1. Post
    [Linux master race forums]

2. Post
    scholar wrote:
    [incel forums]
    FTFY and:

https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php

3. Post
    Who on earth is spending their time finding vulnerabilities in Windows RT?
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/2...l?vendor_id=26

4. Post
    I use a Mac these days so I'm safe.

5. Post
    OSS has more CVEs than closed source software? Pikachu_face.png

6. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Who on earth is spending their time finding vulnerabilities in Windows RT?
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/2...l?vendor_id=26
    Probably just common libraries.

7. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Just when I thought you couldn't get any hotter.

8. Post
    bearded hairbunned hipster with a macbook (or manbag with an apple logo) is grounds for pushing them in front of a bus in welly.

9. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    bearded hairbunned hipster with a macbook (or manbag with an apple logo) is grounds for pushing them in front of a bus in welly.
    if you can lure them out of the Starbucks

10. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I really did consider a Mac as an upgrade, but as I like to play particular games that dont run it, I am going to have to stay 'vulnerable'.

11. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    if you can lure them out of the Starbucks
    Surely a hipster would not stoop so low as to get coffee from Starbucks.

- - - Updated - - -

KiwiTT wrote:
    I really did consider a Mac as an upgrade, but as I like to play particular games that dont run it, I am going to have to stay 'vulnerable'.
    You could always go with there $5k USD gaming PC ...lol

12. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I am going to have to stay 'vulnerable'.
    Ask Vanessa Hudgens and Jennifer Lawrence how that Apple security worked for them

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Ask Vanessa Hudgens and Jennifer Lawrence how that Apple security worked for them
    Weren't they just password hacks?

14. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Weren't they just password hacks?
    Not those two, they were from the fappening. That was when you rung up apple, and needed the last 4 digits of your credit card to reset the password on your account.

15. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    Surely a hipster would not stoop so low as to get coffee from Starbucks.
    You're out of touch with the youf mate

16. Post
    I ended up installing cylance.

17. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    I ended up installing cylance.
    Sheesh ... made me look it up ... and found a review

"Next-Gen AI" ... as us Kiwi's say "Yeah, Nah!"

Traditional AV like Norton, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro seems to find a lot of malware, cylance did not detect.

You'd think a "Next-Gen AI", would out perform traditional AV products on signatures as well as future threats as Vulcan said it does.

18. Post
    You don't seem to understand NGAV vs traditional virus scanning. NGAV typically looks only at executing of tasks, so if you download malware then it will simply not detect it until you try to open that file.

NGAV is looking at behaviours, you have to open the file to see the behaviour. The point of NGAV is it will identify unknown threats that have no signatures yet.

This is why I said a few posts back...

Haisley I'd go for cylance + enable Windows Defender for signature based scanning.
    That test is a bit meh because he doesn't document any of what he does, and clearly gets kickbacks from some vendors.

19. Post
    Actually his python script executes all the malware so all the 'behaviours' should have been detected (especially if they are old malware).

So I'd still say "nah".
    Last edited by KiwiTT; 18th January 2020 at 4:33 pm.

20. Post
    Did he run the same script with nortons or malwarebytes?

21. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Did he run the same script with nortons or malwarebytes?
    No. He ran those to detect all the malware that the NGAV did not detect.

I doubt he is paid and he does not seem to be promoting any of the 3 products he used after the AV test, but only to point out what it did not find. Also there were tonnes of stuff added to the startup and still in memory (i.e. executed). He even put down Norton, while it was detecting the malware too!

So yeah, NGAV maybe OK for the really new stuff, but like you say, you need other stuff as well, which kind of defeats the purpose of it, wouldn't you say.

NOTE: I do believe he runs the same script when he tests the other AV on their own
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EXpwoP9Swk13qD

22. Post
    All AV can be defeated, it is at most an inconvenience for a skilled attacker. Best case scenario is that it slows the attack down enough so that your blue team can notice it and respond

23. Post
    Best defence is caution.

24. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Best defence is caution.
    The best defense is not letting the malware execute and run in the first place by using a anti executable problem and white listing only the things that are allowed to run. configure windows Applocker or use something more user friendly like VoodooShield.

If you have a new file that you want to run that your not sure about upload it to virus total to see if its clean and then run it in a VM or in Sandboxie.

25. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    The best defense is not letting the malware execute and run in the first place by using a anti executable problem and white listing only the things that are allowed to run.
    The human brain is great at stopping that