A thread to discuss how Jacinda will make NZ Choice again

Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.73 average.
(11 votes)
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 6742

  1. Post
    WillAY wrote:
    You've got an objective measurement and a subjective opinion there. I think I somewhat agree with you, in that I prefer to watch men play sports, but not sure I'm totally on board with the value judgement there.

    With regards to pay parity, I can see the approach that what you are paid should be looked at in conjunction with what you bring in to the sport (Rhonda Rousey echoed this sentiment when asked about pay parity for female athletes). However, I do wonder if there may be a bit of a chicken and egg situation here where parity (or closer to parity) would allow female divisions to encourage talent and then bring the viewers and revenue.

    Not sure how all that relates to closed and open divisions in sports though.
    The value is simple. Faster stronger better. Its not even opinion, its fact.

  2. Post
    swazi wrote:
    The value is simple. Faster stronger better. Its not even opinion, its fact.
    No. It's subjective. Now, I happen to agree with you, but that's just my opinion.

  3. Post
    kierbear wrote:
    Literally everybody uses filler words.
    True. Maybe hers just stick with me better than others.

    St4lk3r wrote:
    Oh yea she's defo worse than old Tim shadbolt too.....


    Hahaha
    I have no memory of Tim shad bolt publicly speaking. Maybe ever since I left school I paid more attention to politics? Which would coincide with Commissar Cindy's rise to power.

  4. Post
    It's funny how for some people there's no grey area when it comes to social democracy. It's either liberteritardism or communism.

  5. Post
    kierbear wrote:
    Bobs has made it clear in the past that he views trans people as "mentally ill" and no accomodations for them should be made.
    And yet I just said otherwise did I not? Did I not just say that a person born female can compete with men if they want to? You really are a massive troll, I am amazed how you are still around.

    Also I said that a large number of people that do surgery to get their bits chopped off are mentally ill, this is a fact backed up by studies. Many of these people have other illnesses going on and are on medication, hence the need to be very very robust before just doing the surgery. Which is not quite what you are suggesting, but then again, you are the master of taking someones words and twisting them.

  6. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Or, you know, trans people could just compete in the sex they were born into. Radical idea, it may never take on.
    yeah totally twisted your words.

  7. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    And yet I just said otherwise did I not? Did I not just say that a person born female can compete with men if they want to? You really are a massive troll, I am amazed how you are still around.

    Also I said that a large number of people that do surgery to get their bits chopped off are mentally ill, this is a fact backed up by studies. Many of these people have other illnesses going on and are on medication, hence the need to be very very robust before just doing the surgery. Which is not quite what you are suggesting, but then again, you are the master of taking someones words and twisting them.
    The Netherlands just euthanised a 20 year old girl because she said she was depressed and wanted to die. (She was not terminally ill or anything just felt depressed)
    The system is giving a lot of freedoms to people that are not well

  8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The Netherlands just euthanised a 20 year old girl because she said she was depressed and wanted to die. (She was not terminally ill or anything just felt depressed)
    The system is giving a lot of freedoms to people that are not well
    This turned out to be a case of false reporting. She killed herself. She had applied for euthanasia but was turned down so instead she simply refused to eat.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-died-at-home

  9. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Yeah mate, clearly she should've been using the Ancient Greek word meaning "people from Palestine", what a moron for using English.
    I think you're missing your own point.

  10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The Netherlands just euthanised a 20 year old girl because she said she was depressed and wanted to die. (She was not terminally ill or anything just felt depressed)
    The system is giving a lot of freedoms to people that are not well
    lol didn't happen

  11. Post
    WillAY wrote:
    No. It's subjective. Now, I happen to agree with you, but that's just my opinion.
    It's fact, look at the Silver Ferns vs a random thrown together mens team, or the Aussie Womens soccer team that got smashed by a boy secondary school team. And all the record differences between men and women in various athletic events.

    I think one issue is men mostly prefer to watch mens sports. Women tend not to have as much interest in sports - so womens sports simply lack the potential audience size.

  12. Post
    If there was a female footballer who was good enough to play in one of the top leagues in the world, then she would be the highest paid player in the world. Possibly even the highest paid athlete in any sport. An absolute marketing goldmine. Unfortunately they play at a high school level. That's why no one wants to watch it.

