1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    well hopefully he leaves soon so the next CEO can change Steam focus back to making games

3. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    well hopefully he leaves soon so the next CEO can change Steam focus back to making games
    So long as capitalism reigns it'll take a lot more than a CEO change to make a company move away from focusing on profitability...

4. Post
    Remember how piracy was going to destroy all gaming development?

5. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    So long as capitalism reigns it'll take a lot more than a CEO change to make a company move away from focusing on profitability...
    well it depends on the CEO, they may want to take it or restart a different direction, we know Gabe has no interest in the game development but rather just want to keep the dollars flowing in . A new CEO will want to make his mark

6. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    well it depends on the CEO, they may want to take it or restart a different direction, we know Gabe has no interest in the game development but rather just want to keep the dollars flowing in . A new CEO will want to make his mark
    A CEO doesn't control their own targets.

What you're talking about is the board, who are representing shareholders, decide they don't like money any more and no longer expect to see a return on their investment.

And even if a board took this stunningly rare approach, it'd simply get them voted off the board by said shareholders...

7. Post
    private company tho, Gabe could just be the sole shareholder ( unlikely of course )
    Last edited by Bloody; 20th October 2017 at 2:55 pm.

8. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    private company tho, Gabe could just be the sole shareholder ( unlikely of course )
    The article we're commenting on literally mentions that he appears to only own roughly half :-P

And even if he has the 51 percent controlling stake he can still be voted off the board for making decisions that reduce their sustainability by reducing earnings...no joke.

9. Post
    So monopoly does pay after all.

10. Post
    I wonder if he would pay me any money since I've clearly done my part in getting him there.

11. Post
    if you were around at the beginning of steam, where it's was mainly a hub for patches, mods and online play for half-life based games, it's amazing what it's turned into.

12. Post
    Turned into the capitalization incarnate. Sure it was lacking in many ways in the early days but the mass flood of games, terrible store front page, shit support and all the other bs no one waned ruined it for me.

GOG just shits on steam for my needs.