1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    does "xbox exclusive" always mean a Win 10 release too? I'm very out of the loop these days

3. Post
    its on steam...

4. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    does "xbox exclusive" always mean a Win 10 release too? I'm very out of the loop these days
    "Xbox exclusive" means it's only available on Xbox, nothing else (well it now says "Only on Xbox One"). On the other hand, "Xbox Console exclusive" means it's only available on Xbox (not available on any other console) and Windows 10/PC.
    Last edited by ChizzBo; 7th October 2017 at 1:35 am.

5. Post
    Does anyone else have an issue where things which are clearly part of the front player layer just kinda, blend into the background?

Just me?

6. Post
    ^ not in this (so far), but I do find that with a *lot* of modern pixel art titles. They look gorgeous but without clear outlines around the players/enemies, everything seems to blur together .

7. Post
    I'm not sure that including comments about a pixel art game in a Cuphead thread are all that relevant.

I did not notice any issues with the visual blending. Do you have an example or a screenshot?

8. Post
    Yes, I can.

In this instance I could not tell whether the hands could be touched, especially because the boss takes over 50% of the screen.

Here, I could not tell if this cloud thingy did actually any damage to me. Turns out it doesn't.

I mostly had issue with the clown boss though, lots of stuff I couldn't tell if it was actually part of the background or not. TONS of shit can hit you in that fight, and most of it you need to know beforehand.

9. Post
    Krichul wrote:
    I mostly had issue with the clown boss though, lots of stuff I couldn't tell if it was actually part of the background or not. TONS of shit can hit you in that fight, and most of it you need to know beforehand.
    Isn't that kind of the point of the game though? If they made it easy and you knew what was coming then it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is.

10. Post
    Those backgrounds could not be anymore washed out and complaining about not knowing something can do damage is seriously a newb move. I had the same problems when I was five.

11. Post
    I like the popping noise the shooting makes. But it seems like you could wrap a rubber band around the controller to keep the button pressed all the time and then just try to avoid everything

12. Post
    Britneys Spear wrote:
    Those backgrounds could not be anymore washed out and complaining about not knowing something can do damage is seriously a newb move. I had the same problems when I was five.
    What? Did you even read his posts? The cloud doesn't look like part of the background.

13. Post
    Britneys Spear wrote:
    I had the same problems when I was five.
    But still display the same behaviours apparently. Don't be a dick.

14. Post
    I love the artwork of this game but I suck super hard at these type of 2D games.

15. Post
    Sold 1 million copies. https://twitter.com/StudioMDHR/statu...10008032743428
    All these gamers celebrating exclusionary games, such garbage humans rewarding game developers who want to gatekeep their art. If someone's bought a game then they're entitled to see all of the content no matter their competency at playing games!

16. Post
    call it what it is Windows exclusive

17. Post
    Sad we'll never see this iteration on PS4, but who's to say that we won't see another version of it? Anyone remember this?

The only way you'll be able to play Street Fighter II is on a SNES. It will not be available for the Sega Mega Drive

The art direction of Cuphead is obviously pretty incredible (though Ori takes the cake in terms of impressive visuals). However, going exclusive offers people who have families and mortgages to pay a level of security not afforded by going multiplatform. In addition you will get a marketing support, technical expertise and an opportunity to learn your craft. You may have noticed how many independents and studios start off under the umbrella of a console manufacture and then go multiplatform for their second or third game. It was a sensible business move.

There are too many stories of developers living from month to month and people being laid off because game X didn't fulfill publisher Ys sales forecasts.You don't limit sales if you can't afford to develop the game for a new platform, because it was never going to happen.

18. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Sold 1 million copies. https://twitter.com/StudioMDHR/statu...10008032743428
    All these gamers celebrating exclusionary games, such garbage humans rewarding game developers who want to gatekeep their art. If someone's bought a game then they're entitled to see all of the content no matter their competency at playing games!
    Is this comment about the fact it's exclusive to one (sorta) platform? Or about the fact it's hard?

19. Post
    frio wrote:
    Is this comment about the fact it's exclusive to one (sorta) platform? Or about the fact it's hard?
    I think both? It's Eva, so who knows.

20. Post
    Satire of the recent clickbait articles about that trashy sites like Polygon have been running about Cuphead's difficulty and their labelling of gamers as a whole bunch of shitty elitist people just because they enjoy particular games.

There is no platform exclusivity, PS4 gamers can play the PC version which has very modest system requirements.

21. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Satire of the recent clickbait articles about that trashy sites like Polygon have been running about Cuphead's difficulty and their labelling of gamers as a whole bunch of shitty elitist people just because they enjoy particular games.

For those confused by Eva's incredible satire:

Off the back of Assassin's Creed offering a tour mode, RPS's John Walker wrote an editorial about how he wishes he could skip boss fights in Zelda BotW (and other games) because many boss fights are tedious, poorly designed, and worse than the rest of the game in question.

He's written about this sort of accessibility several times, and even if you disagree, it's an interesting conversation to have.

I don't have strong feelings about the issue, but I can't really see a problem with games like Mass Effect having the option to skip combat so people can just experience the story.

Honestly, I can't think of a good reason to not encourage the inclusion of this stuff in most (but not all) games, but perhaps there's a larger point I'm missing.

Anyway, I'm guessing the parts that have Eva upset are:

I know an awful lot of whatís made gaming culture such a miserably toxic environment over the last few years is deeply wrapped up in subjects like this, and those who spread the toxicity are those most likely to be on the side of condemning gaming options that remove challenge, that make the hobby more accessible to the crowds.
    Because, the real nub of it is, itís about exclusivity. Itís about keeping the Thems, the riff-raff, the outsider, out. THIS section of the game, this is special to me and only those as great as I am! I DESERVE this bit of the game! Those weaklings do not! Gosh, itís an ugly way of thinking, isnít it? And so utterly idiotic too. Because it requires the mental gymnastics of somehow believing that oneís own isolated experience of a game is cheapened, lessened, impacted in any conceivable way, by the isolated experience of someone else playing that game.
    That's probably not the tone to take in order to have a productive/enjoyable discussion.

Polygon's Ben Kuchera also wrote an editorial about the topic, asking When is exclusion a valid design choice?:

And thatís the problem here, isnít it? The difficulty will turn some people off, and those people will never get to see that art. They will never enjoy those animations. The design of the game itself keeps them out, when the addition of an easy mode or an option to skip the bosses would allow everyone to see as much or as little as they want.
    Perhaps the fear is that people will just take the path of least resistance and not get the most satisfaction out of beating a game on a harder difficulty. I dunno if this is true or not, but ehhh I don't find it very convincing.

22. Post
    Not sure how the difficulty argument is fundamentally dissimilar to SP content VS MP content.

There's a ton of raid content I'll never see as I don't really like 10-40 player dungeons. That doesn't mean I feel like developers are purposefully excluding me from their design choices tho...

Some games, like the Souls series, have the difficulty curve a key part of the game play?

Not everything is designed specifically for me or what I want and I'm OK with that.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

23. Post
    John Walker is hilarious to read, just take him about as seriously as the act party leader guy...