Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

1. Post
    Depends how much time you're going to spend in Japan - If you're in a rush then definitely pass is the way to go.

If you're going to spend a bit of time in each place (which I would recommend) and have a bit of time to spend and don't mind the longer trip, local trains are pretty cheap.

iirc the JR pass has a max of around 21 concurrent days?

- - - Updated - - -

Neongreen wrote:
    I was gonna mention Nomihodai but thought it might get a bit too complicated haha. All you can drink indeed!
    Complicated how?

also if you want you can grab a couple of 9% strongs for around 250 yen

The food from convenience stores is suprisingly pretty good for the price if you don't wanna eat expensive every day (Lawsons fried chickens da bes)

2. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Also the rail pass is a must, real handy for seeing a lot of the country. I saw more in 10 days as I did in a year living in Tokyo.

Also the curry katsu places with the vending machines you order at are the business.
    bradc wrote:
    Yeah you have to be needing to travel around with it to make it pay for itself. Was staying in Shinjuku which is fairly central for JR Metro lines.
    You lived in Tokyo for a year? What were you doing?

I'd say definitely yes on the rail pass if you plan to cover a lot of ground and you want to do it on the good train. There's a point where if you aren't moving around a lot it stops being worth it and you can just get the cheaper normal JR trains instead of the Shinkansen. JR Pass is like 50-100$ a day whether you use it or not so you have to really spam it to get value.

3. Post
    I was working in an amusement park, and learning Japanese. I met my Mrs there (she's a Kiwi), she was teaching English.

4. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I was working in an amusement park, and learning Japanese. I met my Mrs there (she's a Kiwi), she was teaching English.
    Did you make enough for Tokyo to not be too expensive? I imagine you need to shell out a fair bit of dough to live somewhere decent.

5. Post
    I've only really been to SEA and Europe outside of Australasia but I quite liked Budapest and Lisbon. I haven't really spent a good deal of time (+1 week) in these cities though.

6. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Did you make enough for Tokyo to not be too expensive? I imagine you need to shell out a fair bit of dough to live somewhere decent.
    I was staying in a long term hostel so yeah. Having just been back and talking to locals it sounds like your standard of living there is about the same or a bit better than Auckland, relative to incomes.

7. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I was staying in a long term hostel so yeah. Having just been back and talking to locals it sounds like your standard of living there is about the same or a bit better than Auckland, relative to incomes.
    Yeah but if you're living somewhere cool like Tokyo and only for a year you'd be doing more expensive stuff than if you were sitting around permanently in Auckland.

Of the people I knew that lived for a year or two in London, the ones that made good money thought it was awesome and the ones that didn't thought it was shit. Living central and travelling every couple of weeks vs living in the burbs or a rats nest and not being able to afford to go anywhere.

8. Post
    The good thing about Tokyo is travel is cheap and it's not mega expensive to have a night out.

9. Post
    Is Gas Panic still about?

10. Post
    I think Buenos Aires one of the greatest place in the world!

11. Post
    I want to go to Japan. I heard that Japanese are very nice people.

12. Post
    Sue17 wrote:
    I want to go to Japan. I heard that Japanese are very nice people.
    They mind their own business, primarily.

I just saw this video which I thought was quite cool. I'd always watched the conductors/drivers doing all these exaggerated hand signals and while I assumed it was just confirming the signals it was nice to have more of an explanation.

More in depth explanation of the origins: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.WkIGHEqWaUk