1. Post
    silvereye wrote:
    Do those Americans even understand that TAX (in theory) doesn't get thrown into a black hole. As long as there is a progressive tax system then most people who're not in the top 20% would benefit from paying more tax, because (in theory) they will get far better value in public services. As in they will pay less than the per capita investment going into said services. UGH. I guess they're all happy with their pocket money - be damned with infrastructure.

I was recently in South Carolina and I can answer my own question. No, they don't understand any of that.
    You'll also pay more in private services such as hospitals and pharmacies. But hey, you might think you can make up for it by the saving you make in paying less tax.

2. Post
    griefmaker wrote:
    One of the amazing results is Black unemployment is at 6.8% the lowest in 45 years. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/blac...ecord-low.html
    That's amazing especially with all this talk about how Trump is racist etc.

So how did he manage to lower it?

3. Post
    I think Tormenta owes me a Big Mac.

4. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    You'll also pay more in private services such as hospitals and pharmacies. But hey, you might think you can make up for it by the saving you make in paying less tax.
    The irony is that they usually pay higher tax (OECD numbers) and get less in return. I often have this conversation with my merikan buddies, pointing out our lower tax rates plus we get free healthcare/education etc, not to mention GST versus the bizarre sales taxes and other crap they have over there.

5. Post
    Spending a big chunk of your federal budget on your armed forces is going to impact the sort of social services you can deliver.

Freedom ain't free.

6. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    I think Tormenta owes me a Big Mac.
    I suppose it's quite telling that that's the only thing you can point to as some sort of evidence that he's not an utter imbecile. That's like a Frozen Coke at best

7. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    That's amazing especially with all this talk about how Trump is racist etc.

So how did he manage to lower it?
    Well, its nothing that he did himself. You can see from the plot in the linked article that black unemployment has been steadily falling since around 2010. Even if Donald Trump went and played golf all day every day and literally did nothing, American society wouldn't collapse. Regardless of who is on top, the machinery below keeps running. Even purely from a policy standpoint Republicans can still push bills through congress and the senate without Trump's input. Though you can bet its something he'd try to take credit for come debate time

8. Post
    They went and deported this guy back to Mexico after he's been living and working in the USA for 30 years. He has a wife and two kids. He was brought to the US when he was 10, who knows if he even speaks Spanish :/

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/16/us...ntv/index.html

9. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    He was brought to the US when he was 10, who knows if he even speaks Spanish :/
    Yes it would be quite unusual for a 10 year old mexican to be able to speak spanish.

10. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    I suppose it's quite telling that that's the only thing you can point to as some sort of evidence that he's not an utter imbecile. That's like a Frozen Coke at best
    You asked if he has any "in-depth" knowledge in a topic that's not related to his presidential duties, and I showed that he's a competent real estate mogul.

I didn't suggest that he isn't an utter imbecile, and being good at real estate is obviously not indicative of his intelligence/capacity to be a competent president. I was just showing that he does know something.

11. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Yes it would be quite unusual for a 10 year old mexican to be able to speak spanish.
    After 30 years of living in the USA he might not speak it very well

You asked if he has any "in-depth" knowledge in a topic that's not related to his presidential duties, and I showed that he's competent real estate mogul.

I didn't suggest that he isn't an utter imbecile, and being good at real estate is obviously not indicative of his intelligence/capacity to be a competent president. I was just showing that he does know something.
    I am unconvinced about his real estate nous. I suppose he's good at self-promotion tho

12. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    After 30 years of living in the USA he might not speak it very well
    I sorry I forgot nobody speaks spanish in the USA.

Keep digging that hole, I have a ladder to sell you

13. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    They went and deported this guy back to Mexico after he's been living and working in the USA for 30 years. He has a wife and two kids. He was brought to the US when he was 10, who knows if he even speaks Spanish :/

Australia is deporting people back to NZ in the same situation, where is your rage and protest against that?

haha, Spanish is practically the second language of the usa

14. Post
    CoRk wrote:
    Well, its nothing that he did himself. You can see from the plot in the linked article that black unemployment has been steadily falling since around 2010. Even if Donald Trump went and played golf all day every day and literally did nothing, American society wouldn't collapse. Regardless of who is on top, the machinery below keeps running. Even purely from a policy standpoint Republicans can still push bills through congress and the senate without Trump's input. Though you can bet its something he'd try to take credit for come debate time
    Yeah I know, I'm just trying to get through a point to griefmaker.

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Tormenta wrote:

Australia is deporting people back to NZ in the same situation, where is your rage and protest against that?

haha, Spanish is practically the second language of the usa
    It all depends on what area or suburb he has been living in over the years. As you can see from this map only a tiny area in Detroit speaks spanish https://statisticalatlas.com/place/M...roit/Languages So its highly possible that he has not been associating with other spanish speakers over the years, and that he has only been speaking English.

16. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I sorry I forgot nobody speaks spanish in the USA.

Keep digging that hole, I have a ladder to sell you
    You keep making these nonsensical posts which you must think are legitimate rebuttals. Do you think his deportation constitutes a sensible approach to immigration?

17. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    I am unconvinced about his real estate nous. I suppose he's good at self-promotion tho
    What would it take to convince you? All his wealth didn't come down to pure luck.

He did get a head start with the loan his father gave him, but he certainly worked hard and had some degree of nous.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

18. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Spending a big chunk of your federal budget on your armed forces is going to impact the sort of social services you can deliver.

Freedom ain't free.
    Yeah I don't get this part. I know they're uber paranoid about losing influence on the world scene, but REALLY... they actually think any state has the balls to mess with America? It's a WHAT IF force that has spiralled out of control.

last I checked Russian security was ok and they're running on less than a 10th the budget right?

Well when I say I don't get it I kinda do. I mean I just don't get why it's so acceptable.
    Last edited by silvereye; 18th January 2018 at 10:56 pm.

19. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    You keep making these nonsensical posts which you must think are legitimate rebuttals. Do you think his deportation constitutes a sensible approach to immigration?
    I was just pointing out the complete fallacy if your 'he probably doesn't speak spanish' statement.

20. Post
    Oh come one, battleships with railguns, AI for armed drones & robots, exosuits ...theres lots of things to spend trillions on.

21. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    What would it take to convince you?
    An expert on real estate interviewing him about real estate.

I was just pointing out the complete fallacy if your 'he probably doesn't speak spanish' statement.
    I said "Who knows if he even speaks Spanish," the spirit of that statement is of course that he's been living in a different country for 30 years in unknown sociolinguistic conditions and may feel totally alienated going back to Mexico. I think someone said he's from Detroit; it's hardly a border town with a large Spanish-speaking population.

Do you think he should have been deported?

22. Post
    I know complete idiots who have almost doubled their investment in real estate. Hardly an indicator of know-how.

If you have millions to play with it's fairly easy to make gains. I thought his gains hardly even went above and beyond what he would have collecting interest.

23. Post
    He turned $14m into billions. Takes a bit more work than relying on compounding interest to achieve that

24. Post
    Hasn't he got a lot less money than he lets on?

25. Post
    silvereye wrote:
    Yeah I don't get this part. I know they're uber paranoid about losing influence on the world scene, but REALLY... they actually think any state has the balls to mess with America? It's a WHAT IF force that has spiralled out of control.

last I checked Russian security was ok and they're running on less than a 10th the budget right?

Well when I say I don't get it I kinda do. I mean I just don't get why it's so acceptable.
    It's more complicated than that. The Arms industry is big business and is very much a part of the US government and dictates policy, it's a huge issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...strial_complex