1. Post
    Galent wrote:
    So it looks like TPP is progressing. Why are people not protesting in the streets like previous years?
    Because its lefties that protest.

2. Post
    frio wrote:
    Because parts of it have changed. My big fear was the collection of compromises to Pharmac; those have been -- at least, as reported -- neutered.
    This was one of my main concerns too.

I see there is still clauses that will allow foreign companies to take the government to court though.

That's bad.

3. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Because its lefties that protest. Righties are too busy working paying their dole
    This is a strange way of looking at it - aren't they perhaps "lefties" (read: progressive) because society has failed them already, and they are pushing for change? Of course 'righties' don't protest when the system often elevates their already privileged position.

4. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    No, we need bradc unloading left and right. He's the best sniper on here(probably a better shot than Vulcan irl too)
    that bait is a bit stale.

5. Post
    Galent wrote:
    This was one of my main concerns too.

I see there is still clauses that will allow foreign companies to take the government to court though.

That's bad.
    yeah the ISDS provisions are in there, it sounds like a bit of smoke and mirrors to me.

6. Post
    Galent wrote:
    So it looks like TPP is progressing. Why are people not protesting in the streets like previous years?
    People are tired and the worlds problems seem more insurmountable than ever. Also summer and Xmas season is here and people can't be ****ed with politics when they're thinking about the beach. I think I remember National doing the state asset sales around this lethargic season. Genius.

But other than that... it's good to see Labour care about negotiating and not simply bending over and spreading their butt cheeks.

7. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    yeah the ISDS provisions are in there, it sounds like a bit of smoke and mirrors to me.
    https://thestandard.org.nz/the-tpp11...e-gone-almost/

They have been significantly narrowed. Labour have actually done a lot to improve the TPP, and they're also doing it fairly transparently - unlike National. It's too early for me to endorse it, I'd need to look into it more closely, but preliminary reports do sound encouraging and it would bring significant improvements to workers lives in places like Malaysia.

8. Post
    If National were pushing the TPP in its current state you're being very naive if you think the same people that opposed it before wouldn't oppose it now. The Greens still don't support it, business groups do, that is telling enough of how people would perceive it if National were still the ones pushing it forward.

9. Post
    DW wrote:
    If National were pushing the TPP in its current state you're being very naive if you think the same people that opposed it before wouldn't oppose it now. The Greens still don't support it, business groups do, that is telling enough of how people would perceive it if National were still the ones pushing it forward.
    You'd also be naive to think that no-one would change their position when it's been significantly amended and done without the US. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Lets be real.

10. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    You'd also be naive to think that no-one would change their position when it's been significantly amended and done without the US. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Lets be real.
    Significantly amended is a bit of a stretch. The majority of it is as before Labour took over, and there are still several interested parties strongly opposed to it.

11. Post
    silvereye wrote:
    But other than that... it's good to see Labour care about negotiating and not simply bending over and spreading their butt cheeks.
    That was John Key's forte.

12. Post
    TPP all the big players have walked away.
    Here you go, we'll borrow our way out of poverty...
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/988...n-labours-plan

13. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    But wasnt that the major catchcry of the left?
    National has risen this countries debt too damn high! We will fix it by borrowing more!

14. Post
    I beleive it was "we don't know the cost of out policies, but whatever national says ($11 billion) is wrong!

So Labour were right, national had the figure wrong!
    YAY!.. I guess

15. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    The good old American method.

Also I don't really get the whole, "Lets borrow more and at the same time cut debt" unless you're expecting to economy to grow massively, which as far as I'm aware is nowhere near Labour's game plan.

16. Post
    Daynger wrote:
    But wasnt that the major catchcry of the left?
    National has risen this countries debt too damn high! We will fix it by borrowing more!
    So Joyce was right all along. Not surprised. This govt won't last a year.

17. Post
    I suppose you conveniently glossed over the part that says National would have likely increased borrowing also.

18. Post
    Why can't we just apply the brilliant economic method from the '30s that succeeded in halting inflation: rationing.

19. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    I suppose you conveniently glossed over the part that says National would have likely increased borrowing also.
    Joyce said there was a $11b hole in the budget
    The left wing pundits called him a joke
    Now Labour needs to borrow $11b to make their bribes...i mean "promises" come through.

Just a total coincidence I'm sure.

20. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Why can't we just apply the brilliant economic method from the '30s that succeeded in halting inflation: rationing.
    We can always print more money like the Greens proposed. That's worked great in the past. Worked great in Zimbabwe also.

21. Post
    http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/...us-island.html

Money well spent, that will solve NZ's child poverty and housing.

22. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Joyce said there was a $11b hole in the budget
    The left wing pundits called him a joke
    Now Labour needs to borrow $11b to make their bribes...i mean "promises" come through.

Just a total coincidence I'm sure.
    From what I gathered from the article some of the ANZ economists said they thought it might be 2-3b more than the budget, and ASB said it might be 1b more.

As I said, they also said National would have likely increased borrowing as well. If you're going to say Labour's election promises were 'bribes' you need to hold National to the same standard. How were their tax cuts anything but an election bribe? Same with their bs 'Roads of National Significance'.

Though I don't expect you to be impartial in these matters as you've proven time and time again.

23. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    From what I gathered from the article some of the ANZ economists said they thought it might be 2-3b more than the budget, and ASB said it might be 1b more.

As I said, they also said National would have likely increased borrowing as well. If you're going to say Labour's election promises were 'bribes' you need to hold National to the same standard. How were their tax cuts anything but an election bribe? Same with their bs 'Roads of National Significance'.

Though I don't expect you to be impartial in these matters as you've proven time and time again.
    National had been promising tax cuts for years, hardly an election bribe. Unlike a certain other party that suddenly said "hey, free education for everyone. Vote for meeeee". Also unlike Labour they had costed them out and planned it out years in advance. Labour were so desperate to get back into govt they basically just promised everything and worried about the spending later.

Also, speaking of spending, great to see Labour give $3m to those kiwi kids in Manus Island.

24. Post
    Bobs wrote:

Also, speaking of spending, great to see Labour give $3m to those kiwi kids in Manus Island.
    I bet your milk of human kindness now resembles parmesan cheese - old, dry, and smells a bit like feet.

25. Post
    Giving $3 million of taxpayers' money to a corrupt foreign government is probably one of the more hare-brained ideas Comrade Ardern's had thus far.