanks guys
    I really wanted to use my mighty ape voucher though, which the models above don't cover.
    I actually have sportapro's which have the same drivers but at a cheaper price

They are open back, really need closed
    My headphones are hd800's, sportapro's are my bed headset
    Shure 840 have been my work phones

Haven't liked Bose headphones I've auditioned in the past either, didn't give the qc35's much of a listen though.
    I thought the momements over ears were nice, in ears not so much

Bose are just overpriced novelty wank as is most things Sorknee at this point but the MDR-100ABN are not bad. The Sennheiser Momentums are a bit of wank with the material they're made out of, potentially they may be a bit on the brighter side of the listening perspective but I haven't really tried the other ones, other than the Sony and Sennheiser options a JB Hifi. But it's hard to get a good idea of things at JB Hi Fi where its almost never the listening environment you would use.

I got a good deal on my Focal Spirits and I'm sticking with them until they fall apart which like most thing French they're actually prone to doing. That has nothing to do with the sound quality of course, its just the average French build quality that most people complain about eventually with these headphones.
    Last edited by Roumelio; 6th May 2017 at 5:35 pm.

9. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    Bose are just overpriced novelty wank
    Take if from someone who recently flew a combined 25 hours -the Bose noise cancelling is worth every dime...

10. Post
    The qc series arnt the usual bose wank, the QC25s are in effect an general public aviation headset (bose A20) and work really well. Also just flew 27 hours in silence but used my aviation headset ratjer than spend another $400.

Just get the QC25s

11. Post
    I use Ultrasone Signature Pros when out and about, but those are well outside your budget going by the options you listed.

Whatever you decide to go with, make sure it's rugged enough to stand up to being used in public (folded/unfolded constantly, worn around neck, getting dropped/bumped etc.). Otherwise it'll end up the same way as your 840's. :P

12. Post
    brand wrote:
    Take if from someone who recently flew a combined 25 hours -the Bose noise cancelling is worth every dime...
    I'm not going to argue that they do work as intended. You could spend your money on many things worse such as anything by Beats by Dre... Where its more about keeping the noise out then they're probably a pretty good choice.

13. Post
    Audio quality aside, active noise cancelling is a must for air travel.

14. Post

15. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    Bose are just overpriced novelty wank as is most things Sorknee at this point but the MDR-100ABN are not bad. The Sennheiser Momentums are a bit of wank with the material they're made out of, potentially they may be a bit on the brighter side of the listening perspective but I haven't really tried the other ones, other than the Sony and Sennheiser options a JB Hifi. But it's hard to get a good idea of things at JB Hi Fi where its almost never the listening environment you would use.

I got a good deal on my Focal Spirits and I'm sticking with them until they fall apart which like most thing French they're actually prone to doing. That has nothing to do with the sound quality of course, its just the average French build quality that most people complain about eventually with these headphones.

Personally for me over ear momentums sound pretty decent for a closed set.. Didnt like the On-ear momentums

And no I disagree with you about the wank Materials, if anything the momentums look and feel pretty damn nice.

Im not sure if many read my post, but the range I was after had to be from Mighty Ape, im now sitting on the fence about replacing my Shure 840's anyway

I didnt mind the bose QC35 at JB, I dont think I gave them a fair chance, but id have to pick the momentums over them if push came to shove! (personally)

the pxc 480's and 550's were the cans I really want to audition but no one had them available for auditioning
    It annoys me when I cannot use my own music to compare headphones too!

And yes I agree nzbleach, I would be after some ANC headphones

@invisibleshadow - lol yeah I dont think their design department thought about the headband, the shures have served me well though, I've grown to love the sound.
    Last edited by s4turn; 8th May 2017 at 8:36 pm.

16. Post
    Momentum Wireless over ear user here. Phenomenal headphones, so comfortable and I love the premium materials and build. They aren't cheap though (RRP) but I scored mine for just over $420 odd in a Black Friday PB Tech sale. Noise cancellation is excellent for travel/portability but if you use them wired and amped etc. they are incredible!

17. Post
    birdman wrote:
    Momentum Wireless over ear user here. Phenomenal headphones, so comfortable and I love the premium materials and build. They aren't cheap though (RRP) but I scored mine for just over $420 odd in a Black Friday PB Tech sale. Noise cancellation is excellent for travel/portability but if you use them wired and amped etc. they are incredible!
    ^^ wow thats a cheap price!

18. Post
    Ha ha yeah it was a good score alright there was no way I was going to pay the $700 odd RRP they were asking! It was $447 to be exact I just found the receipt earlier

19. Post
    My 2c

I have the QC 35s they are extremely comfortable for long periods of time and their noise cancelling is probably the best around, only the Sony MDR 1000x can complete with Bose in ANC. The only drawback is audio quality; mainly the bass is dull. The noise cancelling is so good I can't hear anything at work, so I now use my old V-Moda M-100's instead.

If you are willing to splash out for the best overall Wireless Active Noise Cancelling Headphones, at the moments its the Sony MDR 1000x. I tried my friends one, they have better audio quality than the QC 35s, similar noise cancelling, plus some really handy features like ambient sound, plus a cool hand pause feature.

I found the Sennheiser Momentums were uncomfortable for me, maybe that's because I have big ears :S

20. Post
    eyeing up the audeze sine's
    is youshop very expensive?

21. Post
    s4turn wrote:
    eyeing up the audeze sine's
    is youshop very expensive?
    Its pretty decently priced from the US with economy shipping as long as what you buy isn't heavy. Also you could get made to pay GST if what you import is over $400.

NZD$9.00 per parcel, plus NZD$3.50 per 500g

22. Post
    hmm got to listen to a few headphones today
    -Senns momentum 2.0 overears wireless. Now off my list (I preferred the wired version, could not stand the pressure of ANC on my ears )
    -Senns PXC 550 off the list, volume didnt seem enough on my iphone, very fatiguing sound, bad sound stage, Momentum's are much better imho
    -B&W p7 wireless headphones, best wireless headphones so far, awesome build quality, ticked the boxes for everything except the awful midbass boost, I just hated it on songs which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
    -Oppo Pm-3's so far seem to be the nicest ive heard! and most neutral, i liked the comfort and the build too. they seem to scale well with a separate dac/amp. Bass did seem a bit light.

so I have gone from wanting bluetooth and ANC headphones to now sealed wired headphones

so now will have to try and audition the audeze sines
    If I was to get the oppo's, then ill need something like a portable dac/amp like the dragonfly.
    hopefully my E10k will power these at work

Has anyone heard the sine's and pm3's?

23. Post
    got the MDR1000X for $524 on special today at noels
    JB price matched for me!

So far these seem the best sounding to me.
    more comfortable than P7w's and more neutral sounding.

the ANC didnt bother me as much as the Senns.
    imo they are better than the pxc550's and QC35's as far as sound goes!

I still prefer the oppo pm3's over these, but the wireless, ANC and portability in general are winners..
    And the sound is decent

Dont know what to do with my poor Shure 840's

24. Post
    Those Sony headphones are good, I have a general aversion to most things Sony but out of the list I would have made the same choice the P7 or the Sony you chose.

25. Post
    I'm using the audio technica ath-m50x studio set. It's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk