1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    it's obviously satire, they are mocking the whole privilege movement

3. Post
    I love this! Its even better than the swinging dicks in Conan.
    I've seen a lot of people who love to throw around SJW as an insult getting very upset over this. Funny how when a joke comes at this topic from another angle it's a travesty and worth a fiery paragraph or two of flaccid internet rage. There is a lot of room for interpretation with this joke. That's why it's so smart.

4. Post
    Its a south park game. If people are going to get upset over it, that's on them. Same as anything else people get upset over that dose actually effect them or dose not agree with there own view, even though the evidence is there to back up what they think is wrong.

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    it's obviously satire, they are mocking the whole privilege movement
    I'd love to hear how you arrived at that conclusion, because to me it looks like the opposite of that

6. Post
    Nice.

7. Post
    Pickle Rick wrote:
    I'd love to hear how you arrived at that conclusion, because to me it looks like the opposite of that
    because the first game had similar things and if you've watched the tv show you'll know the tv show is full of it as well

8. Post
    Pickle Rick wrote:
    Because they aren't feminist SJW "oh no the world is out to get me" hypocrite ******s.

9. Post
    Pickle Rick wrote:
    This is Trey Parker and Matt Stone we're talking about here, for a South Park game.
    Everything is taking the piss in one way or another.

They've been taking the piss out of PC Culture again ever since the introduction of PC Principal.
    Even Cartman was sucked down the rabbit-hole for a while (which has been some of his weakest screen-time so far until his paranoid breakdown in SpaceX).
    I fully expect them to take the piss out of all sides, because that's what they do. That's what they've ALWAYS done, and to think otherwise is naive. If South Park wasn't taking the piss out of everyone and everything, it'd lose it's fanbase quickly. It's what people expect of it.

This is why fans are looking at this stuff, waiting for the inevitable shitstorm that comes from SOMETHING they do in the game. Especially if the game has 'black as hard mode' and the ability to be trans in it. Wait for it. There is going to be a massive amount of butthurt generated, and it's going to be glorious.

It's South Park. It's offensive by nature. If it can offend people, it will.

10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    because the first game had similar things and if you've watched the tv show you'll know the tv show is full of it as well
    That... doesn't explain anything

Saraneth wrote:
    Because they aren't feminist SJW "oh no the world is out to get me" hypocrite ******s.
    Great contribution

11. Post
    Tyroki wrote:
    This is Trey Parker and Matt Stone we're talking about here, for a South Park game.
    Everything is taking the piss in one way or another.

They've been taking the piss out of PC Culture again ever since the introduction of PC Principal.
    Even Cartman was sucked down the rabbit-hole for a while (which has been some of his weakest screen-time so far until his paranoid breakdown in SpaceX).
    I fully expect them to take the piss out of all sides, because that's what they do. That's what they've ALWAYS done, and to think otherwise is naive. If South Park wasn't taking the piss out of everyone and everything, it'd lose it's fanbase quickly. It's what people expect of it.

This is why fans are looking at this stuff, waiting for the inevitable shitstorm that comes from SOMETHING they do in the game. Especially if the game has 'black as hard mode' and the ability to be trans in it. Wait for it. There is going to be a massive amount of butthurt generated, and it's going to be glorious.

It's South Park. It's offensive by nature. If it can offend people, it will.
    My words exactly. My above post was just a TL;DR. That's right. I am claiming this post in the name of Jesus! May he forever suffer for our sins... lol.

12. Post
    Tyroki wrote:
    stuff.
    Yeah, I understand all of this, but I don't see how this particular thing conforms to that. How is making the game harder for a black character taking the piss out of "PC culture"? It seems to be the opposite.

Of course, there could be something in the game that answers that question definitively. But on the face of it, I'm not convinced this a piss-take (especially because this is partly Ubisoft we are talking about).

13. Post
    either way I don't care, I find it hilarious and I know south park takes the piss out of everything

14. Post
    Either way I find it amusing. Don't really care if it's a satire of the privilege movement or part of it (i suspect the latter). It's funny that's all that matters to me.

15. Post
    I think what is MORE interesting than this, is the way they deal with you picking your gender. You start as a male, and then at some point, you go to Mr. Macky, and 'Retcon' to female or trans, which is a interesting satire on retcon's in comics more than anything.

16. Post
    Pickle Rick wrote:
    Yeah, I understand all of this, but I don't see how this particular thing conforms to that. How is making the game harder for a black character taking the piss out of "PC culture"? It seems to be the opposite.

Of course, there could be something in the game that answers that question definitively. But on the face of it, I'm not convinced this a piss-take (especially because this is partly Ubisoft we are talking about).
    What has Ubisoft done lately to suddenly have light shining out of their asses?
    Did you not play Stick of Truth?
    Choose black character, then choose a class that isn't a thief.
    He basically says "Whoa, a black guy that isn't a thief?"
    Choose a thief and he says "You look sneaky enough."
    Be a white thief and he comments that he's never seen one of those before.

Fully expect them to go just as ham in this game. As it is I expect the 'trans' option to be taken the piss out of in some way, such as Cartman saying "Trans huh? You know there's no going back after this, right?"
    I just know it's coming =P

17. Post
    Dat realism doe

18. Post
    Of course its a piss take. But both ways. It making a mockery of both sides of the debate.

The fact that the slider is representing difficulty via skin tone is an absurdist demonstration of how certain segments might automatically assume skin colour equals disadvantage. But equally at the same time it does draw attention to it. South park has always done this.

19. Post
    but whole

20. Post
    The Fractured But Whole's difficulty slider changes your character's skin colour
    I feel like reading news stories about this game only serves to ruin it. Not because of the controversial content but, because the comedic timing/context/intent is lost or damaged. This joke is the type of thing that I would have liked to have experienced first hand but, instead, we're treated to a slew of news articles delivering it as an isolated punchline in the most contentious click inducing way possible. IMO Eurogamer are knobs for letting this out.

That said, I do appreciate the effort by Matt (and others where applicable) not to spoil the game (cheers mate).

If what you choose is not in line with prior South Park RPG The Stick of Truth's white male protagonist, the game retcons things in a way I won't spoil here.

21. Post
    This is funny. South Park satire is consistently on point!

22. Post
    I thought they issued a statement not long after the fact that this wasn't true.