A thread to discuss how Jacinda will make NZ Choice again

Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.73 average.
(11 votes)
Results 6,101 to 6,125 of 7015

1. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    My friend gave me a rump steak of venison he'd shot once and it was rubbish. I think I cooked it wrong but I also suspect it's a bit tough and nasty because they spend their lives running around instead of laxing like cows.

You mean the 180 ones in Japanese cars?

My first Skyline (not the black one) had a bell that would go off every time I went over 110. Not cool.

Yeah, because most crashes are fender benders. The majority of fatal accidents would be happening at over 100kph.

Even in combat, shooting targets out of helicopters doesn't come up much. I suppose they could do it if they wanted but it's not really appropriate.
    Did he age it and bleed it before giving it to you?

Venison is hot and fast. Medium rare and never well done.

2. Post
    Might have been sambar

3. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    I have zero problems with this being done and the sooner it happens the better.

I also have no issue with firearms being banned outright apart from police and military use.
    cheers, while we're at it we're banning all violent movies and games (especially those with guns in them).

4. Post
    When someone dies by being sconed in the head by a video game cartridge your comparison may have merit

5. Post
    cartridge? What is this cartridge you speak of?

6. Post
    You're old enough to get my jib young man

7. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Did he age it and bleed it before giving it to you?

Venison is hot and fast. Medium rare and never well done.
    I gave my dad a fallow roast and he overcooked it. God damn it was a waste. Medium rare as you said is good.

8. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Yeah... that's not the majority of fatal accidents though is it?

So 100 or near enough to it?
    It's not in a 50 zone, is it?

You're just baulking at something very uncontroversial that I said because you're worried about speeding fines or accidents being blamed on speeding or something.
    Are you telling us that the Police statistics are wrong?

You have a head-on where both cars are doing 50 and you've got a ****ing hell of a mess. Both of the fatal accidents I've seen were a vehicle getting T-boned at relatively low speed (one max 50, the other about 70). Yeah, if you hit something at over 100 you're in for a world of hurt, but it just doesn't happen that often because the actual number of cars doing those speeds is a small proportion of all cars that are stacking into things and most of the time they're doing it on a road where there's not a lot to hit. You're safer doing 110 on a new expressway than doing 80 on say SH22, driving to the conditions or not.

Calling it uncontroversial might be true in many circles, but it's still wrong.

9. Post
    Veni is delicious, the king of meats imo.

10. Post
    mmario wrote:
    Veni is delicious, the king of meats imo.
    Yes but we have Fallow/Red/Sika/Sambar/Rusa/Wapiti/Whitetail in NZ. And they all taste different. Red deer usually needs aging. Fallow is a fine sweet and delicate meat. Sambar has been likened to chewing an old tyre. Then you get the differences between rutting stag and tender doe meat.

11. Post
    What kind is it usually at supermarkets/restaurants?

12. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Red. If you can get your hands on fallow grab it.

13. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    My friend gave me a rump steak of venison he'd shot once and it was rubbish. I think I cooked it wrong but I also suspect it's a bit tough and nasty because they spend their lives running around instead of laxing like cows.
    Yeah, only steaks I eat as steaks from a red deer are the back-steaks (fillets I guess? Not sure what the fancy term for them is, the muscles that run directly along the spine and underneath), and they're best rare, medium rare if you've aged it. The rump I usually turn into biltong or roasts - and to roast it well you need a lardon and a bunch of bacon fat to thread through it.

But as Vulcan said, if they're from a red, the meat needs aging to be good - and to not be from a smelly old bastard stag. Hinds and spikers are where the good meat's at. Two weeks in paper bags in the fridge is good for aging the venison from a red in my experience.

Fallow venison is great though, no need to age it (although aging makes it even more awesome), far less gamey. Shit, I really want to go hunting again now, go sit in a bush for 10 hours to shoot a fallow.

14. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Usually farmed red deer, although a few places will proudly do wild venison, and tell you as much. I had a wild pork ragu in Wellywood, was top notch. Most of the wild venison harvested by WARO operators is exported to Germany, they have a massive hard-on for eating wild venison, I suspect it's due to hunting being in their blood, but being so locked down and regulated now.

Fun fact - NZ chamois are one of the biggest sources of the fibres used in stupid looking traditional Southern German hat ornaments because their own chamois are so rare now.

15. Post
    swazi wrote:
    I gave my dad a fallow roast and he overcooked it. God damn it was a waste. Medium rare as you said is good.
    I prefer not to associate with barbarians

If I had to choose between a wild pig and a red I'd probably choose the pig.

I have had some success with goats when I shoot a few nannies. But it is kind of stringy and very lean.

The venison from my first deer was certainly the most satisfying.

16. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    I have had some success with goats when I shoot a few nannies. But it is kind of stringy and very lean.
    Definitely a very slow cooked curry.

17. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Definitely a very slow cooked curry.
    Yeah I need to make a curry sauce that's decently strong.

The patak jars are only good for chicken.

I am going to wood smoke and then bake with bbq sauce the next nanny I shoot.

18. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Yeah I need to make a curry sauce that's decently strong.

The patak jars are only good for chicken.

I am going to wood smoke and then bake with bbq sauce the next nanny I shoot.
    You should be avoiding jar sauces anyway. They are loaded with sugar.

19. Post
    I found a quite decent recipe I used to make a goat curry, I'll see if I can dig it up

20. Post
    bas wrote:
    You should be avoiding jar sauces anyway. They are loaded with sugar.
    I didn't check that. But that's a good point.

i.e.awesome wrote:
    I found a quite decent recipe I used to make a goat curry, I'll see if I can dig it up
    Cheers.

21. Post
    Cheers. I have to sight my new howa in so it'll be a while til I go for a goat mission. Found a new spot X so off for some rusa :3

Exciting times for this young man.

22. Post
    Anyone else been watching the Euthanasia debates? They have all been pretty good so far. Was really impressed by Greg O'Conner's

23. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Cheers. I have to sight my new howa in so it'll be a while til I go for a goat mission. Found a new spot X so off for some rusa :3

Exciting times for this young man.
    Excellent choice in rifle, I had the ranch in 243. But I hardly used it after I got the Ruger (300BLK), so finally sold it just before Christmas.

24. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Excellent choice in rifle, I had the ranch in 243. But I hardly used it after I got the Ruger (300BLK), so finally sold it just before Christmas.
    I have it in 243 too. Bit less mileage than my old 308. But better for my girlfriend to shoot and for how far I am shooting its more than adequate.

I will have some reloads up and running soon.