A thread to discuss how ****ed up America is. (No Posts About The Wall)

Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
(7 votes)
Results 9,126 to 9,150 of 9273

1. Post
    would been cheaper for us in the long run that is for sure. There were those army sharp shooters which the police were training with, they had been given special dispensation and authorized to use deadly force. Pretty sure if he had come within eye ball range of them they would likely have killed him

2. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Cops in NZ use their .223s for other things, mainly visual deterrent, but destroying injured livestock etc, one even used his to drive off a great White at Muriwai that wouldn't let go of it's victim.

Also, re: the Christchurch case, a whole lot of innocent people had already been shot, so if ever there was a case for using a high power rifle to stop an offender, that was the case.

Pity they didn't off him while they had the chance.
    I was referring to the police shooting/chase a couple of weeks before.

3. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    Whats happened in Christchurch didn't occur in a vacuum. The government has been very active in blocking the public's ability to give the terrible event context. It's not a start point for my view, as I deliberately made it an observation, of global trends. We are just a part of that, one thats lagging.
    Things like this have been happening...
    Meanwhile you seem desperate to provide your own context consisting entirely of "Muslims are evil and this is 15 year old high school dropout with PTSD whose bail conditions are that he receive counselling from the Muslim community is all the proof I need!"

4. Post
    Dans wrote:
    Thunderstorm is a moron. Not sure if he's completely oblivious to facts. The Russian's interfered in the elections in a TON of ways, it's all on that wikipedia page.
    The question is who really cares - all the superpowers fiddle with the internal politics of other countries. It's somewhat amusing to see the USA have a big cry over something they do to everyone else.

5. Post
    So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

yep another great tweet from the master of idiotic tweets. How can people defend him, and i dont even have to say who.

6. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    The question is who really cares - all the superpowers fiddle with the internal politics of other countries. It's somewhat amusing to see the USA have a big cry over something they do to everyone else.
    Just a little bit of whataboutism going on there I see
    A lot of people happen to care, see - anyone in the USA who didn't vote for Trump.

7. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    would been cheaper for us in the long run that is for sure. There were those army sharp shooters which the police were training with, they had been given special dispensation and authorized to use deadly force. Pretty sure if he had come within eye ball range of them they would likely have killed him
    Only proper Police are allowed to shoot civilians in NZ. They have their own sharpshooters.

Letting the army start shooting people isn't a road you want to go down.

8. Post
    I had a look on r/the_donald for the first time in awhile and they've turned on Fox news and ben shapiro lol.

Also the conditions of immigrants on the southern border are so god damn bad, they're just stuffing them in tents with little access to food and water.

9. Post
    Should consider themselves lucky they even get that. America has no obligation to be responsible for them.

10. Post
    As a signatory to the UNHCR, yes they do.

11. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Also the conditions of immigrants on the southern border are so god damn bad, they're just stuffing them in tents with little access to food and water.
    Its because of the sheer numbers that border staff are having to deal with. Its at breaking point. There is also a lot of illegal crossings with drugs still pouring in, This is why Trump is building the wall as fast as he can, It is making progress despite opposition from the Dem's who don't care about border security because they are more interested in next years election.

12. Post
    Basileus wrote:
    Should consider themselves lucky they even get that. America has no obligation to be responsible for them.
    They do actually.

13. Post
    frio wrote:
    As a signatory to the UNHCR, yes they do.
    If they're refugees - fleeing war or significant persecution, which 99% of these people are not.
    Does not apply to economic migrants.

Legal definition of a refugee: "A refugee, generally speaking, is a displaced person who has been forced to cross national boundaries and who cannot return home safely"

"who are outside their country of nationality or habitual residence and unable to return there owing to serious and indiscriminate threats to life, physical integrity or freedom resulting from generalized violence or events seriously disturbing public order."

The vast majority of them do not fit into those definitions, having left their countries of origin of their own free volition to seek "better opportunities".

In which case they should have followed the proper procedures and gone through the immigration application process like everyone ****ing has to.

14. Post
    Don't get too upset, most of them have their asylum claims rejected and get deported.

Thunderstorm wrote:
    Its because of the sheer numbers that border staff are having to deal with. Its at breaking point.
    If they're at breaking point now, what were they in the 90s when there were 5 times as many people? The families running away from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela aren't the ones with the drugs by the way, that would be the Mexican drug cartels.

15. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    Its because of the sheer numbers that border staff are having to deal with. Its at breaking point. There is also a lot of illegal crossings with drugs still pouring in, This is why Trump is building the wall as fast as he can, It is making progress despite opposition from the Dem's who don't care about border security because they are more interested in next years election.
    Nah, what the WH has done is bottleneck the immigrants moving through the application process so it manufactures a crisis.But I know you won't believe this because you're one of the people this circus is designed for, and it's actually pretty clever by the WH, disgusting and sickening but clever so probably not Trumps idea lol.

16. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    sweet explain trade deals then

17. Post
    if you put tariffs on products local money is saved (and a degree of industry protection) at the expense of potential market share

that is how trade deals works

18. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    If they're at breaking point now, what were they in the 90s when there were 5 times as many people?
    I don't know about the 90's incident But from what Ive read it seems today they just can't cope with the continuous high numbers. And its not fair that american tax payers should have to pay for food and water for kids who we brought into this world due to parents that were to lazy to organize condoms.

Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    The families running away from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela aren't the ones with the drugs by the way, that would be the Mexican drug cartels.
    Yes it is probably Mexican drug cartels, I not saying that it is refugee families bringing in the drugs, I'm saying that because most of border staff resources is currently taken up with processing the high numbers of migrant families there is little resources left to tackle the drug trade on the border. The drug cartels have been taking advantage of the high amount of migrant s because they know that border staff can't cope. This is why Trump has been pushing for more border funds/resources like the wall and more surveillance etc.

19. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    do you understand that 95% of all drugs come through the 3 major border crossings in big trucks and a truck crosses them every 15 seconds so good luck stopping them, and up to 25,000 people cross just one pedestrian bridge a day all legal , 2016 saw 42 million people cross into the USA using the pedestrian crossings, and that is meant to double in the next 30 years no wonder the guards are busy , they would be flat out just dealing with legal crossings, you like Trump have no idea what happens at the border on a daily basis.

20. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    its not fair that american tax payers should have to pay for food and water for kids who we brought into this world due to parents that were to lazy to organize condoms.
    I'm sure a country that spends three quarters of a trillion dollars on their military every year can splash out on some food and water for refugees

Thunderstorm wrote:
    Yes it is probably Mexican drug cartels, I not saying that it is refugee families bringing in the drugs, I'm saying that because most of border staff resources is currently taken up with processing the high numbers of migrant families there is little resources left to tackle the drug trade on the border. The drug cartels have been taking advantage of the high amount of migrant s because they know that border staff can't cope. This is why Trump has been pushing for more border funds/resources like the wall and more surveillance etc.
    Has it ever occurred to you that the guys x-raying cars and trucks for drugs probably don't work in the same department as those processing asylum claims?

They need more immigration judges, not a wall in the middle of nowhere. The court system is where the bottleneck is, not with the ICE staff.

21. Post
    Basileus wrote:
    If they're refugees - fleeing war or significant persecution, which 99% of these people are not.
    Does not apply to economic migrants.

Legal definition of a refugee: "A refugee, generally speaking, is a displaced person who has been forced to cross national boundaries and who cannot return home safely"

"who are outside their country of nationality or habitual residence and unable to return there owing to serious and indiscriminate threats to life, physical integrity or freedom resulting from generalized violence or events seriously disturbing public order."

The vast majority of them do not fit into those definitions, having left their countries of origin of their own free volition to seek "better opportunities".

In which case they should have followed the proper procedures and gone through the immigration application process like everyone ****ing has to.
    Significant persecution is a pretty apt description of life in parts of the Latin American countries torn apart by drugs. Trump used to hammer purely on Mexico, but you see shit like that caravan (that magically vanished off the news after the mid-terms) coming up; those people aren't Mexican. They're powerless people fleeing shit like the cartels in Colombia.

Most of the various statistical models of refugees track migratory patterns as a "push" rather than a "pull". If life is OK enough where you are you probably cbf leaving it; look at Trump's whinging about the lack of Norwegian migrants and their response ("why would we migrate?"). It's only if life is shitty where you are that people leave. That's part of the reason why harsh/strict border policies don't work in practice; if you're faced with death in your home country, it doesn't matter if you'll be stuck in a tent in a slum city in the American desert; that's a better life than what you've got.

Are there people in there who're doing OK and just want better for themselves? Yeah look I'm not blinkered enough to deny that, but Trump wouldn't be ****ing over the immigration judges if the judges weren't admitting people on legitimate asylum claims.

A good book on this topic is "The Quiet War on Asylum" by Tracy Martin; it's a tiny (80 page) summary by an NZ Herald writer.

22. Post
    THE STUDENTS DEBATE! (Part 1) | Change My Mind:

What i find most disturbing is the amount of cops on a collage campus.
    They are just talking man....

23. Post
    When there's basically a mass shooting every day in the country, many of which are at educational institutes, it's not that surprising that the cops are out and about constantly. It does absolutely suck though.

24. Post
    Mueller report released and it turns out Barr and Trump have been lying the whole time!

25. Post
    “I’m ****ed” lmao