Page 9 of 9 First ... 6789

1. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    My point is that we played with more urgency and that resulted in the send off. But I can see your point too.

I thought we were very poor in the first half; whether that was nerves, or if we were just leggy from playing 3 away games in a short amount of time I'm not sure. We can definitely play better.

Sheridan faded towards the end of the 2nd half, which says to me that his fitness is perhaps not quite there yet. Agree that he looks very good; surprising amount of pace for a big guy too.

I'd like to see Kopa at LCB, with Doyle at LWB to give Cacace a break v Victory. We seem to pass better through the lines with Kopa there.
    True, we did play with good urgency leading up to our 1st goal, no doubt the coach gave them a bloody good shake up at halftime... we attacked with even more confidence after we slotted that first penalty into the back of the net & helped knowing that they were playing against 10 men as well... when we got ahead 3-2 thought we sat on that lead too much allowing them to attack our goal a lot, they almost got a draw from the game.

Yeah, Sheridan lacks some match fitness, would still start him in the next one though which will get him up to match fitness quicker, if he starts to tire later in the match we can always replace him, it's up to the coach to make the right call when to change a player... was also very surprised how fast Sheridan is, you don't expect that from a bloke that tall with a really lean build that's basically all arms & legs

Reckon we're at our best when we don't stuff around at the back, just move the ball as quickly as possible to players in space, then that transfers through the whole team making us play well as a unit.
    Last edited by signman; 15th January 2019 at 9:39 am.

2. Post
    Nichols just got released .Rudan is ruthless.

3. Post
    It's unfortunate for the bloke, if a coach wants to select the best squad he can though has to be a bit ruthless... really like how hard Rudan pushes them at training, their fitness could make a real difference at the business end of the comp.

4. Post
    Yeah, I felt like Williams and Nichols were both gambles - Williams worked out, Nichols didn't. It's interesting as Nichols was one of only a few players currently signed for next season (Singh, Cacace are signed also I believe)

5. Post
    Williams has definitely made the most of his chances, scoring some top goals & at important times in the game as well.

Name:  B3..jpg
Views: 69
Size:  7.8 KB
    PHOENIX v MELB VIC {Melb}
    Sun-20th Jan - 7pm

6. Post
    Hopefully going to get along to this game

7. Post
    Going too, sitting mostly with MV supporting friends/family.

Fire up.

It seems like Nick Ansell is still out for the Vuc, so my assumption is that 1.69m Broxham will be playing CB again. We need to start Sheridan against him imo. Harsh on Williams but..

8. Post
    A shame we couldn't get the W but it was a great game to be at. MV supporters have a lot of respect for us.

9. Post
    We were outstanding for most of the first half, after we went 3-1 up though made the mistake of trying to protect that lead, stood off them in defence instead of coming forward to close down their space so they ended up running all over us, thankfully for the poor finishing in this comp we were able to come away with a draw, with the heap of opportunities they had in the 2nd half they should've at least won by a couple of goals.

10. Post
    signman wrote:
    We were outstanding for most of the first half, after we went 3-1 up though made the mistake of trying to protect that lead, stood off them in defence instead of coming forward to close down their space so they ended up running all over us, thankfully for the poor finishing in this comp we were able to come away with a draw, with the heap of opportunities they had in the 2nd half they should've at least won by a couple of goals.
    Do you think it would have turned out differently if we had've taken off Singh at half time and put on a defensive minded mid fielder?

11. Post
    signman wrote:
    Kind of agree, but we also had a bunch of chances that we didn't finish off in the 2nd half - I remember at least 3 breakaways by Williams which we should've done better with.

I thought we sat deep about 20 minutes too early - there was no way we were going to be able to defend Kosta and co for 45 mins.

I also thought that after they hacked Williams off the park, we lost a bit of our counter attacking spark. Williams was on fire.

I would've probably taken a point before the game. If we manage to beat Sydney and City at home, it could turn out to be a really good draw.

That first half was the maybe the best I've seen us play in Melbourne.

12. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Do you think it would have turned out differently if we had've taken off Singh at half time and put on a defensive minded mid fielder?
    Reckon it was about our whole defence not applying good pressure on them, we just gave their strikers too much space to run free.

13. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    Kind of agree, but we also had a bunch of chances that we didn't finish off in the 2nd half - I remember at least 3 breakaways by Williams which we should've done better with.

I thought we sat deep about 20 minutes too early - there was no way we were going to be able to defend Kosta and co for 45 mins.

I also thought that after they hacked Williams off the park, we lost a bit of our counter attacking spark. Williams was on fire.

I would've probably taken a point before the game. If we manage to beat Sydney and City at home, it could turn out to be a really good draw.

