A thread to discuss how ****ed up America is. (No Posts About The Wall)

Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
(7 votes)

1. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    I love how bump stocks are a) legal in the first instance and b) now selling out due to fears they'll be banned.
    America is such a bizarre place. You can own an AR-15 with a bump stock, but a bolt-action rifle with a scope and suppressor is something very nefarious! I've got mates there when showing me their photos of their AR-15 collections suddenly go "why do you need a suppressor? are you doing bad stuff"... standing in front of their cupboard full of ARs and thousands of rounds of ammo (ammo is soooooooo cheap there).

2. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Usually when the people in the compound start hoarding guns and telling people to prepare for the day of reckoning. Hmm.
    and sales of fruit punch go up

3. Post
    I want a suppressor for my .308 to a) deafen everyone within 200m slightly less b) make it harder for deer to identify the direction of the sound and c) to control my ridiculous recoil (hollow fibreglass stock plus .308...) somehow.

Too many people have movie concepts of suppressors.

4. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    America is such a bizarre place. You can own an AR-15 with a bump stock, but a bolt-action rifle with a scope and suppressor is something very nefarious! I've got mates there when showing me their photos of their AR-15 collections suddenly go "why do you need a suppressor? are you doing bad stuff"... standing in front of their cupboard full of ARs and thousands of rounds of ammo (ammo is soooooooo cheap there).
    I like the way they're making a big deal about bump stocks and how the Republicans, NRA and the White House are on board to legislate against them, even though full autos are already illegal in the US.

Anywhere else in the World you'd have a hard job persuading a judge that your bump stock wasn't a de facto machine gun, and you weren't already breaking the existing law.

5. Post
    Look at the issues in NZ when the Police decided a thumbhole stock was technically a pistol grip.

6. Post
    Ninjist222 wrote:
    I'll be in Vegas at the start of next year, for one of the biggest related industry events - SHOT SHOW.
    It'll be a blast like always, but it's going to be interesting to see what happens over those few days and in the couple months leading up to it after this attack.
    How'd you swing that? Is it media only?

7. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    I like the way they're making a big deal about bump stocks and how the Republicans, NRA and the White House are on board to legislate against them, even though full autos are already illegal in the US.

Anywhere else in the World you'd have a hard job persuading a judge that your bump stock wasn't a de facto machine gun, and you weren't already breaking the existing law.
    What I don't get is you still need a clip with a bump stock anyway. You're gonna run out of bullets eventually... It's not like you've got a nice big ammo belt with thousands of bullets lined up to be fed into your machine gun. People see bump stock and they assume this.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  141.2 KB

8. Post
    zippy wrote:
    I find the motivation question dumb. It's pretty clear that the guy wanted to know what it felt like to mow down a crowd of people with a machine gun and he found out
    Followed by a bullet to is own head.

9. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    What I don't get is you still need a clip with a bump stock anyway. You're gonna run out of bullets eventually... It's not like you've got a nice big ammo belt with thousands of bullets lined up to be fed into your machine gun. People see bump stock and they assume this.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  141.2 KB
    I shot something similar to that in Cambodia, was Amazeballs. They setup a big lpg cylinder for me to shoot at

10. Post
    I've had friends that have been over there to Vietnam and Cambodia and done the same thing, I'm kinda jealous actually.

11. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    How'd you swing that? Is it media only?
    My company is in the NZ defence industry.

SHOT SHOW is industry-relevant companies (military / outdoors) and media only, no public.

12. Post
    Go buy us some better guns.

13. Post
    Here's a good video explaining the bump stock thing, as you will find out they're not that dangerous anyway. The sheer amount of ammo that the guy had was what was the biggest issue. Some sane countries restrict the amount of ammo you can buy at one time. That would have helped alleviate the kill rate some what.

This guy is one of those guys that says MGP-15 for the win in CS Source and sprays out a whole bunch of shots. They might get a few kills, but their kill ratio is shit.

14. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    The sheer amount of ammo that the guy had was what was the biggest issue. Some sane countries restrict the amount of ammo you can buy at one time.
    Which countries restrict the amount of ammo you can stockpile though? do any? how can you even monitor that?

