A thread to discuss how Jacinda will make NZ Choice again

Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.73 average.
(11 votes)
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 7124

1. Post
    I am from NZ born and bred and to be honest, I couldnt give a flying f about the maori language.

Let it die honestly. I don't want my kids to embrace a language that is 99% useless to the world.

Although I think it should be an option to learn it at school

2. Post
    How is it that we end up with all of the Mike Hosking talkback people in here?

3. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    It's a free speech world? Or is gpforums still a lefty echo chamber

4. Post
    Thanks caller #1

5. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Kinda racist comment, I'm surprised no one has called you out for it.

Oh wait, it's a comment directed at asians and this current govt has legitimized racism against Asians. Carry on.

Better not comment on how white some Maori are though.
    sorry if I came across as racist, if we look at say hofsted cultural insights we can see a difference in power distance, individualism, LTO, Indulgence between for example NZ and China.

I think in NZ the idea of marrying someone who you aren't in love with seems crazy. Like to sacrifice bonding/communicating with someone you really connect with, in exchange for wealth, beauty status etc is weird for a lot of NZers, but in Chinese culture it's more much normal to pick someone who is good for the family.. maybe they have financial security and that is more important than someone you are in love with.

In NZ because we have such low power distance...we can put away a lot of the labels we have for people and focus on connecting, which is difficult for a lot of cultures that have more of a hierarchical structure... I'm not saying either is right or wrong just different... and of course a framework like Hoefstede is to be taken with a grain of salt, every person is different.. you could be Chinese and think like the kiwi depicted or kiwi and think like a Chinese.

Name:  culture.png
Views: 425
Size:  38.4 KB

6. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It's a free speech world? Or is gpforums still a lefty echo chamber
    Look at all the posters over the last couple pages, it's you, Bobs, Vulcan, Indigo etc real hard to read lol

7. Post
    Timmi wrote:
    sorry if I came across as racist, if we look at say hofsted cultural insights we can see a difference in power distance, individualism, LTO, Indulgence between for example NZ and China.

I think in NZ the idea of marrying someone who you aren't in love with seems crazy. Like to sacrifice bonding/communicating with someone you really connect with, in exchange for wealth, beauty status etc is weird for a lot of NZers, but in Chinese culture it's more much normal to pick someone who is good for the family.. maybe they have financial security and that is more important than someone you are in love with.

In NZ because we have such low power distance...we can put away a lot of the labels we have for people and focus on connecting, which is difficult for a lot of cultures that have more of a hierarchical structure... I'm not saying either is right or wrong just different... and of course a framework like Hoefstede is to be taken with a grain of salt, every person is different.. you could be Chinese and think like the kiwi depicted or kiwi and think like a Chinese.

Name:  culture.png
Views: 425
Size:  38.4 KB
    Even a bar for toxic masculinity - we're beating China there at least

8. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    I am from NZ born and bred and to be honest, I couldnt give a flying f about the maori language.

Let it die honestly. I don't want my kids to embrace a language that is 99% useless to the world.

I for one am shocked.

Were your parents shocked when they gave birth to a 60 something boomer?

9. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    Were your parents shocked when they gave birth to a 60 something boomer?
    Lol

10. Post

11. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    I think learning a second language is important since there are benefits to doing so. In our current globalised world it's even more important.

Maori should definately be optional but would benefit from such a scenario anyway.

12. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    They've actually introduced some stealth legislation for the 2020 tax years.
    Ring fencing residential rental losses is going to rip quite a few peoples undies.
    Ah yes, I know about that. Even had a stealthy name to disguise it: Taxation (Annual Rates for 2019–20, GST Offshore Supplier Registration, and Remedial Matters) Bill.
    Its just a tax to landlords

13. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    over time they start to concentrate in platforms that actually tolerate their shit

14. Post
    holocaust wrote:

do you realise how hard it is to learn a language? The kids aren't going to learn that much really unless they make it mandatory in high school.

15. Post
    swazi wrote:
    they should be thankful the guillotine isn't getting sharpened yet

16. Post
    NaCh0 wrote:
    do you realise how hard it is to learn a language? The kids aren't going to learn that much really unless they make it mandatory in high school.
    That's why I said people shouldn't be learning maori as a second language at schools unless it was an option rather than a compulsory subject.

17. Post
    I was forced to learn a second language and bit of third language. Fat good its done me, besides being able to talk shit about people without them knowing what Im saying.

18. Post
    swazi wrote:
    I was forced to learn a second language and bit of third language. Fat good its done me, besides being able to talk shit about people without them knowing what Im saying.
    Which languages?

I would think that's incentive enough.

19. Post
    We should teach Maori because it's language and and culture are intertweined, and Maori culture, is a distinct and special part of NZ culture. Maori is more important than French or German or Japanese or yes, even ****ing Mandarin, because New Zealand is a bicultural country by implicit constitution, Maori and Pakeha.

And yep, fully support teaching NZSL too.

20. Post
    You can teach it but to actually learn it you need to use it, i wouldn't even know where to use it when i lot of the people i deal with don't even know english all that well.

21. Post
    HellToupee wrote:
    You can teach it but to actually learn it you need to use it, i wouldn't even know where to use it when i lot of the people i deal with don't even know english all that well.
    That is true of just about every subject taught at school.

22. Post
    HellToupee wrote:
    Well, if we're teaching it to everyone, then everyone has some, so it's more usable. We should do like Wales did and go officially bilingual - signs in English and Te Reo.

As GPForums user brand mentions, your same concern applies to French, German, Latin, Japanese, Calculus.
    I haven't done any calculus since leaving seventh form, and the amount of Latin I've bothered with since 3rd form...

...or the amounts of time as an adult I've analysed the usage of colour to convey emotion in Jane Campion's The Piano...

23. Post
    I thought Maori was already mandatory in schools. I learnt a bit of it at primary school in Wellington. I wonder if they'll decide to make it mandatory in high school or something.

24. Post
    Jacinda made the rugby streaming fail.

25. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    They've actually introduced some stealth legislation for the 2020 tax years.
    Ring fencing residential rental losses is going to rip quite a few peoples undies.
    Does that mean that the losses will not be able to be offset by lower tax bills etc?

swazi wrote:
    Ah yes, I know about that. Even had a stealthy name to disguise it: Taxation (Annual Rates for 201920, GST Offshore Supplier Registration, and Remedial Matters) Bill.
    I have yet to be surprised by the dastardly behaviour of the most open and transparent government ever. Or just government in general.

Although I can see how it's necessary.