That first half was the maybe the best I've seen us play in Melbourne.
    True, we missed a fair few chances as well, but in the 2nd half they really bombarded our goal, so really they should've won the match.

The big worry for me when we zone mark deep is we have too many slow players at the back, it's not just Kosta that's going to take advantage of their lack of pace, all the teams do, which is why I prefer us to mark a man tightly deep in our half, just close down their space which also gives us a good chance to win the ball back.

Williams is in top form, the bloke tends to score a goal a game at the moment.

Yeah, coming away with a point in a away game is a decent result, but after us been 3-1 up find a draw was pretty disappointing.

Was a top performance by us in the first half, we didn't stuff around at the back, moved the ball straightaway & looked very good doing it, if we could consistently play like that we would win the comp.

Rufer had a top game, best I've seen him play, Fenton's crosses into the box are normally rubbish, but in this game he got a lot of accurate crosses into their danger area.

14. Post
    Reminder that there is another game on tonight v Sydney at 730 NZ time

15. Post
    Sydney deserved the W last night.

VAR is trash too.

16. Post
    Yeah, how was that not a hand ball lol.

Keen to catch a game together sometime @Soui? All my mates I use to go with have moved from Welly.

17. Post
    With that draw against Melb Vic away needed to go for the win at home against Sydney, thought it was a very weird call by Rudan not to start Singh & Williams, wanted our best 11 out there, also looking at our formation just before the match we went into the game defensive minded with 3 in the middle & 4 at the back, part of the reason why we played so well in the 1st half against Melb Vic was because we had 4 in midfield {that's where the game is controlled from} & 3 at the back.

Our strikers have a bad habit of trying to pass the ball too much inside the oppositon box or on the edge of the box so end up turning over a heap of ball, just pull the trigger, have a shot at goal ffs !

Durante again highlighted how useless he is, many a time in that Sydney match he was basically standing still with the ball at his feet with 10 to 15 metres of open space in front of him looking around, then he finally decides to pass across field, that just makes it far too easy for the other side to drift across & smother us... when you have a heap of space in front of you have to show real urgency moving up field, then you have a few of options, beat the player or at least get close to him to draw him & lay the ball off to the flanks or through ball to a player, making the whole team move forward as one.

18. Post
    What was Durante upto there? Surely we need our captain against the top team in the league next week.

Kurto was amazing again tonight. The game could've ended very differently if it wasn't for his efforts.

19. Post
    Galent wrote:
    What was Durante upto there? Surely we need our captain against the top team in the league next week.

Kurto was amazing again tonight. The game could've ended very differently if it wasn't for his efforts.
    Glad Durante isn't playing next week, just hinders us, he's too slow & doesn't show enough urgency, expecting us to go better without him at the back.

Excellent goal by Williams, basically after that though we sat back for long periods looking to defend that lead, worse thing can do, needed to keep playing positively, because we sat back they were allowed to create a lot of chances & wasn't helped by so much poor marking deep in our half & as you say they probably would've won if Kurto hadn't been so outstanding in goal, from what I've seen he looks to be the best keeper in the comp.

Have watched Sheridan in a few games now, very impressed with the bloke, reckon he's much better suited to the midfield than a striker though, has all the attributes of a very good playmaker, doesn't panic on the ball, passes at the right times, doesn't give good possession away, has good pace & ball skills, also very good at reading situations to put through balls to the strikers, silly leaving a good player like him on the bench.

20. Post
    Name:  B6..jpg
Views: 29
Size:  8.7 KB
    PHOENIX v PERTH {Perth}
    Sun 3rd Feb - 12am

Odds : Perth $1.72 - Phoenix $4.50 - Draw $3.50
    https://www.tab.co.nz/sports/event/3...ington-phoenix

21. Post
    Only saw highlights of the 3 zip loss, once again it was our slack marking that let us down in & around our box, saw a piece in the paper where apparently Rudan is going to buy in 2 or 3 defenders, certainly hope so, our defence always seems to be an ongoing weakness.

Heard a couple of other players missed the Perth game too, Durante & Taylor weren't much of a loss, they're probably the two slowest defenders we have, but would've missed Mandi in the midfield.

22. Post
    Hope our focus & pressure is much better in defence, vital part of the game so you can stay very competitive in matches.

Name:  B2..jpg
Views: 15
Size:  5.9 KB
    PHOENIX v NEWCASTLE {Newcastle}
    Thu 7th Feb - 9.50pm
    https://www.wellingtonphoenix.com/ne...d-out-round-18

Odds : Newcastle $1.83 - Phoenix $4.00 - Draw $3.75
    https://www.tab.co.nz/sports/event/3...ington-phoenix