Results 1 to 13 of 13

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    It'll be interesting to see what price these go for

  3. Post
    #3
    Ohhhh black was one of the best games

    Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

  4. Post
    #4
    Stupid that Microsoft think doing some reverse compatibility of Xbox original games on the Xbox One will make any difference. Unless the reverse compatibility is going to be significant, it's a waste of time for both the manufacturer and the end user, as the original Xbox will always be the superior product for this purpose. Even though MS claim there's going to be "up to 4x the pixel count" for some the games, I doubt that their software emulation and 480p upscaling will make much difference for the majority of the games, which in turn is currently less than 1% of its 1045 game library (which probably won't surpass ~20% as seen with the Xbox 360). The only thing reverse compatibility does is increase demand for the original second-hand games (which MS makes no money on), so it's dubious if it actually increases hardware sales.

  5. Post
    #5
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    words..
    Wasn't the whole point of the original xbox that it was a console that used PC standard x86 architecture and the directX graphical API? in which case it's quite possible to re-render the game data at higher resolutions and colour depths (although without the actual colour information in the textures this would be all interpolated colour) without emulation and filtered upscaling?

  6. Post
    #6
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    Stupid that Microsoft think doing some reverse compatibility of Xbox original games on the Xbox One will make any difference. Unless the reverse compatibility is going to be significant, it's a waste of time for both the manufacturer and the end user, as the original Xbox will always be the superior product for this purpose
    Did you look at that KOTOR comparison? Pretty dramatic difference.

  7. Post
    #7
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    Stupid that Microsoft think doing some reverse compatibility of Xbox original games on the Xbox One will make any difference. Unless the reverse compatibility is going to be significant, it's a waste of time for both the manufacturer and the end user, as the original Xbox will always be the superior product for this purpose. Even though MS claim there's going to be "up to 4x the pixel count" for some the games, I doubt that their software emulation and 480p upscaling will make much difference for the majority of the games, which in turn is currently less than 1% of its 1045 game library (which probably won't surpass ~20% as seen with the Xbox 360). The only thing reverse compatibility does is increase demand for the original second-hand games (which MS makes no money on), so it's dubious if it actually increases hardware sales.
    Thing is, despite being <1% of the full games library, it will actually be the most functional Xbox emulator on the market right now, CXBX plays a handful of games (with only a single game listed as 'perfect' i.e. the standard that MS would release their equivalent emulated games) and XQEMU doesn't have working audio.

    This is a great opportunity for Microsoft to get an extra revenue stream before these emulators catch up and for them to win a 'war of convenience' by bypassing the tedium of setting emulators up and dealing with all the pesky game-specific workarounds that sometimes just don't work.

  8. Post
    #8
    KnightNZ wrote:
    Did you look at that KOTOR comparison? Pretty dramatic difference.
    At least it looks comparable to the Windows and Android version. However, I don't see how making KOTOR look better on Xbox One makes much sense, as playing it natively on PC is better in pretty much every way. Unless MS can somehow improve the graphics of a significant amount of Xbox games, it seem like a waste of time, especially if the games were released on other platforms.

    BURN_BABY wrote:
    This is a great opportunity for Microsoft to get an extra revenue stream before these emulators catch up and for them to win a 'war of convenience' by bypassing the tedium of setting emulators up and dealing with all the pesky game-specific workarounds that sometimes just don't work.
    Unless reverse compatibility makes people buy Xbox Ones, surely MS won't be making any money. The only thing it does is increase the demand on the old games. Although it's true that the emulation of Xbox games is still pretty much non-existent, at least you don't necessarily need the disc.

    tldr; any attempts at reverse compatibility is stupid unless there's going to be high compatibility and/or improvements to the games. The Wii/Gamecube and PS1/PS2 are good examples.

  9. Post
    #9
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    Unless reverse compatibility makes people buy Xbox Ones, surely MS won't be making any money. The only thing it does is increase the demand on the old games. Although it's true that the emulation of Xbox games is still pretty much non-existent, at least you don't necessarily need the disc.
    Eh? You realise they're selling the old games as a digital download, right?

  10. Post
    #10
    MockStar wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see what price these go for
    $19.95 for most of them


    I hope they add Vice City and Hit and Run

  11. Post
    #11
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    At least it looks comparable to the Windows and Android version. However, I don't see how making KOTOR look better on Xbox One makes much sense, as playing it natively on PC is better in pretty much every way. Unless MS can somehow improve the graphics of a significant amount of Xbox games, it seem like a waste of time, especially if the games were released on other platforms.
    But with this logic, no-one should make any games for console that are on PC as well, because it can look better on PC...

  12. Post
    #12
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    Name:  Blah blah blah.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  68.2 KB
    Sold my original xbox and 100 games to fund my 360 purchase, had most of these titles. It's going to be good to be able to play them again without having to have the original disc or system, Ninja Gaiden Black, SW:KOTOR, Prince of Persia and Crimson Skies especially.

    p.s. no offence Senior Mouse

  13. Post
    #13
    That's actually a *really* good list. And the fact they can work with just the disk is pretty awesome.