Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Creation Club: Bethesda paid mods scandal

In case you weren't aware of the Creation Club for Fallout 4 and Skyrim: Special Edition, it is the return on paid mods. Don't be fooled by the wording of the Bethesda's FAQ, this is indeed paid mods. To get Creation Club content you buy it with a virtual currency, which you subsequently had bought with real world money. It's been pretty obvious that they've been working towards move even prior to Fallout 4's release when they announced the Bethesda.net platform back at E3 2015.

These are Creation Club mods will curated, in other words they'll be fully tested so they won't corrupt saves and the like. Mod makers will be contracted to make Creation Club content by Bethesda, making them 3rd party DLC.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Valve have had great success with paid mods in CS:GO, Dota 2 and TF2. I'd love to see a steady stream of larger quest mods even after Beth have moved on from producing DLC. On the hand this could mean a lot of ramification to the existing mod community. Eg You might see less community collaboration because the dividing of profit and giving credit could become an issue, especially involving people who have no experience in running businesses. Involving money changes things.

For a thorough appraisal of the situation I recommend watching this video. (Remember: x1.25/x1.5 speed up is your friend on Youtube.)

2. Post
    There is no scandal. This is not "paid mods", because its curated, because they're tested, because they're supported directly by Bethesda.
    There are a whole bunch of other reasons as well.
    Using the paid mods term is seeking to create a narrative because of the existing feelings towards that aborted attempt a couple of years ago.
    There is nothing wrong with this system, except maybe the payment methods.

Nice click bait though.

3. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    On the hand this could mean a lot of ramification to the existing mod community. Eg You might see less community collaboration because the dividing of profit and giving credit could become an issue, especially involving people who have no experience in running businesses. Involving money changes things.
    I think that's a bit paranoid. The odd scuffle will probably break out, but I doubt any of this will disrupt the community in any meaningful way - especially once all the kinks are ironed out of whatever system Bethesda puts in place.

I could be wrong, but I can't see Bethesda working with anyone but the most organised and professional mod groups, and besides, there will be detailed contracts between all parties. Money might corrupt some, but I doubt said corruption will upend the mod scene.

Most modders will just continue making free mods that transform mounts into My Little Ponies.

EvaUnit02 wrote:
    For a thorough appraisal of the situation I recommend watching this video. (Remember: x1.25/x1.5 speed up is your friend on Youtube.)
    An easier way to save yourself time: if a YouTube video's preview pic has reaction faces and giant bright text all over it, it's probably garbage and you don't need to watch it

4. Post
    So are people still allowed to release free mods?

5. Post
    Yes, and current mods cannot be re-released and repackaged.
    All content in the Creation Club must be new.

6. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    An easier way to save yourself time: if a YouTube video's preview pic has reaction faces and giant bright text all over it, it's probably garbage and you don't need to watch it
    Hehe yea those are instant skip for me

7. Post
    I actually see this as a good addition to the modding community, incentivises good work and promotes extended life of the best games.

win/win.

Then again, I'm a shill sometimes

8. Post
    One negative I can think of is someone who was going to release a mod for free could instead release it as a paid mod. In this case free players will lose out on access to this mod. I'm sure bonus money will attract modders.

I will never pay for mods.

9. Post
    spfun wrote:
    One negative I can think of is someone who was going to release a mod for free could instead release it as a paid mod. In this case free players will lose out on access to this mod. I'm sure bonus money will attract modders.

I will never pay for mods.
    I consider this a positive. Mod creation takes time, and good mods take time + skill. If people can be paid for their time and talent, then thats fine by me.
    I am sure there will plenty of free mods out there, this however may make bigger and more complex mods more common as getting paid to produce them is an incentive.
    I see no real downside to this. I mean mods are non-compulsory additions after all. It's not like anyone misses out on game content.

I will happily pay for the right mods.

10. Post
    If necessary quality of life stuff for future Beth games like unofficial patches and KB+M oriented GUI redesigns end up being premium DLC that I'll be done with BGS.

11. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    If necessary quality of life stuff for future Beth games like unofficial patches and KB+M oriented GUI redesigns end up being premium DLC that I'll be done with BGS.
    I'm sure they will miss you too.

12. Post
    I would never pay for mods in games such as TFC, CS:GO, Skyrim.. You want to add this bumble bee? $5..
    No real complaints if the mod is already released, bought up & packaged for retail (CS, DoD, TFC) but still free to download or if the content is worth while, like a total conversion or added SP/MP content that is priced reasonably.

Make downloading paid skins popular soon games like Forza, CoD will all make you pay real money for custom designs built in-game by other users while the Publishers take a cut of the profit. CoD might already do this? I have no idea but the in-game currency bs is already here on full retail titles & only getting worse.

13. Post
    Content of scale requires funding of scale.

If YouTube is permanently ads-free and YouTubers rely entirely on donation-based systems like Patreon, the platform would never be able to attract some of the bigger players in the entertainment industry.

Paid mods is definitely worth a try at least. As mentioned earlier there is the possibility of professional modding groups. In addition to that, if this truly kicks off well, it can eventually attract full-fledged studios who may do some mods as side-jobs or while they are between developments. It also has the potential to become a platform to kickstart less-known developers into the spotlight through quality content creation, without having to finding their pay cheque elsewhere.

14. Post
    ^ that happens all the time even without paid mods
    modders will also get peanuts if beth and steam take all the money. that was the plan when paid mods were initially announced
    i doubt serious studios would get involved
    anyway doesn't really matter. no amount of mods will fix skyrim or fallout 4

15. Post

16. Post
    If anyone is scared off by the 40 min length of the above video, the first 11 mins makes all the points needed for this thread

17. Post
    i'm sacred off because it's totalbiscuit

18. Post
    I'm not currently active in the Bethesda community (I return every few years whenever a new Elder Scrolls appears) but can imagine returning when ES6 appears, and not sure how I feel about this.
    The quality I would expect would have to be very, *very* high, on par with or surpassing that of official DLC.

Creation Club is a collection of all-new content for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons.
    I don't have a problem with that, so long as it is what it sounds like, and the endeavour is of limited scope.

19. Post
    So Creation Club launched and the "DLC" on it ATM are reportedly absolute trash. *golf clap*

20. Post
    They had the nerve to include the "horse Armor" mod. like they're aware of their shitty practices and dgaf

21. Post
    What a scandal!!111

22. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    What a scandal!!111
    If they phase out mod support altogether in future games we'll see how sarcastic you'll be. Go, go Zenimax Media!

23. Post
    I'll be so mad!

24. Post
    LMAO, it's literally on-disk DLC! ALL of the Creation Club content is installed on your HDD, you just need the ESP files to access them. They're just asking for people to pirate this shit.

Mod authors confirmed to Zaric (see 2nd video) that it's a micro-transaction store. You aren't going to see any gameplay changing stuff or mega-mods, just pieces of armour, equipment, reskins, etc.

25. Post
    the horse has already bolted on all this cash grab crap like micro-transactions and withholding parts of the original release as as "day one DLC" etc. it doesn't matter what publishes do now, or how much negative press the get for it because everyone is doing it. if you vote with your feet you wont be left with many games to play.