I know a dude in Auckland with tens of thousands of bullets in his house, And I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has enough brass and powder to make the whole lot up at once into working ammo either.
    He owns it for personal use, not any commercial venture.

15. Post
    Again we come back to the Australia argument each state and territory has its own regulations of course but this will give you a brief idea on how ammunition is regulated. Case example for New South Wales.

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/ne...oters-in-march

16. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    Again we come back to the Australia argument each state and territory has its own regulations of course but this will give you a brief idea on how ammunition is regulated. Case example for New South Wales.
    But there's no limitation on quantity...

17. Post
    There's a bunch of regulations and the dealer has to keep a list of who is buying what. In this situation the police would have seen someone who has at least gone out and bought a shit load of ammunition, even if the guns themselves weren't legal, and they could have acted far earlier.

The restriction then becomes whatever the police commissioner feels appropriate at the time.

18. Post
    I shot a semi auto AK from the hip once with tracers, but **** we set fire to a beach and it got out of control, I wouldn't do this again if I was sober.

19. Post
    This whole situation is a cluster ****, it took them 10 minutes to get inside the Mandalay, it took them 20 minutes to send enough people, and an hour later after conflicting orders they actually did something.

20. Post
    I think a country accepting that these weapons are available also accepts that they will be used very occasionally by crazy people with unclear intentions. Now the reason why motivation is the talking point when it comes to America is that they are way beyond "very occasionally", even when you account for the size of the country. So I can't agree that they should just ignore motivation. It would be socially irresponsible.

21. Post
    And now for something completely different:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-their-rights

Great article about predatory companies alongside corrupt judges and medical staff abusing laws to take everything from the elderly and legally preventing them, or the families from being able to do anything about it.

There are now some law changes in some states but the overseer in the article hasn't had any legal issues, and the original person still writes the law and holds a high level office.

One evil woman and some related staff have now been found guilty of around 700 charges between them, but it won't fix the problem at its root.

22. Post
    Trumps talking about the 'calm before the storm'. Kind of a weird thing to say.

23. Post
    Roumelio wrote:

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/ne...oters-in-march
    That doesn't limit the quantity of ammunition - and in NZ we have to present our license to buy ammo. But it doesn't stop us buying lots of it.

Quantity of ammunition owned isn't an issue, there are legitimate users that go through thousands of rounds (pest control/ competition/ cullers).

The issues in the USA are:
    - price of guns and ammo is cheap (or the price of guns in ammo in the rest of the world is expensive depending on how you look at it)
    - bumpfire type mods
    - no restrictions of magazine size (you can buy 100 round mags for ARs)
    - culture (and I would say this is 50% of the problem)

24. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Trumps talking about the 'calm before the storm'. Kind of a weird thing to say.
    I think he's trolling Kim (little rocket man).

25. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    That doesn't limit the quantity of ammunition - and in NZ we have to present our license to buy ammo. But it doesn't stop us buying lots of it.

Quantity of ammunition owned isn't an issue, there are legitimate users that go through thousands of rounds (pest control/ competition/ cullers).

The issues in the USA are:
    - price of guns and ammo is cheap (or the price of guns in ammo in the rest of the world is expensive depending on how you look at it)
    - bumpfire type mods
    - no restrictions of magazine size (you can buy 100 round mags for ARs)
    - culture (and I would say this is 50% of the problem)
    I'm aware of the facts, I'm just saying eventually in a state like New South Wales or perhaps even in New Zealand the police commissioner eventually will say enough is enough with regard to how much ammunition you have at some point.

I was talking to a mate who goes through thousands of rounds when he goes to the range. Talking shit or whatever, I suggested putting serial numbers on bullets/magazines using the same theory the Narcs rely upon just to see how much money is/isn't in circulation (this would take a fcuk load of work to achieve properly though).

Yes you're right we need clip size limits, we need restrictions on bump fire stocks even the NRA came out and agreed on that.

And yes there is a culture issue, they put dumb shit in their constitution and every constitution literalist believes it. While the "dick act" (militia act 1903 and several amendments later) does not go far enough to clarify exactly what a militia means in the United States beyond the scope of regulations for the national guard in the United States.

The later point is an act that could be refined.
    Last edited by Roumelio; 7th October 2017 at 2:43 pm.