The Witcher [Netflix]

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 7 of 8 First ... 45678 Last

1. Post
    such luscious excess, too bad the rest of the show didnt have any more of this

this can been stuck in my head since:

2. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    The timeline is kinda simple once you get to the end of the show, pretty much every time you see Ciri it's the present while up until the penultimate episode every time you see Geralt or Yennifer it's the past. This season feels like a prologue setting up all the pieces for the story proper to begin in season 2, I don't mind it but I can see how a lot of people will be annoyed by it.
    The start of the last episode, with all the emblems of the previous episodes melding together into the Witcher's Wolf symbol, that let you know what was what.

Really enjoyed that last episode, was good to see

Spoiler:

From my Wiki reading, the TV series seems to be quite faithful to the structure of the books - the first book was collection of short stories building the Witcher world, before a coherent plot emerges. i mean, even the name of the last episode was "Much More".

I'm really looking forward to next season now that the timelines have converged, and I had reinstalled Witcher 3, and the TV series has helped me dramatically in understanding who all these kingdoms and people are, and why I care, which makes the game way more enjoyable.

Fun aside - my partner and I now like to say "Hmm", and "Ah, ****" to each other in a low Henry Cavill growl.

3. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    The timeline is kinda simple once you get to the end of the show, pretty much every time you see Ciri it's the present while up until the penultimate episode every time you see Geralt or Yennifer it's the past. This season feels like a prologue setting up all the pieces for the story proper to begin in season 2, I don't mind it but I can see how a lot of people will be annoyed by it.
    As I mentioned above, it seems to track the first Witcher book's short stories well.

Episode 1, "The End's Beginning": https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lesser_Evil and https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_..._(short_story)
    Episode 2, "Four Marks": https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Edge_of_the_World
    Episode 3, "Betrayer Moon": https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/A_Question_of_Price
    Episode 5, "Bottled Appetites": https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_..._(short_story)

I haven't read the books, but I'd wager Borch etc. also occur in there.

But yeah, it's a little annoying, but they give you plenty of clues about when something's happening - e.g., when people talk about the Lion of Cintra being a bit of a dick in the present tense when last we saw, she was past tense.

4. Post
    What. wrote:
    this can been stuck in my head since:
    It's one hell of an earworm, that. I can only remember the chorus, and it's on a loop in my head!

5. Post
    I definitely liked it. Looking forward to season 2. Cavill nails Geralt.

6. Post
    People actually liking this show is a strange phenomenon. Have to agree with the critics on this one.

The clunky dialogue and fanfiction-tier romantic melodrama aside, I think the worst part is that the plot is never driven by character motivations but instead it's all just chalked up to people at the mercy of Destiny or people just doing their job or stuff is just seeming to happen around that character. Is this interesting to gamers idek?

7. Post
    Basically the show felt too rushed, definately needed a couple more episodes, after the 4th episode the season went downhill and I struggled to maintain interest at times. 6.8 outta 10 for me.

8. Post
    The destiny bit comes from people's choices. Pretty sure i can go spoiler now. Basically the Law of Surprise is effectively an individual choosing his destiny. If you leave it to destiny to choose for you, guess what? you get bound to that choice regardless . Geralt , Yennefer, Emyrs ( Duny ) etc all could have chosen differently .

9. Post
    k

10. Post
    I thought they absoutely nailed the aesthetic side - there were some obvious pacing issues but it was pretty great recognising specific quests from the game. It definitely felt like the Witcher. Cavill was really good too; Geralt could've easily felt very, very cheesy.

My only criticism is that ep 3/4 were probably the best, and after that there was obvious pacing issues. It definitely felt like a cluster **** to begin with but they tied it together well in the end.

11. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    People actually liking this show is a strange phenomenon. Have to agree with the critics on this one.

The clunky dialogue and fanfiction-tier romantic melodrama aside, I think the worst part is that the plot is never driven by character motivations but instead it's all just chalked up to people at the mercy of Destiny or people just doing their job or stuff is just seeming to happen around that character. Is this interesting to gamers idek?
    People like different things mang. My non-gaming missus enjoyed it.

12. Post
    Haven't seen much of the games but I liked it

13. Post
    First couple of eps had more to do with the last wish novel. Thought they were pretty good.

14. Post
    This is a shit tier show. It's just bad, at everything...

Except the dragon. Majestic creature.

15. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Same, Enjoying it so far.

16. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    griefmaker wrote:
    Same, Enjoying it so far.
    Someone revoke these guys' gamer cards lol

17. Post
    Bard was garbage.Painful and stupid throughout the show.The "comedy" was the most off putting part of the series.

18. Post
    Saw the first ep. No real problems, except why did the defending army leave the city?

19. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Someone revoke these guys' gamer cards lol
    I have played some of the first witcher game . I just do not like free roam or rpg games much.

20. Post
    yea ive tried multiple times to play the witcher 3 its just too slow for my taste but I really liked this show.

21. Post
    Just watched episode 1. It's pretty good, but the battles and fight scenes are a ****ing shitshow.

22. Post
    It was alright. I'd be fine if they didn't bother with the next season, but will also watch it when it comes out.

23. Post
    Man the opinions of this are all over the place.

24. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    It's one hell of an earworm, that. I can only remember the chorus, and it's on a loop in my head!
    Here's a version you might appreciate:

And here's a nerdy breakdown of the big fight in episode 1 that reflects how I feel about it:

25. Post
    I finished this last night. It was a 6/10 for me some of the sword fights were pretty cool like the 1st episode. If they put more effort in dialogue and characters it'd be a bit better in my view. Some of it was like a stage show like with the super bright visuals downplaying some of the mystery that they were trying to convey. I kinda got bored of watching this show tbh. I dunno if I'll bother watching Season 2.