A thread to discuss how ****ed up America is. (No Posts About The Wall)

Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
(7 votes)
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 10313

1. Post
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...erican-success

This piece is a bit adjunct to the whole Trump thing we're mashing in this thread, but I thought it really highlights the absurdity of his rise to the top.

2. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Michael Cohen has agreed to testify *publicly* before the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Feb 7. Could be some good viewing.
    Man Trump is going to be spewing venom during/after that. I can't wait!

Ahahaha incredible.

The Wall is a disaster of an idea. The latest design can be cut through easily, and Trump was just recently shown areas that are currently walled and the tunnels dug underneath lol! Plus it would take years to build.

3. Post
    Just confirmed by journalists now. WH directs Army Corps of Engineers to see if it can divert money to border wall from disaster funding bill to cover wildfires in California, hurricanes in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico.

So the disaster recovery efforts - from actual national emergencies - are going to be hampered/cut back to get funding for the wall.

4. Post
    And to think this isn't even close to the rock-bottom of this shit-storm yet.

5. Post
    Sounds like the current administration is the national emergency tbh. That's ridiculous.

6. Post
    The buck stops with.....

Little video of presidents saying it, all the way from Truman to Trump
    https://twitter.com/hardball/status/...469636608?s=21

7. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Just confirmed by journalists now. WH directs Army Corps of Engineers to see if it can divert money to border wall from disaster funding bill to cover wildfires in California, hurricanes in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico.

So the disaster recovery efforts - from actual national emergencies - are going to be hampered/cut back to get funding for the wall.
    Great news for Trump
    Californians didn't vote for him anyway, plus they are rich

8. Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BXsumyk.gif 
Views:	69 
Size:	766.4 KB 
ID:	224617

9. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    ****ing lol

All of these big networks have massive bias and narratives they push. They're the same as Fox except on the left instead of the right. If they tell you what you want to hear though, then I guess you're going to gravitate towards them.

I'm not having a go at you, because we probably all do it to a degree. Watch the news sources that are on 'our side' and the same with YouTube channels etc. Suggesting that those networks you mentioned have all the facts and never lie is simply false.
    The difference is you can fact check MSNBC and they are generally correct, Fox on the other hand is almost always wrong.

10. Post
    It's quite interesting.

My partner is in the US working at a campus of a government department, of which around 60% of the staff on campus are foreigners (talking like 40,000 people) and all of the foreigners are shaking their heads at Trump. Meanwhile there are staff in the non-management areas which are fervent supporters of Trump who believe that the wall needs to be built.

11. Post
    Its hard to keep up with this busy thread, but its starting to look like Trump will soon declare a national emergency to get the wall funds due to the stubborn democrats.

12. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    The difference is you can fact check MSNBC and they are generally correct, Fox on the other hand is almost always wrong.
    Haha ok.

13. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    Its hard to keep up with this busy thread, but its starting to look like Trump will soon declare a national emergency to get the wall funds due to the stubborn democrats.
    and the courts will challenge it

14. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    and the courts will challenge it
    Saw an idea today related to going to the army engineers. If he funnels the funding from the emergency relief for Puerto Rico etc and he builds it on defense land and uses the army, he can build some wall, courts can’t touch him and he can claim a win. He can even leave the govt shut down if he wants. It’s becomming more autocratic by the day.

15. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    When you can't even understand the basics There's no point.
    Just wanted to pile in with Quasi and Clav. I’m willing to listen, please explain.

16. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    Between Judge Napolitano, Shep and Chris Wallace, they aren't always wrong. Not sure why they still have jobs there, maybe so Fox can fend off potential law suits for disseminating bullshit and lies.

17. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Between Judge Napolitano, Shep and Chris Wallace, they aren't always wrong. Not sure why they still have jobs there, maybe so Fox can fend off potential law suits for disseminating bullshit and lies.
    Add Neil Cavuto to that list, and Brett Baier seems pretty straight up too. Cavuto is hilarious because he reads out hate mail from Fox fans calling him fat and telling him to **** off to CNN

Here’s a good one

18. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Saw an idea today related to going to the army engineers. If he funnels the funding from the emergency relief for Puerto Rico etc and he builds it on defense land and uses the army, he can build some wall, courts can’t touch him and he can claim a win. He can even leave the govt shut down if he wants. It’s becomming more autocratic by the day.
    Excellent immigration is a Defense Department project anyway - the military protects against imvasion

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Excellent immigration is a Defense Department project anyway - the military protects against imvasion
    Owning the libs, day after day. You’ll see it all here folks, SirGrim drinks leftist tears in his own cup.

Name:	671DA23D-4D7E-492B-82DB-0C63C46D5E93.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	224623

20. Post
    frio wrote:
    Just wanted to pile in with Quasi and Clav. I’m willing to listen, please explain.
    When I quote and repost all the posts in here saying that Trump will never get his wall I might be arsed to add this on. On a side note crooked hillary will be running again next year.

21. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Not when the coast guard isn't getting paid due to the shutdown it doesn't

22. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Is it though? I know the correct talking point of a patriotic American is that their system is the best in the world but it never seems to work out that way. That they can deadlock on some nonsense and have the government shut down so easily it's ridiculous. The political way they appoint judges is ridiculous also. The electoral college and the way the congressional districts are gerrymandered is pretty bizarre.

Maybe we're just a different kind of people but our political and judicial system seems a lot better designed than theirs to me. If our government couldn't pass a budget for 3 weeks we'd be straight into a general election and the party that caused it would get punished.
    A supply crisis can also happen in New Zealand. The difference that I guess a constitutional monarchy has over a presidential system is that the Governer General can work on behalf of the Queen and dismiss the government. There were all kinds of crises in New Zealand when it changed to proportional representation in coming up with a working government also so New Zealand is not immune to government crisis. Most people on this side of the Pacific in New Zealand and Australia are not dumb enough to let what amounts to supply bills being blocked lead to a similar crisis in this part of the world.

A part of the Governer General's role as an added aside which gives us more common sense is to assume the position of deciding whether a government can be tested on the floor of parliament and that at least is a check on supply arguments over here... in theory at least...

The same political appointments exist there as in here under the recommendation of the sitting government of the day. The same conservative majority could be achieved over there as in New Zealand. The difference is that the appointments come from the attorney-general rather than the POTUS.

The electoral college is one way of managing things where people vote indirectly for the people who vote for the people. Any system can be rigged or gerrymandered including mixed member proportional systems if you try hard enough. It's just a method of electing people. The commission can be rigged in our side of the world as in the case of Queensland and the roll of Joh Bjelke-Petersen an independent commission means jack diddly when your whole state is corrupt.

The intent of the the separation of powers is to ensure no one tier of governance has all control and largely even now despite everything Trump is trying to do to assume all power... it remains the case that he has not and the last election proves the point.

The framers of the US constitution put in the checks and balances to deal with this exact scenario of an unruly president.

23. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    I haven't watched a ton but from what I have seen Chris Wallace seems decent.

gneiss wrote:
    Owning the libs, day after day. You’ll see it all here folks, SirGrim drinks leftist tears in his own cup.

Name:	671DA23D-4D7E-492B-82DB-0C63C46D5E93.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	224623
    He is known as SirDim now.

Thunderstorm wrote:
    When I quote and repost all the posts in here saying that Trump will never get his wall I might be arsed to add this on. On a side note crooked hillary will be running again next year.
    So you don't know?

24. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    Cmon man, please just explain it.

25. Post
    GoFundMe is refunding all $20 million that was raised for the "Build the Wall" campaign, after the man who started it broke his promise of returning donor money if the campaign didn't reach its goal, BuzzFeed News reports
    I for one am shocked.