1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    ugh.. No... no no no no.

this is wrong, Esports should not go this way. It is a insult to all the Olympians

3. Post
    I really don't think this ongoing commitment to try wedge gaming into existing traditional sports platforms is a great idea. It's only growing in popularity, gaming should just have its own Olympics equivalent.

4. Post
    nope.gif

5. Post
    I'd like to see it at the Olympics because of the massive stage, and money it would have thrown at it but also agree that it needs to remain and develop as its own thing.

The IOC is a joke.

6. Post
    Oh dear no.

7. Post
    That's just going to piss people off.

8. Post
    I'm all for esport's becoming big. But not to be put in with actual athletes, completely different things

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

9. Post
    Since things like chess are not an Olympic sport, I don't think this has a chance.

Leave the Olympics for physical sports. Esports are not just in the same spirit of the event.

But I see nothing wrong with Esports in general, and I do consider them athletes. I dislike the notion that just because it isn't physical means they aren't "actual athletes".

Different playing fields. They all train, they all require skill and time investment. No need to get petty about it just because one is physical and one is mental. Even in that, Esports require quick reflexes, not just mental acuity.

10. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    Since things like chess are not an Olympic sport, I don't think this has a chance.

Leave the Olympics for physical sports. Esports are not just in the same spirit of the event.

But I see nothing wrong with Esports in general, and I do consider them athletes. I dislike the notion that just because it isn't physical means they aren't "actual athletes".

Different playing fields. They all train, they all require skill and time investment. No need to get petty about it just because one is physical and one is mental. Even in that, Esports require quick reflexes, not just mental acuity.
    Why not just call them gamers (or something similar)? Why the need to call them athletes?

11. Post
    I've never liked the term Esports and don't think gaming should be at the Olympics.

12. Post
    DW wrote:
    Why not just call them gamers (or something similar)? Why the need to call them athletes?
    Because gamer is too generic. I'm a gamer. I'm nowhere near on the level of the people we're talking about.

The term "athlete" also has connotations of professionalism, achievement, dedication, training, etc. When I was an athlete myself those things applied to me.

I think those things are important to keep in mind and important to strive for for Esports.

Blue Vein CHEESE: What don't you like about the term?

13. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    Because gamer is too generic. I'm a gamer. I'm nowhere near on the level of the people we're talking about.

The term "athlete" also has connotations of professionalism, achievement, dedication, training, etc. When I was an athlete myself those things applied to me.

I think those things are important to keep in mind and important to strive for for Esports.

Blue Vein CHEESE: What don't you like about the term?
    Gamer is too generic? It means people that play games. If you play competitively, you can be a competitive gamer, If you're a professional, then you can be called a professional gamer. The term athlete by itself doesn't tell you what kind of athlete they are either.

I'm dedicated to my job, I train to upskill, I'm professional, I achieve things in my job, and I compete against other companies. But while I'm sitting at my desk writing computer software, I'm not an athlete.

14. Post
    DW wrote:
    Gamer is too generic? It means people that play games. If you play competitively, you can be a competitive gamer, If you're a professional, then you can be called a professional gamer. The term athlete by itself doesn't tell you what kind of athlete they are either.

I'm dedicated to my job, I train to upskill, I'm professional, I achieve things in my job, and I compete against other companies. But while I'm sitting at my desk writing computer software, I'm not an athlete.
    I agree with DW. I played rugby so I'm a rugby player, Kieran Read is also a rugby player. He just happens to be a professional rugby player.

15. Post
    Rugby is a game. You're a gamer.

16. Post
    seanhinton wrote:
    Rugby is a game. You're a gamer.
    I'm sure nearly everybody has played I spy at least once in their lives. Perhaps we're all just gamer athletes.

17. Post
    I don't watch the olympics.

Would be keen to see an eOlympics though.

18. Post
    not sure how i feel about this... on the one hand, I cant think of anything more idiotic, disgusting or disrespectful to the olympic ideal... but on the other hand, the olympic commity have turned the olympics into a farce anyway, valuing sponsorship sponsorship SPONSORSHIP SPONSORSHIP MONEY MONEY MONEY over focusing on sporting excellence, so i believe theres nothing inherently sacred about the olympics that those who are running it, havent already destroyed.

I guess, in the end, i just dont give a crap. The french are one of the scummiest nations on the earth full of horrible pathetic untrustworthy people with no morals, so its hardly surprisingly theyd want to do something like this... but then its the olympics so who cares what happens to it.
    Last edited by chiv; 11th August 2017 at 8:18 pm. Reason: adding in more french hatred.

19. Post
    What part of the Olympic ideal would it disrespect?

20. Post

Rainbow 🌈 Warrior

chiv wrote:
    not sure how i feel about this... on the one hand, I cant think of anything more idiotic, disgusting or disrespectful to the olympic ideal... but on the other hand, the olympic commity have turned the olympics into a farce anyway, valuing sponsorship sponsorship SPONSORSHIP SPONSORSHIP MONEY MONEY MONEY over focusing on sporting excellence, so i believe theres nothing inherently sacred about the olympics that those who are running it, havent already destroyed.

I guess, in the end, i just dont give a crap. The french are one of the scummiest nations on the earth full of horrible pathetic untrustworthy people with no morals, so its hardly surprisingly theyd want to do something like this... but then its the olympics so who cares what happens to it.
    Remember the Rainbow Warrior!!! Imagine that happening in this day and age of modern terrorism, would be an act of war.

21. Post
    DW wrote:

Oh. Sorry. I keep forgetting. You're just here to be pedantic while ignoring the intent of the discussion.

For you, the word connotation doesn't mean anything beyond word association.

The word gamer is too generic. It is literally "one who plays games". There are many different games out there. Not all of them digital. A board gamer, for instance, is still a gamer. That's got nothing to do with Esports, though.

You're right, the term athlete doesn't tell you the kind of athlete. But it does have other connotations. I'm sorry I assumed you would know them. Another connotation I didn't mention before was sports. So unless you're trying to get "writing computer software" into Esports (or regular sports for that matter) your comments here are simply useless pedantry used to argue for the sake of arguing.

MockStar: Sure. You're a rugby player. So is Kieran Read? I don't know. I don't follow rugby, but I assume you know what you're talking about and he is, indeed, a professional rugby player. Great.

Do you still play rugby? I assume Kieran Read still plays. That makes him an athlete.

You're trying to use the word "player" now too. The problem is that it, too, is just as generic as "gamer".

Athlete is not as generic. And DW himself said, writing computer software doesn't make him an athlete.

If you don't like it alone for Esports, throw another word in or something to clarify? Esports athlete? E-athlete?

I just don't see gamer as the right noun. It is too generic, and has connotations of hobbyists, casual and such.

I'm a gamer. Someone doing Esports is more than that.

22. Post
    Same dif as skeet shooting IMO, why not?

Requires training, elite skill and is followed by millions and will no-doubt open the Olympic games up to some who poo-poo all sports in general.

win/win.

23. Post
    Then why not also add other non-athletic activities like chess, darts, poker etc?

24. Post
    N04h wrote:
    Then why not also add other non-athletic activities like chess, darts, poker etc?
    There is shooting - but maybe officials weren't keen to reject gun-toting Olympiads.