$251-$500
32 25.81%
$501-$800
20 16.13%
$801-$1200
19 15.32%
$1200+
18 14.52%
Other (my dad works for Apple so I got the new iPhone 9 free)
3 2.42%
  1. Post
    Used an iPod and a shitty cellphone up until 2 months ago. Finally got a proper phone and chose the iPhone 7 since I develop for iOs as a hobby.

2. Post
    I've been alternating between low end new phones and second hand higher spec ones. Currently a oneplus one.
    I don't value them highly. A necessary evil. Phones have always been the annoying distraction, from what I'm doing.

3. Post
    Bought a Samsung Note 5 on release and dropped/broke it last week. Replaced it with a second hand iPhone 6 that I paid $250 for as I needed something fairly immediately. No complaints, always liked Android but found myself using less and less apps, and just using it for web browsing, calls and texts, so this phone is doing me just fine, plus I find the battery life to be better so far

4. Post
    I have a Nexus 6P, not sure what RRP is but I paid ~$400 2nd hand iirc, struggle to justify spending > $500 on phones when I pretty much just use them for email, browsing, podcasts and photos of the kid, I've always got what I need out of a phone for less than that and would rather spend the difference elsewhere.

5. Post
    Got a Samsung A3 earlier this year, 2017 model. It's pretty good, not too big, battery is going well. I've owned 2 iPhones and both of the batteries went to shit, would turn off at 40% or less. I only use my phone for social media reddit, photos, and music. Samsung has way too much bloatware though.

6. Post
    Thinking of rooting my S7, but am too scared. Can't afford to brick it.

7. Post
    far few people seem to abide by the 3 year phone lifecycle here lol

8. Post
    Think i've had five in the last four years. Finally got one that actually works pretty much 100%... thanks Xiaomi. Considering getting an mp3 player so i can use my phone less..

9. Post
    Galaxy Note 3... about 4 years and 9 months old haha. RRP was $1149 IIRC, negotiated with Warehouse Stationary to $869, that slapped on a mime tempered glass + UAG case. Had survived at least two 1-metre + drop (one was even screen-down on Sureshield concrete) and numerous <1m drop without issue. The ~$100 in protective gear has paid itself multiple times over.

Put down $100-250 lol... but the phone is definitely dying. Battery life is shocking and bluetooth + mobile internet + wifi will sometimes refused to work, requiring a restart.
    Drives like an Asian till he gets behind the wheel of a holden

10. Post
    bradc wrote:
    With hardware now exceeding software for the most part, even shit phones are useful for a lot of regular users.

So how important is your phone to you?
    Why do you ask? How important is your phone to you?

11. Post
    Just interested to see the demand for higher end phones. Interesting to see an inverse bell curve.

My phones reasonably important for my work. And i use it for entertainment outside work. It's a 4-5 year old S4 mini. Cameras a bit shit but it does everything I need it to moderately well enough for me not to upgrade it.

12. Post
    should have worded the question differently then - i've had many high end phones over the years but they've always been supplied by my work or the vendor. no way would i pay RRP.

13. Post
    That'd be the last option then.

14. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Thinking of rooting my S7, but am too scared. Can't afford to brick it.
    Pretty sure it will be hard to brick a S7 with the amount of support a popular phone like that will have. If you do, there will be sure ways to recover it. I wouldn't worry and go for it!

15. Post
    Had a Lumia 930 as a work phone for the last few years until I recently dropped it one too many times and it broke the screen.
    Got an S7 as a replacement. I prefer Windows mobile for work stuff, but I guess I just got used to using it for 5+ years, so Android is quite different.

16. Post
    Have a Nexus 5x, about to bin it for a phone with more storage though. But also want another phone running stock Android if possible.

The main feature driving upgrades now is camera quality. Chinese companies have realised this and and are now pumping out cheap phones using mid-range chips with decent cameras on them and lots of storage.

17. Post
    Have a Pixel XL. Paid 1400 last year, its a great phone but way too much for what it delivers. Having picked up a Redmi Note 4x for the old man I doubt I'll be buying another flagship again.

18. Post
    Oneplus X, nice phone that isn't too massive... don't feel any need to upgrade. Mainly use it as a music player.

19. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Have a Nexus 5x, about to bin it for a phone with more storage though. But also want another phone running stock Android if possible.
    I'll be your bin, PM me a price?

20. Post
    I could do, but I need to buy another phone before I sell it. Aren't you still in Mexico?

21. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I could do, but I need to buy another phone before I sell it. Aren't you still in Mexico?
    Nah back in NZ.

22. Post
    huawei phone from the warehouse, my sister works there and got me it for cheap all i know is its better than my samsung galaxy s2

23. Post
    iPhone 5S less than 1 year old $251

24. Post
    I mostly get last generation flagships, new or second hand. Current gen flagship phones are ridiculously expensive.

Currently using a second hand 2015 A5. It's pretty good, though the battery life is shit, and for some reason Samsung glue these ****ers together like an iPhone, so you can't just chuck a new one in.

25. Post
    I dont understand why people spend over $1000 on a phone besides some weird status thing. I have a cheap xiamoi thing which is fine except th camera is a bit naff, battery life is mint though and only cost around 250$. Ill probably buy the next model up next time however which is around 350-400$. I cant see any value in a phone costing more than $600.