Anthem - MMO-ARPG Shooter by BioWare Edmonton

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    The game has already dropped out the top #10 on twitch hard. With just under 20k viewers.
    Says who? Twitch streams last night it was easily in the top 10.

A lot of the streamers who have been playing it since launch are currently offline.

Yesterday was a holiday in the USA people were streaming it all day long.

2. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Ah the classic "Let release a revew before the Day One patch arrives" crowd. Jesus wept.
    What are they supposed to do? If they wait for launch day they're basically a week too late and it's old news. If people can buy the game and get in to play, which they can, that is launch, no matter how EA try and spin it. This is a symptom of EA's staggered launch nonsense and it's no-one's fault but theirs.

3. Post
    Is the mouse stuff actually fixed on pc now? In the open beta it had awful deceleration if you flicked ""fast"" they said it was a known bug that would be fixed next patch but I see the "day 1(7)" patch notes listed something about further improvements. I'm tempted to have a punt at the origin trial but super cbf with mouse molesting.

4. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Says who?
    Um twitch? I dont see the viewership and numbers spiking much in 2 days. I think everyone got burnt out on early access.

5. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Is the mouse stuff actually fixed on pc now? In the open beta it had awful deceleration if you flicked ""fast"" they said it was a known bug that would be fixed next patch but I see the "day 1(7)" patch notes listed something about further improvements. I'm tempted to have a punt at the origin trial but super cbf with mouse molesting.
    Dunno ain't tried it since the demo. I'll try and remember to have a go tonight.

6. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    The mouse movement has gotten better in the demo i could not navigate under water it was super hard. Now its alot better without changing any of the settings. Plus its a lil bit more optomised on pc i get between 60-90 fps with a 1080ti it goes down to 40 when you have more then one storm on your team.

7. Post
    Taiveraad wrote:
    What are they supposed to do? If they wait for launch day they're basically a week too late and it's old news. If people can buy the game and get in to play, which they can, that is launch, no matter how EA try and spin it. This is a symptom of EA's staggered launch nonsense and it's no-one's fault but theirs.
    The major streamers who have been playing early access from the weekend have been smart enough to remind people there is still a big patch due out to fix a number of issues across all platforms.

It wouldn't take much effort to wait for the patch to go back and look at assumptions made before publishing a review on a list of known issues.

One day late isn't going to kill sales.

8. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Um twitch? I dont see the viewership and numbers spiking much in 2 days. I think everyone got burnt out on early access.

Going by the metrics used on these forums, Metro Exodus must suck nuts then.

Oh wait, critics think it's great https://opencritic.com/game/6847/metro-exodus

9. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Going by the metrics used on these forums, Metro Exodus must suck nuts then.

Oh wait, critics think it's great https://opencritic.com/game/6847/metro-exodus
    I never said I think Anthem sucks I was simply pointing out that the player count and interest in the game seems to be fading and the game is 2 days away from launch.

10. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    The major streamers who have been playing early access from the weekend have been smart enough to remind people there is still a big patch due out to fix a number of issues across all platforms.

It wouldn't take much effort to wait for the patch to go back and look at assumptions made before publishing a review on a list of known issues.

One day late isn't going to kill sales.
    Where did you get one day from? If reviewers wait for the day 1 patch they will be publishing their review at least 7 days after the game has become available. 7 days after people can already see the game on Twitch, they can already see impressions from YouTubers who have reached level 30 and started grinding for gear. Do you really not think that will affect traffic for their review?

Being the first review up can make a big difference to a site's traffic. This is why companies hand out review copies pre launch with embargo periods, so that reviewers have time to play a game and consider their review without all rushing to be first. That's obviously impractical with an online game like Anthem but at the same time it's completely unreasonable to ask review sites to wait seven days after the game is available to publish a review. By then everyone knows what they want to about a game and they don't care about review scores nearly as much. They might check out Opencritic, but why read a review when you've already watched 30 mins of YouTube gameplay?

I don't think reviewers are obliged to provide a review before the official launch but I think criticizing them for doing so when their own revenue depends on it is pretty absurd.

It's not like day 1 patches are a good thing to begin with even if they have become more of an industry norm.

At the end of the day EA chose to launch this way and this was an easily foreseeable consequence of doing so. If the product is available for purchase, which Anthem is, you cannot complain when critics purchase and criticize it in the state that it's in. That's literally their job. If you don't want it criticized in that state don't make it available for purchase in that state.

11. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    I never said I think Anthem sucks I was simply pointing out that the player count and interest in the game seems to be fading and the game is 2 days away from launch.
    I miss the days where everyone played the same game and you could get a solid period of time out of it.
    these days the multiplayer games comes so fast that every other month it's just the next fad on the list

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I miss the days where everyone played the same game and you could get a solid period of time out of it.
    these days the multiplayer games comes so fast that every other month it's just the next fad on the list
    it seems there's this desire to just binge right through content. its not just Netflix thats been affected by it. Video games as well. With these type of Games as service experiences if you dont experience it within the 1st couple of weeks you miss out.

13. Post
    Gotta give them credit, the makers of "Just Chatting" are doing a great job.

Attachment 225191

14. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Ah the classic "Let release a revew before the Day One patch arrives" crowd. Jesus wept.
    "Day One" was Feb 15th, muppet. The Origin Premier access day was the REAL release date.

Ard Righ wrote:
    Gotta give them credit, the makers of "Just Chatting" are doing a great job.

Attachment 225191
    Indeed, 13 year old boys love having camwhores on their "gaming site" which they can covertly watch without their parents having a clue about what's really going on.

15. Post
    You're effectively correct EVA but as far as BiowEA is concerned, 22nd is the official release date.

16. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    You're effectively correct EVA but as far as BiowEA is concerned, 22nd is the official release date.
    Except it clearly wasn't ready for release on the 15th & despite an imminent day one patch the damage has already been done. They'd have been better to delay it a couple of weeks. Just like Andromeda. I'll still be getting it though.

17. Post
    Got the pre-order installed on PS4, has a 1.01 patch applied to it already. So just waiting for game to go live.

18. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    "Day One" was Feb 15th, muppet. The Origin Premier access day was the REAL release date.
    Day One is the official release date. I know you are a bit thick, but they don't call it "early" access because they get access on Day One.

You can slice it how you like, the devs have always been clear the release date for the game and the first patch going live with the official release date.

19. Post
    People pay money to play an unfinished game via early access. Seems retarded.

20. Post
    darryn wrote:
    People pay money to play an unfinished game via early access. Seems retarded.
    Plenty of people played Battlefield V early also. I don't see what the fuss is, some people pay for Origin access to get the trial to play the game before forking out for the full retail price.

What is it about US$15 for a good few days worth of game time before deciding if you want to buy the full thing?

Even if you paid a Origin sub for a couple of months you would still be saving money.

21. Post
    If I canít rock out to The Warehouse right now, before they close at 10pm, and buy this game off the shelf, it ainít out. End of story.

Eva

22. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Plenty of people played Battlefield V early also. I don't see what the fuss is, some people pay for Origin access to get the trial to play the game before forking out for the full retail price.

What is it about US$15 for a good few days worth of game time before deciding if you want to buy the full thing?

Even if you paid a Origin sub for a couple of months you would still be saving money.
    I think he means the game in general

He’s right in a sense

Destiny, The Division were all in early access for their first year
    Just like Anthem will be in early accces till 2020

23. Post
    This staggered release....not such a great idea when you're getting a shitload of 7/10 reviews.

Feels very fragmented, not good for community building.

My copy is coming to me tomorrow by the looks of MA billing, hopefully the Day 1 massivo patch fixes a lot and it feels good. First time I've ever bought a game where I pretty much am sure I'll be flicking it on after purchasing: hence going with the physical copy. Hoping to be mistaken and it's right up my alley....but I can't see this happening going on my trusted streamers opinions (Skillup, Datto, Fireteam crew, Mtash etc).

If this video is spot on, then ****..I'm gonna be sad Biofan IST come a couple days time away...

Last edited by IST; 21st February 2019 at 3:56 am.

24. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Day One is the official release date. I know you are a bit thick, but they don't call it "early" access because they get access on Day One.

You can slice it how you like, the devs have always been clear the release date for the game and the first patch going live with the official release date.
    The only dumb one here is the individual who can't see through AAA marketing bullshit. I.e. You.

25. Post
    IST wrote:
    This staggered release....not such a great idea when you're getting a shitload of 7/10 reviews.

Feels very fragmented, not good for community building.

My copy is coming to me tomorrow by the looks of MA billing, hopefully the Day 1 massivo patch fixes a lot and it feels good. First time I've ever bought a game where I pretty much am sure I'll be flicking it on after purchasing: hence going with the physical copy. Hoping to be mistaken and it's right up my alley....but I can't see this happening going on my trusted streamers opinions (Skillup, Datto, Fireteam crew, Mtash etc).

If this video is spot on, then ****..I'm gonna be sad Biofan IST come a couple days time away...

Destin and Mtashed? yuck lol. Skillup is the man though, love his work.

I'm personally still getting this as I really want something new to play co-op with my lady. Destiny has burned us both out and the annual pass bullshit sealed the deal.
    Last edited by Ramza; 21st February 2019 at 8:31 am. Reason: eh