1. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ot-guilty.html

And the media debate is finally beginning to be balanced out.

Scott Kuggeliejn is not the right face for any NZ #Me Too movement.

I am sure there is a scummy candidate out there more than deserving of the role.
    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/02/1...ott-kuggeleijn

Sure enough, the deeper thinking and more pertinent questions being asked continues... It shouldn't have taken this long, but better late than never.

“It’s not clear how many sexual encounters begin with “would you like to have sex?” followed by a straight “yes” - but the figure sure isn’t 100 percent.

“No”, often enough, is actually an opening position. It can be steadfastly maintained, or changed into a yes through a myriad of perfectly pleasant or at least legal means, ranging from charm, romance, a change of mind or circumstance, or even the offer of payment. The process can take moments, hours, days or years.”
    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/02/1...ott-kuggeleijn
    Last edited by Paddles; 12th February 2019 at 7:57 am.

2. Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12202739

Interesting opinions. I don't see how Seifert has played his way to the WC squad by smashing Ahmed around, though.

3. Post

4. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12202739

Interesting opinions. I don't see how Seifert has played his way to the WC squad by smashing Ahmed around, though.
    This - I hve seen a couple of articles claiming he has booked his spot in the team and that he has been a good keeper....I honestly don't remember seeing anyone else as scratchy with the gloves as him play for the Black Caps. Scoring a few runs in a couple of T20s is pretty low bar and flawed one if that is the criteria to make the ODI CWC team.

5. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    This - I hve seen a couple of articles claiming he has booked his spot in the team and that he has been a good keeper....I honestly don't remember seeing anyone else as scratchy with the gloves as him play for the Black Caps. Scoring a few runs in a couple of T20s is pretty low bar and flawed one if that is the criteria to make the ODI CWC team.
    Yeah - he's shoddy on his best. Worse than Latham, who aint exactly MS Dhoni with the gloves anyway. Pant is terrible as well, though. Worst in test cricket right now imo. That includes Afg, Shezhad is actually quite okay.

6. Post
    Newspapers today suggesting that Astle and Sodhi are in a two way showdown and only 2 spinners will goto the cup.

This is because Henry, Boult, Whakamana Express are the preferred bowling option over 2 spinners.

So 4 subs...

1 Seifert 2 Southee 3 Munro 4 Astle...

But does NZ need to take Seifert and Munro.... I just wonder whether Mitchell or yes, if the media get off NZC and his back, whether Scott K are smokies instead of one of Munro or Seifert....

And does this help Will Young's possible selection...

7. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Newspapers today suggesting that Astle and Sodhi are in a two way showdown and only 2 spinners will goto the cup.

This is because Henry, Boult, Whakamana Express are the preferred bowling option over 2 spinners.

So 4 subs...

1 Seifert 2 Southee 3 Munro 4 Astle...

But does NZ need to take Seifert and Munro.... I just wonder whether Mitchell or yes, if the media get off NZC and his back, whether Scott K are smokies instead of one of Munro or Seifert....

And does this help Will Young's possible selection...
    I like the expression Whakamana Express, What is its etymology?

8. Post
    Probably the thing holding Kuggs back is, by memory, his List A econ rate is a smidgeon high,

9. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I like the expression Whakamana Express, What is its etymology?
    ACC - on Radio Hauraki - Wells and Heath have a regular called Abe from Whakamana (runs a cannabis museum in Whakamana and leader of cannabis reform in NZ).

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/d...ofile-abe-gray

They also use Whakamana for comedy ads, particularly about drugs. It's their goto town of choice.

https://www.hauraki.co.nz/shows/the-...ef=nzmeHauraki - Should the whakamana hole be legal?

As you know, Waqar was the Bulewero Express, and Akhtar was the Riwalpindi Express, so they named Lockie the Whakamana Express, which gives them further comedy options with the town name as events unfold during the game. As I understand Lockie is from Auckland, Whakamana is down Dunedin ways....

Hauraki and the ACC through Wells promote NZ cricket and cricket in general more than NZC and Sky TV do. And the Black Caps players know this and love them for it.

Since Wells got a job on Hauraki, most of the ACC are now dj's on Hauraki...

But don't fret - Lockie loves the nickname:

https://www.hauraki.co.nz/video/haur...-sodhi-stream/
    Last edited by Paddles; 19th February 2019 at 3:04 pm.

10. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Probably the thing holding Kuggs back is, by memory, his List A econ rate is a smidgeon high,
    Media...

