Results 1 to 13 of 13

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    I wish I had something more witty to say but really all that can be said about this is: Activision is gonna Activision.

  3. Post
    #3
    However, the patented technology (the "system and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games") puts an emphasis on pairing up players of disparate levels, so those of lower level will be more tempted to even things by shelling out cash for items.
    Or I'll be tempted to stay the hell away from your game, Activision.

  4. Post
    #4
    And the worst gaming company in the world award goes toOoOO........

  5. Post
    #5
    frankthetank wrote:
    And the worst gaming company in the world award goes toOoOO........
    EA!

  6. Post
    #6
    frankthetank wrote:
    And the worst gaming company in the world award goes toOoOO........
    You're really going to criticize a business for making a business decision?

    It's amazing how many people still think the world is here to serve them and only them.

  7. Post
    #7
    ChrisB wrote:
    EA!
    This, let's not forget that SW: BF2 is already using an implementation of micro-transactions that is arguably just as bad as the one in this unimplemented patent.

    Privoxy wrote:
    You're really going to criticize a business for making a business decision?
    When it's a poor one, sure. Nobody wins from these micro-transactions - customers are getting a raw deal and are publishers cutting off their nose to spite their face for short term gains and long term losses when gambling laws catch up and the fines + rating restrictions start rolling in.

    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this patent itself was used as direct evidence to show ratings boards examples of the casino-style strong-arming tactics that are becoming more and more popular.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 18th October 2017 at 7:06 pm.

  8. Post
    #8
    Just to be clear I have never bought a single micro transaction and never will (at least as far as the current style are concerned). Furthermore I would also steer away from any game that required them to be fun.

    BURN_BABY wrote:
    This, let's not forget that SW: BF2 is already using an implementation of micro-transactions that is arguably just as bad as the one in this unimplemented patent.

    When it's a poor one, sure. Nobody wins from these micro-transactions - customers are getting a raw deal
    Arguably the people that are buying them are 'winning' assuming they find said item affordable.

    BURN_BABY wrote:
    and are publishers cutting off their nose to spite their face for short term gains and long term losses when gambling laws catch up and the fines + rating restrictions start rolling in.

    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this patent itself was used as direct evidence to show ratings boards examples of the casino-style strong-arming tactics that are becoming more and more popular.
    Hold on, as long as the micro transaction item is clearly defined that doesn't involve an element of luck there is no way that it would fall under gambling legislation. This system clearly is a not a loot crate style system. Its whole basis is telling the consumer exactly what they will get.

  9. Post
    #9
    Soon, someone will put a bidding system where they can automatically win a game or matchup by bidding more RL cash ! yay!

  10. Post
    #10
    next thing Activision will be offering is to play the game for you, for a nominal fee of course.

  11. Post
    #11
    gooseman77 wrote:
    next thing Activision will be offering is to play the game for you, for a nominal fee of course.
    And how well they do will depend on what skill level you get from the randomised loot crate

  12. Post
    #12
    Privoxy wrote:
    You're really going to criticize a business for making a business decision?

    It's amazing how many people still think the world is here to serve them and only them.
    Read the first sentence of this and then see how it can be applied to your second sentence. Unless you did that on purpose in which case nice.

  13. Post
    #13
    Arguably the people that are buying them are 'winning' assuming they find said item affordable.
    That depends on if they're having fun doing it. The reason why MM is implemented in so many online games these days is because it's just more fun to play against guys around your skill level. This patent goes completely against that line of thinking.