  13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    It's fact, look at the Silver Ferns vs a random thrown together mens team, or the Aussie Womens soccer team that got smashed by a boy secondary school team. And all the record differences between men and women in various athletic events.

    I think one issue is men mostly prefer to watch mens sports. Women tend not to have as much interest in sports - so womens sports simply lack the potential audience size.
    I don't think people are choosing one sex because they are sexist.

    As someone who enjoys sports - I tend to watch the version of my sport that has the most athletic athletes performing the most exciting plays etc.

    Unfortunately for women, that happens to be men in most sports. I still watch female sports, like Gymnastics at the Olympics because they are more athletic there imo. But when it comes to Basketball, Rugby Cricket etc I only watch the men's version because the female aesthetes don't have the athleticism to be anywhere near as exciting to watch.

    To put this into perspective - a 14 year old boys high school basketball game is far, far more exciting than watching a professional female basketball game from the WNBA.

    The Americans female soccer team that just won the world cup? Yeah, 6 months ago in training they got beat 5 goals to 1 by a 14 year old high school boys team, let that sink in.

    And yes as you say most females are not interested in watching sport, at least that is my experience. I think women's sport should stop demanding more pay and start focusing on why they can't get viewers - they need to be encouraging more females to watch and play sport.

  14. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The Netherlands just euthanised a 20 year old girl because she said she was depressed and wanted to die. (She was not terminally ill or anything just felt depressed)
    The system is giving a lot of freedoms to people that are not well
    bas wrote:
    This turned out to be a case of false reporting. She killed herself. She had applied for euthanasia but was turned down so instead she simply refused to eat.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-died-at-home
    kierbear wrote:
    lol didn't happen
    Cricket noises from SirGrim as usual.

  15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    It's fact, look at the Silver Ferns vs a random thrown together mens team, or the Aussie Womens soccer team that got smashed by a boy secondary school team. And all the record differences between men and women in various athletic events.

    I think one issue is men mostly prefer to watch mens sports. Women tend not to have as much interest in sports - so womens sports simply lack the potential audience size.
    I think you're missing the point. I'm not debating the ability of men to outperform women. I'm simply arguing that a given viewer's enjoyment of male or female sports is subjective.

    You and I prefer to watch male sports - this is our preference. This preference is very likely to be the dominant choice among the wider viewing public, but I can't believe for an instant that there is no one who prefers to watch female sport (for whatever reasons that may be).

  16. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Cricket noises from SirGrim as usual.
    BTFO'd over and over again by the libs as usual

  17. Post
    Different sports but Didn’t more people watch the women’s soccer World Cup over cricket lol

  18. Post
    Money in sports is less to do with sporting talent and more to do with marketability.

  19. Post
    NaCh0 wrote:
    Different sports but Didn’t more people watch the women’s soccer World Cup over cricket lol
    I highly doubt that -how many Cricket followers are there in India?

  20. Post
    Usually the marketability is related to how successful you are though.

  21. Post
    brand wrote:
    Money in sports is less to do with sporting talent and more to do with marketability.
    Huh? The best athletes will nearly always be the most marketable, being a contender with a likeable/unlikeable personality is the only other way. Competence is the constant though.

  22. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Cricket noises from SirGrim as usual.
    probably tired from all that winning

  23. Post
    usurper wrote:
    Huh? The best athletes will nearly always be the most marketable, being a contender with a likeable/unlikeable personality is the only other way. Competence is the constant though.
    I was more referring to the marketability of the sport rather than the individual athletes. I agree it is definitely easier to market winners rather than losers.

    Triatheletes must be some of the fittest, best athletes on the planet -I could not name a single one off the top of my head. The fact I would not be able to recognise them on the street has nothing to do with their lack of ability.

  24. Post
    Oh yeah I thought you meant the individuals. Yeah a triathlon highlight reel would be pretty dull.

    Regarding the trans athlete topic, if all current olympic records are held by men, isn't the logical eventuality that womens sports will be dominated by transwomen, and that transmen will only have the opportunity to be competitive if their hormone intake starts at or around puberty but all others will be at a strength disadvantage and much less likely to compete at an elite level? Is that just a crazy/uninformed take?

  25. Post
    the crazier thing is assuming that there's anybody willing to undergo years of therapy and hormone therapy before undertaking GRS just to get a sports record, since that has never happened before ever