The thing is, he covers an allround option, allbeit weakly, and a fast bowling option. I hope this does not open the door for Douggie, I have no faith in Douggie to perform at all under pressure. I'd rather they roll the dice on Mitchell...

11. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    ACC - on Radio Hauraki - Wells and Heath have a regular called Abe from Whakamana (runs a cannabis museum in Whakamana and leader of cannabis reform in NZ).

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/d...ofile-abe-gray

They also use Whakamana for comedy ads, particularly about drugs. It's their goto town of choice.

https://www.hauraki.co.nz/shows/the-...ef=nzmeHauraki - Should the whakamana hole be legal?

As you know, Waqar was the Bulewero Express, and Akhtar was the Riwalpindi Express, so they named Lockie the Whakamana Express, which gives them further comedy options with the town name as events unfold during the game. As I understand Lockie is from Auckland, Whakamana is down Dunedin ways....

Hauraki and the ACC through Wells promote NZ cricket and cricket in general more than NZC and Sky TV do. And the Black Caps players know this and love them for it.

Since Wells got a job on Hauraki, most of the ACC are now dj's on Hauraki...

But don't fret - Lockie loves the nickname:

https://www.hauraki.co.nz/video/haur...-sodhi-stream/
    There's no like button so thanks for this Paddles

12. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Media...

The thing is, he covers an allround option, allbeit weakly, and a fast bowling option. I hope this does not open the door for Douggie, I have no faith in Douggie to perform at all under pressure. I'd rather they roll the dice on Mitchell...
    I was big on Kuggs a few years ago but then he tanked on an A team tour. Then I saw him on that Super Smash game a few months ago bowling 140 plus and got a man crush.
    Then when selected for the T20 team before he even debuted I said put him in for cdg.

I have since gone a bit cold as he should have played in this series against bangers to be a consideration. Things are too late now even as a bolter.

The other problem is Santner is out of form with the bat and terribly so, We would need Santner to bat 7 for Kuggs to play and that movie isn't coming to a screen near you anytime soon.

13. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I was big on Kuggs a few years ago but then he tanked on an A team tour. Then I saw him on that Super Smash game a few months ago bowling 140 plus and got a man crush.
    Then when selected for the T20 team before he even debuted I said put him in for cdg.

I have since gone a bit cold as he should have played in this series against bangers to be a consideration. Things are too late now even as a bolter.

The other problem is Santner is out of form with the bat and terribly so, We would need Santner to bat 7 for Kuggs to play and that movie isn't coming to a screen near you anytime soon.
    No you don't. You could bat Kuggs at 7 and Santa at 8. Tastle at 7 and Kuggs at 8. Kuggs at 9 if Lockie gets injured.

There are options given it will be injury replacement. Most Kuggs's runs have been the past 3/4 seasons anyway. He was a tailend quick to begin with who's batting has been growing. Santner started the opposite, he was meant to be a batsman who could bowl, but he's gone the reverse.

As for late, unless they go Southee, Munro, Seifert and Astle - there will be a bolter.

I don't see the point of Munro and Seifert both. I really don't. But I know most teams like 2 fast bowling options on the bench, even if an allrounder like Morris for SA...

The options to do this are Doug, too late, Mitchell, too late, and Kuggs...

14. Post
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/...-cup-wildcards

And it makes Neesham and/or de Grandhomme the most vital cogs in this squad with their batting power. If both fire in the same lineup they could be lethal. But the big question remains, whether they can ice a high pressure run chase.
    It's like Mark has read my posts. But this is well written article and he has been putting some thought into it.

He doesn't state it, but states Bracewell ahead of Kuggs, so implictly he thinks NZC will wimp out either way. His 15 is pretty safe with Munro, Seifert, Astle and Southee the subs and Doug Bracewell, Sodhi, Corey Anderson, Adam Milne and Young on stand by.

15. Post
    We've made a fair few semi-finals & a final in this comp, if we're to give ourselves a good chance of making the final again can't afford to be too conservative or over attack at the top of the order, reckon it's a silly tactic to give Munro a free licence to blast from the start against the top teams, just gives them a much higher percentage of getting an early wicket & basically putting us on the back foot straightaway, ffs ! just play the ball on it's merit, defend the good ones well & attack the loose balls, say for argument sake would prefer us to have a pretty slow start & have 30-40 runs on the board after 10 overs with no wickets down as we know both openers are very attacking batsmen so can easily score at a faster run rate down the track.

