1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    otoh punching someone unconscious is acceptable as is poking him with a metal foil but not virtual explosions eh?

3. Exclamation
    Bloody wrote:
    otoh punching someone unconscious is acceptable as is poking him with a metal foil but not virtual explosions eh?
    Fencing is about as physically violent as video games. Boxing on the other hand.

4. Post
    Wait what the heck games are they even going to play then? Just sports and racing games? RTS, Shooters, fighters and Moba's are really the only fun things to watch o-o

5. Post
    that's that then. The only games anyone wanted to watch at the olympics have just been ruled out. Hope they enjoy shrinking ratings.

6. Post
    What a ridiculous notion that eSports be included in the Olympics or ANY similar event.
    What next? Chess? Connect Four?
    Stupid.

7. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    What a ridiculous notion that eSports be included in the Olympics or ANY similar event.
    Stupid.
    Couldn't agree more

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

8. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Stupid.
    Can you imagine turning on the Oympics and watching someone point and click? Absurd really.

Spoiler:

9. Post
    seanhinton wrote:
    Can you imagine turning on the Oympics and watching someone point and click? Absurd really.
    What a pathetic argument. Top marksmen have a tremendous amount of mental and physical prowess. The need to block out environmental distraction, lower their heart-rate to a crawl, control breathing, nerves, allow for environmental factors like wind, humidity, gravity as well as mechanical variables. In the pentathlon they need to do that after cross-country skiing a gajillion kms (or whatever).

If you'd posted a pic of clay pigeon shooting - then you may have a point. That's more a case of point and click. But your point would still be short-sighted.

10. Post
    Ionno, esports require continuous concentration and insane reflexes for up to and over an hour with no brakes, on top of team play, tactics, strategy etc.

As a matter of fact many translate well into team ball sports.

Name one sport where your body becomes second rate by age of 24-25, it paints a very good picture of the requirements.

In saying that, I see no point mixing esports with sports, just have separate events altogether.

11. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    What a pathetic argument. Top marksmen have a tremendous amount of mental and physical prowess. The need to block out environmental distraction, lower their heart-rate to a crawl, control breathing, nerves, allow for environmental factors like wind, humidity, gravity as well as mechanical variables.
    See this comment alone shows you've given the whole thing very little thought.

The vast majority of the factors you've listed also apply to eSports, albiet slightly nuanced. You also don't seem to realise the picture that I linked is from a 10m Air rifle event. Conducted Indoors, explicitly to minimize environmental factors such as wind and humidity.

I'm not even in the camp of people wanting to see eSports at the Olympics, I think they don't need it. It's just strange that you're so confident in your opinion when you've clearly given it little real thought. Frankly that's the only 'pathetic' thing here.

Edit: to be clear, my post wasn't even an 'argument'. It was actually just a bit of cheek. I don't actually intend to go into a full blown discussion as, like I said, I don't want to see eSports in the Olympics anyway.

Here have a watch
    Spoiler:

You'll notice most contestants use a mount of some form as well (in between shots), further removing any physicality from the equation.
    Last edited by seanhinton; 1st September 2017 at 3:04 pm.

12. Post
    An eOlympics would be fantastic. Multiple games, multiple platforms - millions upon millions around the world would tune in.

13. Post
    It's been done. It was called World Cyber Games and it was big news for years until it died to mobile games and counterstrike clones. I'd like to see another crack at it now though since streaming is huge these days.

A couple of GP users participated in this for counterstrike 1.6 (and iirc Wc3). I also streamed some of the games in the early 2000s for other GP members to watch via justin.tv (I think).

14. Post
    Could you imagine the giant STI fest that is already the olympic village including eSports teams? Yikes...

15. Post
    Just have them play an old arcade box of Hyper Olympics, or California Games, I want to see if any professional athletes can beat my high score at hacky sack.

16. Post
    Huge fan of eSports and would rather they weren't at the Olympics. All it will add is more tension between the regions and more old people complaining about video games.

I imagine they will try to add them at some point though, to try get in on that growth and money.

17. Post
    seanhinton wrote:
    It's been done. It was called World Cyber Games and it was big news for years until it died to mobile games and counterstrike clones. I'd like to see another crack at it now though since streaming is huge these days.

A couple of GP users participated in this for counterstrike 1.6 (and iirc Wc3). I also streamed some of the games in the early 2000s for other GP members to watch via justin.tv (I think).
    Yep, I was involved in WCG in Auckland, I think in 2007. It didn't really last all that long after that