1. Thumbs up

Aotearoa Arcades

Thought I would make a thread for people that are still into arcades. No matter how large or small I will place them in the OP. Location and brief description of the what is there would also help. Nothing was better then heading into Auckland on a Sunday grabbing some Dragon Boat and heading to Yifans

Auckland City

Time Zone Queen St (Under Burger King)
    Time Zone Event Cinemas.
    Down Stairs Under Event Cinemas Food Hall (Where old bookstore was)

Manukau
    Event Cinemas

Papakura
    3 Bees
    Two Jays Takeaways

Christchurch
    Timezone Riccarton
    Timezone Airport
    Timezone Hornby

Will update units once I have specifics.
    Last edited by jords; 10th August 2017 at 3:50 pm.

2. Post
    Christchurch

Dog House
    Wizards

3. Post
    ^ Neither of those have existed for a long time.

All we have now are Timezone's in Riccarton, at the Airport and Hornby

4. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    ^ Neither of those have existed for a long time.

I used to work at Timezone Colombo and then Moorhouse, RIP.

5. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Christchurch

Dog House
    Wizards
    Gah the Dog House was such a seedy hole, at least you could get a good gaming session on at wizards with out having to deal with streetkids bugging/staunching you for money all the time. The place for a good amount of time was owned by a Scientology splinter group(Zenith applied philosophy) that property developer David Henderson belonged to, thank god that place doesn't exist anymore.

6. Post
    Turangi - Timezone in Burger King

7. Post
    God that's depressing reading

8. Post
    Smith and Wong Takeaway in Massey has some arcade machines, including SF2.
    https://www.zomato.com/auckland/smit...akeaway-massey

9. Post
    jords wrote:
    God that's depressing reading
    That site mostly covers music games - there are probably many more arcade machines that people just did not bother to mention.

10. Post
    Anyone remember Battletech in Hamilton from around 1990?

****ing good times, giz your seconds on Ryu G, giz your creepers and Starter hat G

11. Post
    CowwieNZ wrote:
    The place for a good amount of time was owned by a Scientology splinter group(Zenith applied philosophy) that property developer David Henderson belonged to, thank god that place doesn't exist anymore.
    Oh wow, interesting tidbit. I just remember the Dog House guy had a shotgun up behind the counter lol. Yeah Wizards $5 nights were awesome, remember clocking the Terminator 2 game.

12. Post
    I remember the little arcade across the road from United video in Papakura. My brother and I turned up one day to find all games were on free play. He spent hours clocking Street Fighter 2 Championship (Rainbow) Edition with Zangief.

13. Post
    ^ I played there also

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

14. Post
    ludez wrote:
    ^ I played there also

15. Post
    jords wrote:
    I remember the little arcade across the road from United video in Papakura. My brother and I turned up one day to find all games were on free play. He spent hours clocking Street Fighter 2 Championship (Rainbow) Edition with Zangief.
    Rainbow ed - pretty sure that was that the one where you could jump + lariat indefinitely up through the screen, then finally grab / spinning piledriver before the timer ran out and it would get the machine stuck in an infinite loop of piledriving down through the floor.

I still remember watching the big kids playing Street Fighter 1 when it first came out. I dont think I ever played it, Chelnov was my jam. A few years later walking all the way across glenfield / sunnynook with like $2 (or whatever the going rate was) for a couple of turns on Mortal Kombat 1.

Then my mate got an Amiga with SF2, MK etc and that changed everything. Barely touched arcades after that.

16. Post
    Damn brings back memories of all the times I wagged school to spend the day at Stages or Yifans back in the day

17. Post
    Other good place was Laser Tag in Takanini which had the first arcade machine for MKII. Tried to main Jade to no avail.

18. Post
    Im buying up cabinets slowly, but **** they are getting expensive.

19. Post
    IST wrote:
    Anyone remember Battletech in Hamilton from around 1990?

****ing good times, giz your seconds on Ryu G, giz your creepers and Starter hat G
    Yup I remember Battletech. It used to be up above a second hand type shop from memory. Down stairs eventually got turned into a gay night club from memory. I also used to spend a lot of time at greasy Joe's aka Carltons which was in Frankton below the bridge.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

20. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Oh wow, interesting tidbit. I just remember the Dog House guy had a shotgun up behind the counter lol. Yeah Wizards $5 nights were awesome, remember clocking the Terminator 2 game.
    They were great, I just sat on Killer Instinct for hours as it was usually $1 compared to SF2 which was only 40c.