16. Post
    And in live games:

WI have blasted to 360 on the back of T20 mercs Gayle, Bravo and new boy wonder Shai Hope.

WI still have the possible inclusion of Dre Russ, and the possible return of Lewis to further strengthen their batting power team. Don't know if Pollard has quit WI entirely like DJ Bravo has...

But England look to be running this down easy with Roy current on 111 (71) and Eng 181 after 22 overs...

Oh I do worry about NZ at this world cup. I really really do. Do we have the batting firepower to compete in the modern game? Neesh and CdG seems critical to NZC to NZ hopes to me.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...-of-wi-2018-19

Gayle's slow start looks set to kill WI in this game. He was 26(54) at 20 overs. 8(26) at 10 overs. 135 (129) in the 47th over out.
    Last edited by Paddles; 21st February 2019 at 11:29 am.

17. Post
    England take 39.1 overs to make 300. The shot of the match for mine so far is ridiculous cover drive by Roy from a back of a length delivery from man giant Odele Thomas at 148 km/h. That's just nonsense cricket. But if anyone makes nonsense pay off, it's Jason Roy.

I really hope Stead and Jurgo are watching and following these matches. The issue isn't just stopping a rampant England that noone seems to have an answer for and yet Indian greats have still self-declared themselves as favourites and NZC to conceal its blushes was happy to agree with, there's also the small matter of WI getting better...

I do hope their world cup blueprint contains some solutions to this utter carnage that is happening in world cricket right now. Because they never gave Mitchell a shot in ODI at all. And there's noone else I know of in domestic cricket with a bag of tricks up his sleeve to try and slow scoring rates without banging it in short like Kuggs or Mitch McC. Well there's Bennett, who they just don't seem to trust.

England need 39 runs with 7 wickets in hand off 7 overs... 360 - tree schmixty. Business as usual for this very very impressive team. My fav ODI team ever.
    Last edited by Paddles; 21st February 2019 at 12:41 pm.

18. Post
    Tbh if ODIs are going to consistent of 350 odd scores for years to come I don't know if I'm gonna like it :/

I also see if the trend keeps up ODIS will be just classed as a longer version of t20 and slowly phased out or maybe t20 may have to go in the direction of 25/30 over games and ODIs will phase out altogether?

You hear it all to often now "meaningless ODI" I remember when no ODI was meaningless sadly this was yonks ago.

19. Post
    Chaosfollowsme wrote:
    Tbh if ODIs are going to consistent of 350 odd scores for years to come I don't know if I'm gonna like it :/

I also see if the trend keeps up ODIS will be just classed as a longer version of t20 and slowly phased out or maybe t20 may have to go in the direction of 25/30 over games and ODIs will phase out altogether?

You hear it all to often now "meaningless ODI" I remember when no ODI was meaningless sadly this was yonks ago.
    JAMODI has been around since before t20. It's a catch cry of the test purist who only acknowledges ICC ODI events.

(Just another meaningless ODI)

Personally, and I'm possibly in the minority of fans keen enough to post on forums, I love the way England ODI play the game. What I do wonder, though, is who will come up with a way of knocking them off the top of the tree.

Because England's top order can collapse in swinging conditions, and they rebuild to 280 - 300+ with bowlers who don't bat don't get picked selection strategy. India - they go with 4 best bowlers incl 2 wrist spinners, but it wasn't enough to beat Eng in Eng.

Who has a different game plan, to beat Eng in a 5 match ODI series in England. Anyone can win a knock out tournament. There's luck involved there. But who can beat England in their zone in a series? What will it take?

AbDV wasn't enough. Kohli and Rohit wasn't enough. What is enough to beat them? And can England keep producing better batting sloggers than the rest of the world? Because Buttler looks irreplacable to me. Stokes and Woakes don't look that replacable either. They can bring Hales in for Root, and make Morgan then Stokes if req'd do the Root role. But Sam Curran aint a limited overs bowler.

Is this a sustainable way to play? Or just their current generation?

