Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    You can easily attract magpies with a magpie distress call. Then blow them away.

2. Post
    I shoo them away but they come back. I dunno if you can see them but this is just some of them

3. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    You can easily attract magpies with a magpie distress call. Then blow them away.
    My neighbour (deceased) said they used to catch one, and nail its leg to the top of a post, let it flap around in distress and attract other ones that they'd shoot.

4. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    We've currently got at least 20 magpies hanging around the property, they're the worst.
    I've been scared of them since one tried to kill me when I was a kid, plowed straight into the back of my head and knocked me over.

I like Takahes, Pukeko's fat brother

5. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    My neighbour (deceased) said they used to catch one, and nail its leg to the top of a post, let it flap around in distress and attract other ones that they'd shoot.
    That's a bit psycho. You can download an mp3 instead of torturing the bird.

6. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    I shoo them away but they come back. I dunno if you can see them but this is just some of them
    We had magpies dominating our property once. Especially because of our compost heap. They would swoop us etc.

I shot one (on the wing with a .22, I'm a bit proud of that), and left its body on the compost heap as a warning to the other magpies. It worked for all but one family. But what cracked me up was that the parents would stay up in safety, and send their child down first to see if the compost was safe. If it didn't mysteriously die, they'd eventually join in.

Ruthless little bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

NZ's Bird of the Year would have to be Lisa Lewis right?

7. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    That's a bit psycho. You can download an mp3 instead of torturing the bird.
    He died of old age, and was doing that kind of thing slightly before audio cassettes were around. He also spoke fondly of shooting horses. So yes a bit psycho, is fairly accurate.

8. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:

NZ's Bird of the Year would have to be Lisa Lewis right?
    sure, vulgar, daft .. fits right in tbh

9. Post
    Fantails can be quite aggressive. And those big seagulls, territorial AF. While those freakishly large swans at Lake Taupo are ****s of the first ornithological order

10. Post
    Never trust a swan.

11. Post
    I always smile when i hear about Eastern Europeans clubbing them to death and eating them.

12. Post

13. Post
    lmao

14. Post
    LOL

thats ace

15. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Fantails can be quite aggressive.
    I love fantails, they come in my office @ home sometimes.

16. Post
    you guys are so rude. If this was me id vote for the duck.....

17. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    It has always amused me that our national bird is blind, flightless, and generally useless.

Vulcan wrote:
    I love fantails, they come in my office @ home sometimes.
    Love them! Have a lot of the old $2 notes with the fantails on them.

18. Post
    Fantails are good, follow me around at work, catching all the bugs i kick up, also hear a lot of Tui, shining cuckoo and one of my favorite bird sounds the Grey warbler.

19. Post
    Bird of the year according to Heff [minor NSFW don't go looking]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATRANSPLAYMATE.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	219558

garlin wrote:
    It has always amused me that our national bird is blind, flightless, and generally useless.
    It also lays large eggs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G9eVgAa.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	219559