Page 4 of 4 First 1234

1. Post
    Well that monohull racing is pretty boring compared to this. At least these things are flying around at great speed with the added bonus of the potential for a major catastrophe. And isn't that why people watch motorsport, for the crashes? Can't get excited about Kimi Raikonnen taking hairpin bend number 7 on an extremely good line, cutting 0.7 seconds off the track record.

2. Post
    I hate it when I agree with Tormenta.

3. Post
    Mountain Slayer made a good point this morning; with races this short and fast, one mistake and it's over. Maybe they could keep the format but make the races a bit longer?

4. Post
    They could just do what the Volvo Ocean Race are doing for 2019, and go with a foil-assisted monohull.

5. Post
    they should allow boarding actions and old fashioned manual aim cannons!

6. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    they should allow boarding actions and old fashioned manual aim cannons!
    They should change them to rowing galleys -with our stock of rowers we would cream it...

7. Post
    Haha I like this, Vikings style

8. Post
    I_ate_a_boob wrote:
    Congratulations to the Royal NZ Yacht Squadron.

Hopefully we'll see an entry from another NZ yachting club next time around. Just curious to see how the people of NZ will compute their loyalties when presented with such a scenario.
    Considering the United States, a country with 100x the population and 100x the GDP of NZ only had one Yachting Club represent them in this cup that's just been, I don't think this is something even worth contemplating as being even a remote possibility.

In fact, it's almost as if the club is representative of the country it's from, and the club itself is a formality for entrance into the competition.

You may have eaten a boob once, but your position on this subject eats a whole big bag of dicks.

9. Post
    bradc wrote:
    You may have eaten a boob once, but your position on this subject eats a whole big bag of dicks.
    Lol!

10. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Considering the United States, a country with 100x the population and 100x the GDP of NZ only had one Yachting Club represent them in this cup that's just been, I don't think this is something even worth contemplating as being even a remote possibility.
    This has actually happened. There were two NZ challengers 1995.

11. Post
    I_ate_a_boob wrote:
    Two Australian ones also (one of them sunk)

12. Post
    I_ate_a_boob wrote:
    How many defenders where there and what was their commonality?

13. Post
    bradc wrote:
    How many defenders where there and what was their commonality?
    3 defender syndicates with 4 boats. All American.

14. Post
    Why by George, you're right. In fact, if we look at every America's Cup series going back around a century and a half, it would appear that the cup is always contested at an international level.

So even assuming there were a defenders series, I'm pretty sure the whole country would be behind whichever one actually contested for the cup itself.