20. Post
    People talking up england a lot and yes their stats are great but I'm not a believer yet. They always seem to find a way to lose to a minnow or two in world cups no matter how highly they are fancied and after that their press are all over them

21. Post
    Dicey wrote:
    People talking up england a lot and yes their stats are great but I'm not a believer yet. They always seem to find a way to lose to a minnow or two in world cups no matter how highly they are fancied and after that their press are all over them
    There's a lot of luck in winning a world cup, India 1983, bs win (Dev catch), Aus 1987 - bs win (Gatting reverse sweep - And Aus was a rubbish team in the world then), Pak 1992 - bs win (shouldnt have even made the semis and should have possibly played SA in the final - should they have beaten NZ in the semi?), SL 1996 - I actually picked them - but for most people - it was a bs win and a freak de Silva innings, Aus 1999 - very lucky to get past SA, very very lucky - twice...,

the rest have gone to form and home conditions.

But even WI in 1975 at the time would have seemed to be a bs win... Clive LLoyd played an amazing innings 102(85) in 1975 v Lillee, Gilmour, Thommo and Walker... Even then it took 2 runouts from Viv to get the Chappells... And LLoyd bowled 12 cheap overs... and got Dougie Walters out...

When the AB's were known as the best in-between world cups, they were still the best... right?
    Last edited by Paddles; 21st February 2019 at 9:33 pm.

22. Post
    if the pitches are low and take turn look out for Afghanistan, they have 4-5 of the top 10 spin bowlers in the world , i think that is 1 match im worried about is them against NZ and the problem we have of playing against high class spin.

23. Post
    Have to say ODI cricket is going to the shitter if the future is a team full of allrounders and a passable score is 350+.

Nothing compares to the suspense of any team scoring less than they should or hell even enough and slowly see the RR tickup and forcing the opposition to make a move. That suspense is practically removed now and its take controlled slogs early on or within 5 overs the RR could be 10+, theres no more epic building of an innings anymore when the game is practically one paced the whole way through.

I miss the days a ball could practically talk an entire innings when a seamers around. Nowadays with the endless roads things a very one dimensional what about the reverse you could get at times that could literally change the game on its head.. And the greats of today are no where close to the greats in the 80/90s/00s no where close and its a joke its even in discussion, you can admire patience and temperament but thats it. things are fast becoming very same old same old and I wouldn't be surprised if come next WC a few people get sick of the high score run fests just like people got sick of ABS winning.

I fear soon ODIS will soon be in a sense a longer version of a t20 and who would bother when you can get the same kinda entertainment in half the time?

24. Post
    Bowling averages havn't changed all that much...

31.0 in 1980's, 32.5 in 1990's, 32.4 in 2000's, 33.06 in 2010's.

Bowlers are taking wickets faster than ever before, SR

44.9 in 1980's, 43.9 in 1990's, 40.7 in 2000's, 38.7 in 2010's.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

Teams are losing more wickets, and scoring more runs. They bat deeper and more competently, with better allrounders, better wicket keeper batsmen, and tailenders who work hard on their batting in the nets.

The days of 5 batsmen only, 1 wicketkeeper, and 4 bowlers and allrounder or 5 bowlers, are gone. The days of coaches and selectors dropping a batsman for going aerial and getting caught out, are gone.

It took over 10 years of a fielding circle in Aus and NZ before Greatbatch happened in 1992. It took Kluesner until 1999 for range hitting (practicing aerial shots on a field to know range of 6 hitting ability) to happen globally. Why? Why did wicket keepers not bat all that well in ODI before Gilly? Flower and Houghton from Zimbo - but noone acknowledged them. Just their tail end batsman who invented the scoop shot that Dilshan and McCullum made their own. Why did it take so long for the shot to exist?
    Last edited by Paddles; 22nd February 2019 at 12:21 am.

25. Post
    If people were being better batters wouldnt the SR per wicket be higher? Its a case of stacking the batting, and have more jacks of all trade as opposed to competent batting. Also if this is the future and we soon see India/England reliable make 350 reliably, it will be bang or bust for everyone else due to the massive gap from India/Eng downwards which of course creates a lower strike rate cause until the rest of the world adjusts this will be the case.

But the world doesn't need this type of cricket in ODIS, any cricket enthusiast would tell you more often than not that low scoring games are still the most entertaining, and when I say low scoring I don't mean 200 runs, even 250 odd games have proven to be epic, the fightback in the middle overs is always thrilling to watch I'm not expecting your example of - 5 batsmen, 1 wicketkeeper, and 5 bowler, for yonks everyones had the formula of trying to bat to 9 with obviously some teams depending on the given year being more shallow on avg.

Soon 350/400 plus scores will be the norm and ODIS will just be an extended version of a t20 that in time no one would have time for cause its the same rinse and repeat bs.