The Witcher [Netflix]

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Looks fantastic, Cavill of Rivia looks the part!!

Ciri's actress seems really good too and Yennefer looks stunning...can see some cool chemistry developing between Geralt and Yen.

Delish.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2. Post
    Looks better than I thought it would be still not entirely convinced though.

If this flops one would suspect this would be the start of Netflix's fall from grace considering how much in debt they are and the new streaming services soon to follow.
    Last edited by Chaosfollowsme; 21st July 2019 at 9:41 am.

3. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    not trying to step on anyone's gamer moment, but this looks like it should be on the CW
    CW wishes they had the budget for something that looks like this.

4. Post
    Still not sold on Cavill as Geralt but I thought the trailer was pretty good.

5. Post
    So... A trailer going to drop soon! looks like in time for Halloween in the US.

6. Post

7. Post
    All the hype! imo it's looking good.
    ...that bathtub scene lol. seems a bit of fanservice going on too.

8. Post
    Shiet that is looking good

9. Post
    The makeup, especially on the woman NPCs, looks too contemporary. I'm not saying that it would ruin the show, but it's a weird choice to have the trailer open on a smoky eyeshadow makeup look video.

10. Post

11. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    The makeup, especially on the woman NPCs, looks too contemporary. I'm not saying that it would ruin the show, but it's a weird choice to have the trailer open on a smoky eyeshadow makeup look video.
    This regukarky hits my autismnerve too.

12. Post
    u wot m8

13. Post
    Releases 9PM tonight. Totally forgot with all the Star Wars hype lol.

14. Post
    1st episode was a pretty good start. My one nitpick is the battle scenes don't seem very well shot. Looked kinda cheap? The fight scenes with geralt on the other hand looked great felt the impact of every punch and sword strike. Definitely going for the game of thrones vibe full on nudity.

Netflix know their audience Lots of shots of Henry's ass in full leather lol. Was also surprised to see Lars Mikkelsen in this. He often gets overlooked by his more popular brother Mads. Cinematography for the. Most part was great. Music was good. Title sequence was a little disappointing virtually non existent. I guess they wanted to spend the budget elsewhere. Interesting arc setup with Ciri. Overall a good start has me hooked for now.

15. Post
    Yeah felt like a poor man's GoT to me lol. Felt like I was watching a Saturday afternoon TV show at times. That kikimora at the beginning looked pretty low budget as well. Agree with the fight scenes involving Geralt. They were awesome. I was actually a bit bored at times but will keep watching.

16. Post
    Little bit hit and miss for me, a lot of sequences looked like they were shot in a studio if you know what I mean? something about the colorwork or the compositing just felt off a lot of times

but idgaf, that swordplay is the coolest I've ever seen in my entire life, star wars ****ing included. that was breathtaking.

initially I didnt see cavill as a very good geralt, but he done proved me wrong

17. Post
    I have only watched the first episode, but this definitely comes off as a video game adaptation rather than a novel adaptation in terms of quality. Production values and set/costume design are pretty cheap. I thought the script dialogue started strong (maybe with a bit too much emphasis on animal cruelty but that aspect kind of gave it an edge and added to the world building). But then with the exception of the first 10 minutes the dialogue turned into a bad cutscene for the remainder of the episode. How many times did they infodump and use the word Destiny? I think they needed to expand on that from the outset to avoid it sounding cheesy and tropey.

I disagree about the fight scenes being good. The over-the-top sound effects and choice of camera shots made it come across more like an Edgar Wright or Matthew Vaughn movie. I think the scenes had potential to be good if they dialled that tonal issue down a bit. Again, I've only watched the first ep and apparently it gets better?

18. Post
    4 eps in, loving it with some small caveats.

Casting: Spot bloody on, Cavill IS Geralt. Yen surprisingly great too, Jaskier also a highlight.

Atmosphere nailed in terms of grimness and grime, Nilfgaard needs a bit more fleshing out. Ciri is good but needs growth (obviously that's the idea though).

One aspect that I feel needs embracing is the saturday morning monster of the week feel, once you embrace it, like say...Xfiles embrace, then it makes perfect sense in terms of tone and feel.

Going into this expecting GoT is NOT what should be done, and is a pitfall for some reviewers I've seen who don't really get it.

This is at about 8/10 for me so far, heard the season gains momentum too...so this is an in-interim take

clockblock wrote:
    Again, I've only watched the first ep and apparently it gets better?
    First ep easily the weakest of the first 4 so far for me, heard it keeps gaining momentum and ends with a bang too.

19. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    How many times did they infodump and use the word Destiny?
    I think I counted seven times.

20. Post
    In episode 4 during the wedding there's a fun scene where the queen is talking shit to geralt Henry very nearly breaks character lol

21. Post
    IST wrote:
    4 eps in, loving it with some small caveats.

Going into this expecting GoT is NOT what should be done, and is a pitfall for some reviewers I've seen who don't really get it.

If Netflix can waste 150 million on Bays 6 Underground action wankfest then they can damn well put the effort in to make the Witcher HBO quality. They have the ****ing money and need to start using it properly.

22. Post
    By not GoT, I meant in style and narrative structure, I think the production values are great!

23. Post
    They definitely made a good casting choice with Yennefer

It's a bit annoying how they keep jumping between past and present. Was a bit confusing at first.

24. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    They definitely made a good casting choice with Yennefer

It's a bit annoying how they keep jumping between past and present. Was a bit confusing at first.
    Smashed out the first four eps and I've finally got my head around the timelines Yennefer is the oldest then Geralt in the middle and Ciri is the newest. I'm still chuckling at Geralts response at the end of the wedding. Really enjoying it so far.

25. Post
    episode 5 was the worst thing i have seen in a long time.

It was written by Sheha Koorse whose previous work includes The Americans and Umbrella Academy, which were both fairly well written, so i wonder what happened.